You learn something new every day! Partial charter... 29 Dec NCL Pearl

*source*

Cruisers from the UK... Only our second NCL cruise but cruised other lines too... looking for advice!

We have never even heard of partial charters, but just discovered tonight our long awaited trip of the year is a partial charter.

Can anyone let me know how I find out (if indeed this is possible) how many are in the partial charter and how greatly this will affect us.

I can see by the roll call that people have actually changed their mind about going on the cruise for one reason or another, but as we have booked flights from Scotland we can't change this.

Are there experiences people can share, or am I worrying unnecessarily? :confused:

There were many angry posts about this group on last year's Gem sailing, saying how rude they were to other passengers and how their kids ran around without supervision. I had considered this cruise but changed my mind and switched to the one next March. That being said, many on the roll call aren't worried and will have a great time anyway so go to the roll call and add yourself to the meet and greet.

There were many angry posts about this group on last year's Gem sailing, saying how rude they were to other passengers and how their kids ran around without supervision. I had considered this cruise but changed my mind and switched to the one next March. That being said, many on the roll call aren't worried and will have a great time anyway so go to the roll call and add yourself to the meet and greet.

We cancelled after reading the reports from previous cruises like this.

Such a shame.

Friends we were going with also switched to a different cruise.

It was not 100% clear that it is the exact same group.

If it is a similar group, but not quite the same (this IS a possiblity, we think), then it is a double shame.

I cannot say anything about that particular group but I have been on a partial chartered cruise in the past.

Venues at certain times will be closed for private function -the charters. At best it may not be noticed but also may be annoying.

Is it possible to switch to another ship within the same time period or is it too late?

If not go with an open mind and just enjoy it for what it is and try to ignore the rudeness. Chartered or not there is always a few rude disrespectful people but they just love themselves and deserve to be ignored.

Good luck!

Any partial charter is potentially disruptive, because some venues are reserved for them. But this particular group is a special case, because they are typically accompanied by a much larger group of passengers that are not part of the charter, but simply book the same cruise independently. These passengers do not have access to the venues reserved for the charter, but they have the same requirements (Kosher meals, space for religious services, etc.) So while the Kosherica group itself may be relatively small, I'm afraid the impact of this charter is multiplied and it may affect your cruise quite significantly.

We are on that sailing, and on the roll call. Yes, it may slightly impact our cruise, but we are determined not to let it bother us. We are there to have fun, not concern myself with other people's behavior. If the children misbehave, I'm just grateful I'm not their parent, and that I did better raising my daughters. We are from NY, and can tolerate, and turn a blind eye to alot.

Safe sailing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

I too have been on Pearl when there was a religious group with dietary requirements - on our cruise that meant that the midship MDR was essentially reserved for the group because of their strict dietary restrictions.

Also kids running amok etc. Would not do that again, luckily it was only one half of our B2B cruise.

We were booked on this cruise but decided to cancel and book another cruise because of past experiences with charters. Your experience may be very different. My suggestion would be to head over to the roll call and hook up with the folks posting on there. Maybe get involved in some of their planned activities. This really is a great ship and itinerery. Be sure to post a review when you return.

Good luck. Been there, done that. Never again.

Nightmare... I am going to call NCL and ask exactly what is going on I think. We have never heard of this group but have 2 cabins booked and with the flights from the UK the cost for us as a family is significant and the Panama Canal has been on our list for a while... :cool:

Nightmare... I am going to call NCL and ask exactly what is going on I think. We have never heard of this group but have 2 cabins booked and with the flights from the UK the cost for us as a family is significant and the Panama Canal has been on our list for a while... :cool:

There was quite a bit of discussion of this group causing problems for folks on the Gem. I seem to recall reports of kids swearing at other adults, kids spitting at them, etc.

At this point you are locked into this cruise, so the only thing to do is hope for the best. Kosherica charters several cruises every year on NCL ships and we don't usually hear negative reports. I think it's only when they happen to coincide with school holidays that people encounter issues with large numbers of families that are not actually part of the charter group (as I described earlier).

I don't know when kids need to be back in school after New Year's, but here's hoping that most families with kids are not able to take this 11-day PC cruise…

I've encountered closed lounges due to private functions. Not fun when you really want to be there.

Just found out I have a Friends of Dorothy partial charter on my cruise. At least there shouldn't be too many kids running around :D;):rolleyes:

Hi to the OP,

Come join us on the Roll Call:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2244653&page=7

We have discussed a bit about the group. I think we are all just going to make sure we have fun and not going to let others disrupt our cruise.

Join us, sign up for the M&G. We will get to meet the some officers and I'm sure if there are any problems, they will help us out.

The Pearl is a fabulous ship. The crew are amazing and so are all of us participating in the roll call.

Come have fun!

Thanks to all who have replied. My TA has spoken to NCL and they have confirmed that one of the main dining rooms will be used by this party. They have also confirmed 2 of the venues (I don't know which ones) will be closed for them also. This suggests to me a large number of people, plus significant disruption - if there will be enough people to close one of the dining rooms.

I suppose forewarned is forearmed and there is nothing we can do for now. I guess it is a lesson learned and something we now know to look out for!

Thanks to all who have replied. My TA has spoken to NCL and they have confirmed that one of the main dining rooms will be used by this party. They have also confirmed 2 of the venues (I don't know which ones) will be closed for them also. This suggests to me a large number of people, plus significant disruption - if there will be enough people to close one of the dining rooms.

I suppose forewarned is forearmed and there is nothing we can do for now. I guess it is a lesson learned and something we now know to look out for!

Hopefully you will not have any issues on your cruise, but if you do make sure you set up a meeting with the Hotel Director immediately to discuss them and it would be wise to let him/her know that you will be talking with your local media to let them know the goings on and to let others know what to expect if you cruise with this group. Something happened on another cruise line to make that cruise line ban them.

Hope you enjoy your cruise.

I have to admit that I'm getting a little worried about all this. I will definitely be attending the M&G. I always do. I don't like the idea that I paid for something and I may not get what I paid for. Now I know a lot of us here on CC say that about a lot of things NCL. We book under certain terms and things change. But not being able to use various venues is a bit troublesome.

I will wait and see what happens. I've cruised the Pearl many times. It's a fabulous ship. I will have fun no matter what. But I will be vocal if there are negative impacts.