Hand sanitizer not required anymore?

Improper hygiene can happen anywhere along the way, even in the dining room and specialty restaurants. Do you know how many people have touched your cutlery before you? The glass your drink came in? What about the salt and pepper shakers? And pulling out your chair? I think if we really knew, we'd never eat outside our own kitchen again, and even then it would be speculative.

And don't forget the menus. They might be the worst along with the salt & pepper shakers.

Whether you use hand sanitizer or not, the best thing you can do is not touch your eyes, nose, or mouth without first washing your hands or sanitizing them. As many have already stated, the germs in question could be introduced after you last sanitized. Don't forget handrails, elevator buttons, etc. Germs exist everywhere, especially where you least think about.

We just got off the Liberty of the Seas. We have been on several cruises and were pleased that they had someone at the door of dining areas reminding EVERY person to use hand sanitizer. On the Liberty they had a 'greeter' but he/she did not mention or have sanitizer. It was available, but only about half the people even noticed or used it.

This is especially worrisome on the Windjammer where every person touches the buffet utensils. I personally noticed one lady cough a raspy cough into her hand, then move to the buffet line, yuk.

Is this new to all ships?

Funny, we live in DFW and our names are Jean and Phil!!!

We just got off the Liberty of the Seas. We have been on several cruises and were pleased that they had someone at the door of dining areas reminding EVERY person to use hand sanitizer. On the Liberty they had a 'greeter' but he/she did not mention or have sanitizer. It was available, but only about half the people even noticed or used it.

This is especially worrisome on the Windjammer where every person touches the buffet utensils. I personally noticed one lady cough a raspy cough into her hand, then move to the buffet line, yuk.

Does using sanitizer somehow then keep that person from coughing and recontaminating her hand? People shouldn't be using their hands to cover a cough or sneeze in the first place.

I have also considered bringing disposable plastic gloves to handle the utensils in windjammer. I wish they offered them at the entrance but they cost money and I can't see them going that way.

I personally have contracted the gestural intestinal bug twice. Not a fun way to spend two days of a vacation.

Maybe you just should refrain from touching your food or your face.

Our last cruise we were chatting with a couple whose daughter was a researcher at the CDC. She had told her parents that the hand sanitizer was very ineffective.

Yes it's ineffective. Hand washing is far better.

The one way to stop noro is for each of us to not put out fingers to our mouths after touching surfaces.

My son and I had it. At home. Why? Because WE were gross and put out fingers to our mouths without washing our hands. There is no one else to blame when a person gets it; the fault lies solely in the person who has gotten it, because they touched something and then ended up with their fingers at their own mouth.

Sanitizer is made of powerful chemicals that shouldn't be ingested. So you shouldn't have your fingers at your mouth anyway after using it. But if you're going to be that careful anyway, there's no need to use the chemicals in the first place.

Wash your hands well, touch what you need to touch, and eat without putting hands to your mouth. In other words, use fork and knife , not hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In your specific example, neither you nor the lady would have been helped by the use of hand sanitizer at the door when you walked in.

6e50eaafe62783e0ee9ae24970913345.jpg

That picture just reminded me of an occasion in the Solarium Cafe on neither Oasis or Allure. This kid who looked to be maybe 6-7 years old picked up a piece of dessert and sniffed it (I assume to determine if it smelled like something he would like to eat) and then promptly put it back down where he picked it up from.:rolleyes:

That picture just reminded me of an occasion in the Solarium Cafe on neither Oasis or Allure. This kid who looked to be maybe 6-7 years old picked up a piece of dessert and sniffed it (I assume to determine if it smelled like something he would like to eat) and then promptly put it back down where he picked it up from.:rolleyes:

This happened on The Adventure last month someone picked up a Hard Roll smelled it and put it back, only he was 60-70 years old. He didn't like my comment " Dude Seriously" I guess I said it too loud.:D A crew member came and removed them.

This happened on The Adventure last month someone picked up a Hard Roll smelled it and put it back, only he was 60-70 years old. He didn't like my comment " Dude Seriously" I guess I said it too loud.:D A crew member came and removed them.

You're comment was way too nice. There is no age limit for stupidity!

Sanitizer kills good bacteria and isn't effective against all germs. It is overused and is not as good as washing your hands. It gives a false sense of clean.

I wash my hands every chance I get. And use hand sanitizer. I may be a little bit crazy but I don't want to get sick! [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Doesn't everyone know now you sneeze or cough into your arm by your elbow. I have someone at work who sneezes into her hands and it grosses me out.

Amen to that! And if I may add...people who insist on shaking hands. Can we just agree to wave, bow, or do something else? Especially with cold & flu season upon us...:eek:

As I mentioned before, I am super paranoid after getting norovirus on a cruise- so, before eating, I was h my hands, then use the provided sanitizer, and careful of what I touch (no touching chairs with my bare hands! Always use napkin when dishing up things from WJ!) then sanitize again right before I eat, and rarely touch food with my bare hands. My crazy behavior might not actually prevent any sickness, but it can't hurt :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app