Majesty of the Seas AWFUL

Why on earth did you pick the Majesty, of all the ships you could choose from??? If you're used to sailing Disney, I would think you'd go for a bigger/newer ship to try Royal, not one of the oldest and smallest ships in the fleet. I wouldn't even sail that ship for free, although I know some people like it; with expectations like yours I'm surprised you paid actual money for that trip and then actually expected to like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry you had such a bad experience. We were on the cruise prior to yours (4 night) and had a very different time. Our room was super clean, the public spaces were very clean with many updates for a very old ship. There is no comparison with Disney. Your cruise on MJ probably cost $800 for 2 for 3 nights. To compare to Disney you need a much longer cruise on a freedom class or oasis class. Have a feeling that you might be very hard to please!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well then, I guess we know who dirtied up the place. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have cruised on 6 different cruise lines and have been on the Majesty 13 times. She is one of my favorite ships, I also would sail on her any day. You can't beat the crew on her. When I go on a cruise I look to have fun, not to make lists of what is wrong. Sorry for your dislike of a good friend of mine.

This thread is early morning entertainment.

My first cruise circa---when dinosaurs roamed the earth was on Cunard and I was too tipsy to remember.

Then the first family cruise on Disney Magic.....WOW factor.

Now 7 RCI cruises later, and no regrets.

Cannot afford To cruise if we only did Disney.

RCI Mariner, Freedom, Allure and Oasis have a great thing going.

Never looked into Majesty, not interested.

You maybe should have researched further before you cruised, not all ships are the same for appearance and or perks.

Look outside the box, when you book next time.

Enjoy cruising we do.

I hope Loubetti doesn't hear about this. ;)

LOL! No big deal for me, Laura. I learned long ago that some people are not cut out for real TA crossings and the weather that often goes with them. :cool:

They are not for fair weather cruisers.

8423704_orig.jpg

Majesty is good for a weekend getaway if you don't set your expectations too high. Lots of good, but also plenty of not so impressive points. The ship is pushing 25 years old and dry-dock refurbs or not, the age shows through in many areas and amenities just don't measure up to newer ships. Whenever people ask about that ship on here I always give my advice with big caution flags as to what to anticipate.

That said, why so many apologists here? These are the same people who give rosy stories of the ship, but then say "well, how much did you pay?" Can't have it both ways people. Choose one.

I still think it is better than Carnival's Fantasy-class; ships which I avoid at any cost because they are simply too old and tired for my tastes, no matter the dry-dock lipstick applications.

I have cruised on 6 different cruise lines and have been on the Majesty 13 times. She is one of my favorite ships, I also would sail on her any day. You can't beat the crew on her. When I go on a cruise I look to have fun, not to make lists of what is wrong. Sorry for your dislike of a good friend of mine.

GO CUBS!!!! :D

This reminds me of when I had my 1958 Volkswagen, if I would have judged VW based on that car I would have never of driven a VW again!! Of course that is when I was young and had no money..... Did someone say you get what you pay for? :rolleyes:

LOL! No big deal for me, Laura. I learned long ago that some people are not cut out for real TA crossings and the weather that often goes with them. :cool:

They are not for fair weather cruisers.

8423704_orig.jpg

Just having fun. Nice pic

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

We went on a 3 cruise on the MoS with a group on 23 Sep 2106.

When I say it was awful I am not exaggerating. We have cruised with Princess 5 times and Disney 13 times. This was our first RCI experience. We were lead to believe that this ship had been refurbished earlier this year. I don't know what RCI considers a refurb, but there was no hint of any new work.

Where do I start?

Cabin was decent but worn. We were in 1044 and I have been in cleaner hotel rooms. Bathtub had a very high step over to enter.

Carpeting in the halls had water staining. Carpet by doors to the outside were filthy. Filthy! Years of dirt.

Outside decks had gum on the surface that had never been removed. There were dirty dishes everywhere. It was disgusting.

Every window on the ship was dirty.

I never saw anyone with a vacuum cleaning the common areas.

The topper. The last day there was poop on the top deck by the bar. Yes poop. The crew stood there are looked at it for minutes.

This is s short list of issues. The food was terrible. I have written RCI and completed their survey with no reply.

I guess they don't care that this ship is awful and that we will never go back.

It is Disney only for us from now on.

It is never easy to compare ships especially when they are dramatically different. There is no excuse for a ship not being clean. I have been on Her Majesty 12 times all resulting in a wonderful cruise. No, she doesn't have the bells and whistles and entertaining attractions that a Disney ship or even her own 'big sisters' Allure, Oasis and Harmony have but a relaxing good time can be had on her. I have never had on any ship such terrible food that I could not find something I enjoyed to eat -- so that could just be YOU. Have I ordered something that I did not like, sure and then got something else. Life is good.

The tubs in ALL of the JS's are high sided tubs. When we booked our first JS, we knew about it, and it was annoying but not a big problem. Sorry it was so so terrible for you personally -- it is the design of the tub.

The poop on the deck -- something to blame another cruiser for, perhaps one that came on board with a dog, that simply could not refrain from relieving itself and the staff just did not know what to do at the 'moment' you walked by. I am sure housekeeping or maintenance was called to remedy. Just picking up the mess isn't enough -- it needs to be disposed of properly -- would you have wanted the bar staff to put the poop behind the bar or in a nearby trash can.

I have sat in the MDR and noticed a window that needed painting or maintenance on the window sill....it in no way caused me to have a bad cruise, but I did let the hotel manager know. As a ship sails every day week in and week out even the week after it is out on the seas after a dry dock it still needs maintenance. A 3 week dry dock doesn't give the crew the time to work on everything -- it always is a work in progress.

Enjoy the other lines you have mentioned.

I would sail on Her Majesty for the 13th time, if she were nearby....but they moved her to Port Canaveral.

There is no mystery that Majesty is the second oldest ship in the fleet and is not a typical Royal ship. People should really research what they're getting into. I've been on her 14 times and would go back any day. One of the best crews in the fleet. I don't doubt your feelings, she's just not for you.

I felt just like you did when I did a "crossing" on Queen Elizabeth 2 and prayed every day for a rescue helicopter. But went back to Cunard for Queen Mary 2 in her inaugural year and was totally impressed.

You might feel the same about one of Royal's newer ships.

Hey Matt .. i'd love to hear more about your experience on the QE2 .. don't hear much about that one ... she was kinda of before the Cruise Critic era ...

What was the bad experience?

Hey Matt .. i'd love to hear more about your experience on the QE2 .. don't hear much about that one ... she was kinda of before the Cruise Critic era ...

What was the bad experience?

Somewhere in the bowels of cruise critic are my 2003 comments about the QE2. My handle was MattInLA then. I did not make any friends on the Cunard board when I dared say anything bad about their treasured Queen. And they didn't like me any better when I liked Queen Mary 2, because they felt Cunard was going to the dogs to launch that behemoth.

I was traveling with a friend. I was in steerage and he was in Grill class. We each hated it. It was one of those trips where everything just went wrong.

And it had nothing to do with the weather. I like it when ships rock.

I just think she was a ship of a different time and needed to be retired.

But to Cunard's credit they listened to us and our comments and gave us each a huge credit towards our QM2 booking so that we would give them another chance.

We were on the Sept cruise in 1054 and although my posts tag shows only a couple cruises, I'm poor at listing our cruises but I've been on 10 cruises from the largest Oasis to the smaller Majesty and Constellation of Celebrity and all the large size ships FOS of RCI and Reflection of Celebrity etc -all of RCI and Celebrity and I know before I sail what to expect. This being an inexpensive cruise I was surprised of the excellent service by our room attendant, very clean room, ice twice a day etc. Also the service in the MDR was some of the best ever.

As far as cleaning I saw it being done all the time-late in the evening. Yes it is old and areas are ruff, but all in all a bargain for the price.

We were on the Majesty the weekend after you and it was a HUGE party cruise (not why we sailed her). Was the ship older, yes, was the cruise any less enjoyable because of that, NO. Could I have found issues with the ship yes, did they they ruin our cruise NO.

To the OP- You may have sailed many times and in top of the line cabins, but I think you do cruise critic readers a disservice to sign up to make one post, to SLAM a ship like that. You have every right to have your opinion and share it, but it would have more value to me and others if you've actually posted other reviews so people can understand your tastes and preferences.

If you choose to stay with Disney, do enjoy it. I on the other hand will continue with Royal as even when they had areas that could be improved on, they continually have provided us a wonderful experience with great ships and excellent crews. And given the opportunity, we hope to sail Majesty again.

Erika

Sorry about your experience. You just found cruise critic after all of the sailings you have been on? I haven't experienced Disney cruises yet. Its just not affordable when bringing on family with us at the moment. I have been on the Majesty once on a four nighter...it was cheap, last minute and family were going. We just prefer the larger ships and better ports.

I'm not sure about Princess, but the Disney section of this forum is DEADER THAN DEAD most of the time. Most Disney cruisers are on another forum.

We were on the sailing after yours, totally opposite experience. Ship was clean and yes she is showing her age, but we have sailed Sovereign class before and knew what to expect. It was a "filler" cruise for us between Freedom and Oasis.

We were on this cruise as well (9/26) and I would agree, totally opposite experience.

Sure, the ship shows her age a bit but you could see it had been updated recently. I can only speak for our room but it had definitely been updated with new carpet, furnishings, etc. since the last time we were on her in 2011. As someone else said, maintaining a cruise ship is a constant thing - there were guys painting the outside of the ship near the anchor when we were in port. If the public areas were dirty, I sure didn't see it. For a 4 nighter at a great price, it was perfect. Definitely have to have appropriate expectations - she's no Oasis/Allure or even Freedom or Navigator as far as amenities, etc. but we didn't have any major issues at all.

When booking my cruises we check it all at on Cruise Critics. We have cruised on most of RCCL class ships and finally booked MOS for November and January 2017. Needed short weekend cruises - and less expensive as we are doing 4 other cruises from Nov. thru January. Try another ship!

This post, to me, is like this:

I go to Disneyworld & Bush Gardens for theme parks. Well, let me tell you, I just came back from the Iowa State Fair and WHAT A RIPOFF!!!! It's not even close to Disney!! What sham this place is! They had rides that foldup and go back on trucks!! can you believe that!!! Never again Iowa State Fair with a ticket price of 10 bucks to get in. Disney all the way for $100.

Seriously, this guy is on another planet or something.

Edited by Moltar

No comparison to DCL? Ha ha that's a funny statement. What did your Majesty 3 night set you back? 400 bucks? Before you judge an entire Line you should try a Royal trip that has a comparable price point

OP stated that they were in 1044, which is a JS, and those are (and have been for quite a while) priced about $100-200 more than a D7 balcony in Disney Dream sailing in the same week. We just booked a D7 on Dream in October 2017 for less than a JS (even with our D+ discount) on Majesty sailing the same three nights.

AdoraBelle.. At least you are AT YOUR HOUSE.. Many of us aren't allowed to return to ours yet. Many of the houses on our beach have significant damage or totally destroyed. Not getting ANY pity from me..

Sorry to hear that you are in the area affected by Hurricane Matthew. My part of the country, Louisiana, just went through tremendous loss to flooding so I know what you are going through.

Here's hoping that you will be back in your home soon and that the damage is minimum.