Recent Princess Staffing

yuccaman

1. That is one of the reasons for the "daily service charge" . Those assisting get a portion.

2. You can always tip extra to those you see giving great service. Some may earn it and some may not. You do not have to add to all.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Do room stewards still have assistants? Do MDR waiters still have assistant waiters? Trying to figure out who we're going to have to tip a few bucks extra, if given great service.

Yes,waiters/waitresses still have assistants.

Yes, room stewards still have assistants,but I have never seen the asst.

Do room stewards still have assistants? Do MDR waiters still have assistant waiters? Trying to figure out who we're going to have to tip a few bucks extra, if given great service.

In the dining rooms there are assistant waiters & it's been my experience that they're primarily responsible for getting our food from the galley.

I haven't seen any room steward assistants except on turnaround day.

Edited by Astro Flyer

1. That is one of the reasons for the "daily service charge" . Those assisting get a portion.

2. You can always tip extra to those you see giving great service. Some may earn it and some may not. You do not have to add to all.

Thanks but this is is very well known to me. That wasn't the question. I don't want this to become one of those inexhaustible tipping threads.

My post was simple and direct. I just wanted to know who to potentially plan for.

Edited by yuccaman

In the dining rooms there are assistant waiters & it's been my experience that they're primarily responsible for getting our food from the galley.

I haven't seen any room steward assistants except on turnaround day.

Thanks, if this is the case for stewards, it could even be extra help the steward hires that day. (Yes, this subcontracting of off-duty personnel happens all the time, although there are exceptions)

Room stewards work by themselves for the daily servicing. There are still asst waiters/waitresses, but you can go an entire dinner without seeing yours. One night, we may be completely helped by the asst, the next night he/she just does drink orders, and the next just clearing the table. It seems to really vary.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do room stewards still have assistants?, If they do they are not known to the passenger. Thus, you will not be able to provide them with an extra tip. We have over 30 Princess cruises over the last 20 years and I never remember seeing an assistant cabin steward.

Do MDR waiters still have assistant waiters? Yes, every table has a waiter and assistant waiter.

Trying to figure out who we're going to have to tip a few bucks extra, if given great service.

See above.

If you can afford a cruise, you can afford to give someone who really goes out of their way to make your vacation perfect a little extra. I am sure all of the stewards or waiters or kitchen staff greatly appreciate it.

Thanks, if this is the case for stewards, it could even be extra help the steward hires that day. (Yes, this subcontracting of off-duty personnel happens all the time, although there are exceptions)

Did not realize this occurs. Interesting.

Last year I asked our steward on the Royal Princess if he had an assistant, and he said he did not.

Believe me, a steward with no assistant really deserves a little extra from us--especially since he always made a point to speak to us and have a little laugh while maintaining our room in pristine shape.

If you can afford a cruise, you can afford to give someone who really goes out of their way to make your vacation perfect a little extra. I am sure all of the stewards or waiters or kitchen staff greatly appreciate it.

Agree 100% the $ is not that big of a deal to us. I like to leave the impression that Americans are kind and generous people.

I agree. This personal hiring is the discretion of the steward and usually done during turnaround days. The passenger will thus be unable to see, much more give a tip, to the assistant hired by the steward.

I agree. This personal hiring is the discretion of the steward and usually done during turnaround days. The passenger will thus be unable to see, much more give a tip, to the assistant hired by the steward.

Yes, I was not implying that we needed to tip that guy, but implying that that's even more reason for a great steward to need a little bit extra $ at the end!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by yuccaman

In the last couple of years I have notice Princess has cut down on all the assistants. I asked my steward and he said they did. I could see it in the dining room the waiters are killing them selves just to keep up. I don't tell anyone how much to give. I just say do what you think is right.

Tony

In the last couple of years I have notice Princess has cut down on all the assistants. I asked my steward and he said they did. I could see it in the dining room the waiters are killing them selves just to keep up. I don't tell anyone how much to give. I just say do what you think is right.

Tony

Agree. Noticed the reduced wait staff in the MDR on the first night of our 15 day cruise on the Crown. Even told Princess on the review that the decrease staff was noticed and felt at dinner when we had to wait over 20 minutes just for water. The first impression of the MDR that night left me wondering what the heck was going on? Was part of the crew sick? :confused:

Agree. Noticed the reduced wait staff in the MDR on the first night of our 15 day cruise on the Crown. Even told Princess on the review that the decrease staff was noticed and felt at dinner when we had to wait over 20 minutes just for water. The first impression of the MDR that night left me wondering what the heck was going on? Was part of the crew sick? :confused:

On the Crown in Sept. Left the same critique to Princess. MDR service very slow. Agonizing at times. Staff short and over tasked.