Luggage Recommendations Please

budisal

@Tioga

Carry-on is a size, and that's why you see the reference to 'international' carry-on vs US/domestic carry-on -- and even that isn't necessarily accurate as even domestic US airlines are varying in their requirements.

Some luggage companies cheat and sell carry-ons that meet the common (domestic) size of 45"=length+depth+height, but they don't count the wheels and handles! So if you get to a gate and they actually are using the 'cage' -- your bag will not fit! This was recently profiled in Consumer Reports, I believe.

Carry-on (and I suppose, checked bag) requirement that is being more and more enforced is WEIGHT. For that reason, we have joined the 2-wheel IT soft-side team -- 3.5 pounds empty! (about 1.6kg)

We had only shortly before (year and a half, maybe) treated ourselves to new Ricardo brand carry-on sized hard-shell spinners. I thought they were the cat's pajamas, so stable and easy to roll! And they were lighter than our older cloth carryons, but still about twice the ITs. So that's more clothes or sundries we can take and still be in weight.

Any good brand (or even off-brand) carry-on can be checked... I'm not sure we've checked the IT's except a few times having to leave them off plane-side on small commuter planes. Spinners' wheels are fully outside the case (where two-wheelers are usually recessed partly) so they have the reputation of shearing off in the cargo hold (or likely in the hands of the handlers!), but at least in the airports they are a charm to navigate! And as long as you still have the back two wheels, they can be rolled like a 2-wheeler.

I believe if I were planning to check a carry-on sized bag I would go with the hard-case spinner... that's why we've kept them! The danger of losing a wheel is there, but the danger of having a zipper split or fabric being torn is also possible.

If cost were also not a factor, and I needed a new one, I might look into the Samsonite mentioned above as our Samsonite pullmans lasted and lasted and were also the gasket-rimmed waterproof style. But when is cost not a factor?!! I see you're in SoCal -- we got the Ricardo spinners at Cost-co right around the holidays; if you're not a member maybe you know someone who is and can keep their eyes open for you.

We bought our IT's (and then one for my mom and one for my sister!) off eBags.com

Thank you! I will check Costco next time I'm there. I've been looking at TJs, Marshalls, and Ross and some seem quite flimsy, like "carry on" was a sort of "gentle use" label. The videos of the luggage sorters ("battering ram") at the airports and pilfering has me concerned. And sealing everything inside into one large thin trash bag using very sticky packing tape, to make the contents tamper evident.

I have a precruise tour coming up and have to pack a 2 night bag. I'm thinking if I distribute the 40 lbs or so of stuff between a checked 22"-24" "carry on" on wheels and the rest in a small duffle (checked) that will do the precruise with me. it will be easier to handle by myself. The duffle can ride on the suitcase until I check them in. (The trip includes very hot and cold weather.) As I'm getting older it's harder to handle heavy weights.

It looks like they have decreased carry aboard allowances since I last flew. LAN had allowed a carry on, underseat item, and a personal item. Now it's a carry on and a personal item. That about covers my tech and camera equipment.

Edited by TiogaCruiser

You obviously have not met my wife. :o We look more like we're moving than going on vacation. :rolleyes::) Of course we don't take anything under a 10-day cruise and with pre and post cruise time we're typically gone more like 14 days minimally but wife feels that's why there are porters. :D

Your wife is just like me! I always say I'll pack this "just in case I need it". Seems that in most cases I didn't need it. Next cruise in May we'll be away 17 days. I've already started to pack!

We only travel with a carry on each now. We have travelled for many years-business and pleasure. We only use soft sides.

Our experience is that brand is not always an indication of quality. Many brands have product lines designed for specific price points. Two cases from the same brand may look the same but can be very different. We really noticed it in the so called factory outlet stores. Sometimes you can see the differences by looking at the quality of the wheels.

We check for three things. Weight, zippers, and wheels. Our preference is two wheels since we often use them on cobblestones etc. We do not pay much attention to brand. Best ones so far have been Kirkland brand (costco), Rick Steves, and an old Swiss Army that won't die. They range anywhere from 5 to 20 years old and we still use them. Next on our list will be IT's.

We researched in the Spring before buying new luggage. We went with the Eagle Creek Tarmac. Eagle Creek's warranty is hands down the best we have ever had. We also watched videos and found the design what we need. The EC Tarmac 22 is a carry on and has a pouch for a laptop.

We have the EC 28 for checked.

They make conventional wheels as well as spinners.

The video reviews really helped us make a decision

Thanks to all who answered. You've given me some great information. Never thought about international vs domestic carry on, but will now keep my eyes open for international since we seem to be doing more European travel lately and into the future.

Again, thank you for all the great answers... Al

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The ultimate conundrum: our solution, since we travel to Europe now and then which means SMALLER carryons (think 18") is to have a "drop bottom duffel" which is great...the bottom carries all our shoes, etc., leaving plenty of room in the top for clothes, etc. That gets checked. Then, we each have an 18" Eagle Creek rolling carryon which is fantastic! Just did 2 1/2 weeks in Ireland with just those and a small backpack each!

If needed we have a 26" Samsonite, but it has already shown it's coming apart at the seams, so don't recommend it...but it does work. Nothing larger than that or you'll be overweight and PAY!

We swear by Packing Cubes...have Eagle Creek AND ebags...huge convenience! We just pop them out of our suitcases and into the drawers or onto the shelves in the cabin...instant organization. Eight or so tops fit into the medium, small holds undies and socks, larger holds all my "fancy night" stuff.

Your wife is just like me! I always say I'll pack this "just in case I need it". Seems that in most cases I didn't need it. Next cruise in May we'll be away 17 days. I've already started to pack!

I will say we have managed to pack lighter over the years though the volume is about the same as we've gravitated to longer and more distant itineraries. Mrs K has gone away from the full gowns for formal nights to lighter but still formal mix and match attire she can wear on other nights. I finally had to retire my tux and went to a black suit that I also can wear on other nights. Our last few cruises have 14, 18, 22, and 26 days in Europe from early spring to mid summer weather. Even then we've gone through amazing weather differences. On our last Med cruise we started with record breaking heat (100F/38C in Venice) and went to chilly wet weather (52F/11C in Istanbul). We were glad to have options. We also have gotten better about looking at what we wore and didn't when we get home and at least make a mental note for the next cruise. Between advanced frequent flyer status and usually traveling business class the number of bags has not been an issue. I think we pack fairly smart but it's still a lot and nowhere close to a couple of carry ons and one checked bag.

@Tioga

Some luggage companies cheat and sell carry-ons that meet the common (domestic) size of 45"=length+depth+height, but they don't count the wheels and handles! So if you get to a gate and they actually are using the 'cage' -- your bag will not fit! This was recently profiled in Consumer Reports, I believe.

I have noticed this too. Most luggage advertised dimensions do not include wheels handles, etc.

I have a carry on that is slightly too long because of wheels. It is also expandable, if I expand it, I am really in violation.

This is a little off topic, but one of my pet peeves are people who are obviously in violation of carry on rules. The rule of 1 carry-on bag plus 1 other item is pushed to the limit. I have seen people bring on board two carry-on bags. This makes it difficult for people who are following the rules to find room for their single carry-on.

I guess this sort of thing will continue to get worse until the airlines do something about it.

We do not depend on what the label says. We do our own measure.

We have looked at many so called lightweight carry-ons. The label may say light weight but it can be meaningless. The harder it is to find the weight on the label the heavier the bag probably is!

The best idea for solving your luggage problem is to reduce the items you're taking along. As was once said: "lay out all your clothing that you think you need to take and put half of it back in the closet and go to the bank and get more cash".

There is simply no reason why an adult cannot pack for a seven day cruise in one roller carry on with room to spare. It requires self-discipline and prior planning. Contrary to the opinion of some, no women really needs to take fourteen pairs of shoes for a seven day cruise. Two or three will do nicely.

Yes, there is a reason .

I don't WANT to.

I consider what I pack, how much I pack , what I bring, and what I don't bring a personal choice that needs no validation nor explanation.

As long as I'm not breaking any shipboard policies what size luggage (and amount) is my choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I prefer soft-sided for carry-on because I like the outside pockets. We have Delsey, two-wheeled because I like their wheels. I find the additional weight added by spinners just doesn't justify them and I move faster with two- versus four-wheeled carry-ons.

For checked, I prefer hard-sided and we have E-bags because of their lifetime warranty. The spinners are nice for these but you can lose a wheel since they're not recessed. I typically only check when my DH is along as he doesn't travel as often and isn't as skilled at doing a tight military roll with his clothes.

Typically I can make due for 7-10 days with a carry-on. We bought packing cubes to help my husband more tightly pack his bags but mostly use them for the checked bags. They are also great for organization and unpacking - just pop the cube into the drawer or on the shelf and you're set! We use ebags packing cubes. Since it does allow for more tightly packed clothing, you do have to watch your luggage weight. To help avoid overweight luggage, we stick to 24 or 25" checked bags.

I realize that you said money is not an object for this purchase, but I recommend you don't buy anything that you'll worry about when it's mistreated by baggage handlers.

I also suggest avoiding the higher brand items (e.g., Tumi) since it makes you a target for thieves. They're pretty easy to spot from a distance once you know what you're looking for.

I'm a mix & match person. I've got bags from Osprey, eBags, Eagle Creek. Some are convertible between wheels & backpack straps, some are wheels only, some carry only. Which I take is totally dependent on where I am going. For all of them, I am able to handle them myself and lift them up onto a train or an overhead compartment without assistance (VERY important since i travel solo on various transportation). My biggest is my Osprey Sojourn at 25x14x14 and I can still easily lift it into the train overheads (I am usually around the 38-40lb packed weight regardless of where/when/how long the trip). I NEVER consider spinners. I have to deal with them enough when I'm moving guests' luggage around in the hotel. Not very friendly on carpet - they just don't keep up and my elbow usually ends up hurting from having to do the extra pushing of them. Not very friendly for cobblestones nor dirt or gravel pathways (I encounter these a lot on my travels). 2 wheels work perfectly for me when I want wheels.

If you are merely going car to airport to taxi to ship, I guess spinners are OK. But, for me, that's not how I roll...

Yes, there is a reason .

I don't WANT to.

I consider what I pack, how much I pack , what I bring, and what I don't bring a personal choice that needs no validation nor explanation.

As long as I'm not breaking any shipboard policies what size luggage (and amount) is my choice.

So very, very well said. Thank you for stating the obvious (to most of us, anyway).

Once I get my meds, make-up, and jewelry in my rolling carry-on, there's barely enough room for a change of undies and a nightgown.

The current trend is lightweight hard sided luggage.

However, I still prefer soft sided luggage, I think they stay looking nice for a longer period of time- they also cost less.

I totally agree :)

We bought soft sided Riccardo luggage back in 2006 and it still looks like new.

We have a 28", 2-22"s, 2-rolling tote bags, and 2 carry totes. We pretty much only use the 28" for long or cold weather cruises. Otherwise we each use a 22", then I use a wheeled tote and DH uses a carry tote which he nests on top of the rolling tote once we check the rest of the baggage.

Riccardo does make 4 wheeled spinners as well as 2 wheels.

How do the airlines react if you have a small backpack AND a carry on? Because of my bladder surgery and replacement, I need either the backpack or the carry on 100% for my medical supplies. Anyone think there would be a problem?

How do the airlines react if you have a small backpack AND a carry on? Because of my bladder surgery and replacement, I need either the backpack or the carry on 100% for my medical supplies. Anyone think there would be a problem?

I do not believe medical equipment count as a carry on.

I love the hybrids, hard on one side and soft on the other with outside pockets. I like to pack my good clothes on the one side and then zip,it up; out of the way. We tend to travel for 5 weeks at a time and need cruise and non cruise clothes. We have had very good luck with Delsey brand. Sadly the airlines ate my last Heys one that I loved and I haven't liked my top heavy soft side.

Have found Eddie Bauer last well too.

Honestly with how the airlines treat them you are lucky if they last a few years.

Have done a month in a carry on, but that was only warm weather so easy. It is tough when you need clothing for different weather.

I am happy that some cruise lines are easing their dress codes. It makes life easier for packing unless DH decides to take his kilt again to Europe!

The best way to prevent your 2-wheeler from tipping is to pack it smartly. Most of the time, we pack with the bag flat on it's back. The thing to do is to remember to NOT pack evenly, but bottom-heavy. Put the heaviest things down by the wheels and go up from there. Remember to keep putting the bag up on it's wheels to see how the balance is going. This little tip has helped me for years.

eBags has a nice little Black Friday sale going on now - check it out!

I do not believe medical equipment counts as a carry on.

Agree with Cruisin Nana, but at any rate a small back pack is acceptable as your "other item" in addition to your carry-on. Also acceptable is a small satchel or duffel. Also very popular are canvas shopping bags.

The problem occurs when people push the limit, such as a full sized duffel or one of those huge back packs like backpackers use.

I've heard it here before, but no matter what, when it comes to wheels I would get something with spinners. So much easier.

We used the same Delsey pieces for years and have recently moved to American Tourister which has served us well for the past three years so far.

We used to buy our luggage in department stores but recently started getting them at TJMaxx. If you look, they have the same luggage as the department stores at a much reduced price.

Last piece of advice...no black luggage. Everyone has black luggage and anything in any other color is so much easier to find at the airport. When we had black, we had lots of "stuff" attached to the luggage to make it stand out. Now we have burgundy colored luggage that is easily identifiable.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had Heyes luggage. $500 + for a two piece set. 2 sets. From Sears.

Nothing but trouble. Zippers broke. Wheels disintegrated. Stitching unraveled.

Bought Briggs and Riley. Guaranteed for life. No problems so far, after 2 years of twice a month international travel.