My power strip was taken at check in :-(

Propro

Does anyone know if there is an outlet by the bed on the Jewel. I need a heating pad for my back and I usually bring an extension cord so it will reach the bed. Have never had problems before with it.

A plain extension cord is fine. My personal recommendation, from a fire safety standpoint would be to bring a heavy-duty one (the kind with the round cord), not the flat "lamp cord" type, but that's just me.

Belkin Mini plug is where its at no cord never had a problem plus its got USB outlets on it for all your extra electronics you can charge .

This Belkin plug is the one I've taken on many cruises with no problem. I do put it in my carry on as well.

The Samsung Note 7 is the cell phone you CAN'T take on the ship or on an airplane anymore. I think they've all been recalled anyway.

The Belkin power strips with multiple outlets and USB ports will be taken or cause your checked bag to be held for you to go and pick up. Happened to my DH on Monday. I didn't know he had packed it.

This Belkin plug is the one I've taken on many cruises with no problem. I do put it in my carry on as well.

The Samsung Note 7 is the cell phone you CAN'T take on the ship or on an airplane anymore. I think they've all been recalled anyway.

But, the above poster has had his confiscated. As I've said on many threads, the Belkin mini is a surge protected device, so it should not be used onboard ships, and prior acceptable use on ships does not mean there will never be a problem. The problem with surge protectors is when there is a problem somewhere else on the ship that causes a ground fault, which then subjects the surge protector to reverse voltage and failure. So, even if you do everything right (other than using a surge protector), and your surge protector is working fine, right up until the moment it goes into thermal runaway and catches fire, you will have no notice.

But, the above poster has had his confiscated. As I've said on many threads, the Belkin mini is a surge protected device, so it should not be used onboard ships, and prior acceptable use on ships does not mean there will never be a problem. The problem with surge protectors is when there is a problem somewhere else on the ship that causes a ground fault, which then subjects the surge protector to reverse voltage and failure. So, even if you do everything right (other than using a surge protector), and your surge protector is working fine, right up until the moment it goes into thermal runaway and catches fire, you will have no notice.

I wanted to report back to this thread, because although many posters mentioned they got them through, that is unlikely to occur now. We saw dozens of them on the seized items table, along with long power strips, extension cords, knives and handcuffs.

I wanted to report back to this thread, because although many posters mentioned they got them through, that is unlikely to occur now. We saw dozens of them on the seized items table, along with long power strips, extension cords, knives and handcuffs.

Handcuffs...hmm...;o)

More people have iphones than any other phone....now....is that better? Is that phrased to your satisfaction? I hope you are able to move on with your life. :rolleyes:

More people use the droid OS, but there are more iphones in use than any handset, this is because droid is used on many different handsets, samsung, nokia, moto, etc

Thanks as always for your input. I got this one from Amazon and used it successfully last cruise. If need be I could plug my Belkin that it replaced into its AC outlet and since this device is not grounded it would isolate the ground return on the Belkin.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YLRWYVQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks as always for your input. I got this one from Amazon and used it successfully last cruise. If need be I could plug my Belkin that it replaced into its AC outlet and since this device is not grounded it would isolate the ground return on the Belkin.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YLRWYVQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not sure why you'd want to do that. Never a good idea to plug a three prong appliance into a two prong receptacle (which is what this is, basically a three prong outlet that is wired for two prong). If you need more power outlets, I would plug this into the 220v outlet with an adapter, and then use a simple 3 way plug expander (three prong) for your 110v needs.

Can I bring a multi-port USB charger? It's just like a regular phone charger but has a box at the end that accommodates 5 USB-to-microUSB cords.

Typically, if it does not have power outlets (110v) combined with the USB ports, and it has only a two prong plug, then it is fine.

My personal pet peeve:

That one room steward that UNPLUGS everything when he zooms through the cabin. I have couple different cameras that I charge, in addition to other stuff... so when I plug the battery in its little Nikon charger station, it's because I NEED IT CHARGED.

Come back to the cabin couple hours later, and it's lying on the desk, sadly unplugged, gasping for juice. It's like he was waiting around the corner for me to leave the cabin so he could run in and pull the plugs... lol....

turned into an almost game with this guy....

If you need more power outlets, I would plug this into the 220v outlet with an adapter, and then use a simple 3 way plug expander (three prong) for your 110v needs.

I have always understood that you could not use 110 appliances in a 220 outlet (even with an adapter) unless they (appliances) were rated for 220. Things like iPhone chargers are dual rated but many small appliances (hair dryers, for example) are not. I was always told that I could not use my US rated hair dryer in Europe - that it would "burn up". I tried once and I could smell that it was getting hot so I quickly unplugged it.

Is is not the same situation on a ship with 220 power ?

I have always understood that you could not use 110 appliances in a 220 outlet (even with an adapter) unless they (appliances) were rated for 220. Things like iPhone chargers are dual rated but many small appliances (hair dryers, for example) are not. I was always told that I could not use my US rated hair dryer in Europe - that it would "burn up". I tried once and I could smell that it was getting hot so I quickly unplugged it.

What I am saying is that I would not recommend plugging a power appliance, or any appliance with a 3 prong plug into the power outlet on this power strip, since it is not grounded, even though it has a grounded outlet. So, this should be used for the USB ports only, which are fine on 220v, but the power outlet should not be used. I suggested using an outlet expander on the 110v outlet, for all the power appliances, whether 110v only or dual voltage.

That is a horrible idea.

Yes, don't plug anything into the 220 that is not rated for it. Most electronics like Smartphones and laptops are dual voltage. Some appliances like Hair Dryers are not or have a slide switch for each voltage. My old electric toothbrush charger was only 110 but my current one is 110/220.

Sorry this happened. ...just curious though. I can think of at least 4 outlets in the cabin. How many things do you need plugged in at any one given time? :confused:
I've always thought the same thing. I just don't see why anyone would need more than are provided.

Keep in mind, too, that the ship's electricity comes from a very large generator, and it isn't essentially unlimited like it is on land. When you increase the usage in your cabin, you're messing with the ship's function.

Edited by MrsPete

It's the new Samsung 7 Note. It catches on fire spontaneously. There's a worldwide recall on it and they have stopped selling it.
Yes, I just traded in my old Samsung Note 3, and I'd hoped to get another Note ... but they have pulled the 7s and are sold out of all the other Notes.

Mrs Pete- overnight we charge 2 phones, an iPad, a kindle, a ds lite, sometimes a camera, an Apple Watch, 2 fitbits, and use a cpap with an oversize plug in. There are never enough outlets in the room for us :(

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

A Fitbit does not need to be charged daily. Mine lasts three weeks on one charge. :eek:

Mrs Pete- overnight we charge 2 phones, an iPad, a kindle, a ds lite, sometimes a camera, an Apple Watch, 2 fitbits, and use a cpap with an oversize plug in. There are never enough outlets in the room for us :(

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Get one of these for your USB devices. It is an Anker multiport and will charge smartphones, iPads, Apple Watch and other USB devices. It is not a surge protector. Mine in the picture has six ports.

dd887b9287bc08afbf32888af1516aef.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515