Advice please complaint pumps cabin noise compensatin help

cosytoes

I think that you should get more than $50 OBC for this. I would make a list of all of the time you spent on this plus the items you missed because of this and come up with a recommended compensation. You will likely be able to get a bigger amount if it's a FCC but those likely need to be used in 1 or 2 years so choose that only if you can use it! If it's OBC - I think $25 for days you complained and $50 for days you had to move is a good target amount to ask for. But - make sure you have the evidence - even if it's just a list!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You're on a ship. You're going to hear strange noises you're not used to. Flushing water, pumping, bilge drainage, machinery, compressors, and even deck grinders at times.

But honestly - that pumping noise from the pool might make me go to the bathroom each night, so....

I think that you should get more than $50 OBC for this. I would make a list of all of the time you spent on this plus the items you missed because of this and come up with a recommended compensation. You will likely be able to get a bigger amount if it's a FCC but those likely need to be used in 1 or 2 years so choose that only if you can use it! If it's OBC - I think $25 for days you complained and $50 for days you had to move is a good target amount to ask for. But - make sure you have the evidence - even if it's just a list!

disagree. it all boils down to they requested a GUARANTEE CABIN. that by and of itself means you takes what you gets and oh well if you are not thrilled. they did not have to be moved but they were. they got lucky in that a free cabin ended up being available that could accommodate them, even if they did have to move more than once. I am betting they didn't even have to do the actual moving themselves, either, as typically the cabin stewards are tasked with that extra duty in cases like this.

What has the travel agent got to do with this - from what Im reading OP booked a guarantee - cruiseline assigned.

They booked through a TA. The TA sold them a guarantee cabin and should have explained that they were only guaranteed the minimum available inside stateroom with a location to be determined at a later date and may include being next to or under noisy areas. A good TA would have asked questions about their clients that may have led to selecting a specific cabin or area and avoided the uncertainty that comes with a guarantee cabin. They did not book directly with the cruise line, their cabin location should not be the fault of Royal.

Thanks for all your help. I feel some of you have been a bit harsh.

The cabin was next to the elevator and whilst on the deck below the pool actually no where near it. So we were happy with it and checked online and it had no negative reviews. If that had been the case then I would have paid the extra to up grade as the cabin was allocated before final payment was due so that was still a possibility.

The engineer confirmed the pump noise from the pool is an ongoing problem not just the normal pool noise and they just didn't know when it would be fixed.

They gave us a new cabin of the same category. We were moved in the middle of the night on day 3 but couldn't stay in that cabin then moved again day 5 temporarily and finally same category moved on day 6.

The impact is not just lack of sleep this meant late mornings up and so time in port and missed shows either at reception or waiting for engineers. It's very stressful not knowing if we would get moved and we just wanted to go hom

As you know we've been on many cruisers and are not complainers like some.

The offer was OBC or future cruise and would not cover a meal for two in a speciality restaurant.

Does anyone read the whole thread before posting....everyone keeps harping on the fact that it was a guaranteed stateroom. OP stated they were below the pool deck, not directly below the pool. Yes, OP got moved, but the first 2 times were temporary. First thing I do, after getting on luggage, is unpack. I would hate to have to pack and unpack for 3 separate moves. They came looking for advice as to what would be acceptable compensation because they've never had issues before.

To the OP - We've never had issues like this before, so I can't offer any advice. Just hope things get settled to your satisfaction and you enjoy the rest of your trip!

disagree. it all boils down to they requested a GUARANTEE CABIN. that by and of itself means you takes what you gets and oh well if you are not thrilled. they did not have to be moved but they were. they got lucky in that a free cabin ended up being available that could accommodate them, even if they did have to move more than once. I am betting they didn't even have to do the actual moving themselves, either, as typically the cabin stewards are tasked with that extra duty in cases like this.

The Guarantee Cabin still comes with a reasonable expectation of being able to sleep and not being disrupted BY FAULTY MACHINERY! This is not nightclub or housekeeping cart noise!!

They booked through a TA. The TA sold them a guarantee cabin and should have explained that they were only guaranteed the minimum available inside stateroom with a location to be determined at a later date and may include being next to or under noisy areas. A good TA would have asked questions about their clients that may have led to selecting a specific cabin or area and avoided the uncertainty that comes with a guarantee cabin. They did not book directly with the cruise line, their cabin location should not be the fault of Royal.

I find it hard to believe if anyone doesn't know what a guarantee purchase is that they will fail to ask that question. You just turn over your money not knowing what you are buying??

The TA sold the cabin - the TA did not assign the cabin - Royal Caribbean did.

We had a similar problem years ago. There was a check valve that would clang when the plumbing pipes got loaded. We bought ear plugs and never thought about it any more. We don't leave home without them now.

It would take a major catastrophe to ruin one of my cruises. I can have fun at a funeral.;)

Update and my last post about this.

Thanks for your help and formula. We are now home and have internet again.

We went back and made a counter offer as you suggested which was accepted immediately so we could draw a line under the matter.

Apart from the cabin issues we had great food and good entertainment as well as better weather than expected for September and some very interesting ports of call.

I'm glad you finally got it resolved and could move on and enjoy the rest of your trip.

Yes the OP booked a guarantee cabin but the ship's crew admitted that the pool filter was faulty and this was an ongoing noise issue that they had not been able to resolve. This was not a typical to be expected amount of noise. They should have really moved the OP before boarding if that was the case.

I was asking if anyone has experience of claiming compensation and how would we work out a fair amount.

If we accept the OBC and sign their documents on the ship to accept their offer and waive any further rights to complain once home or do we turn down the OBC and complain via our travel agent at home.

I think you should take their offer (which wasn't necessary), be thankful you were moved for the last 8 days, and remember this experience the next time you consider booking a guarantee. For the most part, there's a reason certain cabins aren't selected and are therefore available for the guarantee pool. This is definitely a case where you could have selected a specific cabin for a higher fare and been able to choose a location that would have met your needs.

On what charge? Do you even know what that involves? OP doesn't even know what compensation she thinks is right. One cannot sue for an unspecified amount in small claims court.

They were being sarcastic. Helpful hint: read your cruise contract

Can anyone give me some advice about Royal complaints success

We had a cabin under the pool but unfortunate every night between 8 and 1.30am they empty and refill the pools above so extreme sounds of pump and gushing water. After numerous calls and visits to guest services and engineers calling to see the cabin they said it wasn't a quick fix and didn't know how long it would take to solve the noise finally on day 5 of 13 they found us another cabin.

They have offered a small amount of OBC, or discount on. Future cruise do we accept this or refuse and take it up with our travel agent when we get home? A

We are all so upset and it has totally ruined our holiday.

I think RCI was very generous in moving you. You paid for a certain category guarantee cabin, you got that category. Someone has to end up with the lousy cabin. If you don't want to take the risk it will be you, then book the cabin you want. You are also hindered by the UK rules in that you cannot get a guarantee changed once you are assigned. And to be offered compensation on top of the move? Take it, say thank you, and don't risk getting a bad room assignment by paying for the room you want. I am not sure how getting a room change on day 5 of 13 could totally ruin your holiday!

Chalk it up to a lesson learned. This is why when we book our room we always make sure there are rooms on top and rooms under us - we don't want to hear chairs scraping across the deck, which happened to us once.

Edited by nbsjcruiser

It would be helpful to others for future reference to know what was the final offer.

She may not be able to disclose that but she did say she used the formula suggested in my post of 25$/day and 50$/day based on the level of issue each day.

Again - Guarantee Cabins next to house keeping or under the wind jammer or disco should be totally expected - I'm not suggesting that someone be requesting credit for those rooms. But this was admitted to be significantly more than that by the staff!

OP - glad you were able to get a resolution that I assume you were happy with.

Lesson learned: pay more attention to what you are buying and if you screw up, don't blame the company.....you have only yourselves to blame. But...you got what you wanted...SOMEONE TO PAY YOU FOR YOUR MISTAKE. WOW!

Wow - why the harsh words? Why is it the OPs 'mistake' that the pumps were broken? The OP was perfectly happy with the location of the Guarantee cabin.

I think they did over and above what they should have done. It is very important if you are sensitive to areas on the ship to pick your cabin and do not take a guarantee cabin. You should have known you were in a location that was not for you if you are noise sensitive. I do not like the aft section of the ship due to the vibrations, so I do not book there. You gotta look at what is above and below you before booking into your cabin.

Wow - why the harsh words? Why is it the OPs 'mistake' that the pumps were broken? The OP was perfectly happy with the location of the Guarantee cabin.

The pumps were not broken, if so the pool would not empty/refill. I guess some have never heard the pump on a dishwasher or the hum of a hot tub pump:rolleyes:

So, to repeat our question...What is it that you want? :confused:

People on these boards are harsh and would do and ask for something as well, but they would be sneaky and not ask on the boards.

You need to do what makes you happy, you paid for your cruise and if your not happy get what you think if right forget these people. I hate when people say it's the cheap way to book a guaranteed. I always pick my cabin.

I have sailed on line once and never again.

I would take this post down, people are going to be rude!!