Grand injured

PonyPair

The same document states that the only reason for granting a waiver is in the interest of national defense. (Page 14). Whether that is a narrow or broad definition is up for discussion.

Does anyone here recall how the PVSA violation was handled back in 2/2013 with the Carnival Triumph returning to Mobile instead of Galveston? At the time all the hoo-haw on the boards focused on the passport rule of the WHTI, and whether pax without passports would have any trouble returning to a different port. (They didn't). I don't know if a PVSA fine was imposed or not, but am fairly sure that Carnival absorbed it if one was. I would think that a similar ruling and scenario would apply in this case.

As I've said, waivers are routinely given for mechanical failures causing ships to miss their required ports. This was the case for Carnival for the Triumph, and was the case for the Norwegian Star back in 2004, when she lost an azipod and couldn't make the run to Fanning Island from Hawaii, and so made Hawaiian island round trips with no foreign port call for several months and were granted a waiver.

Could someone explain how this post discusses the Grand being in Hawaii and the Bridge Cam currently shows it alongside Basseterre in St. Kitts?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I just checked and the Grand cam is showing in Honolulu. However, the Royal cam is showing in St Kitts.

grand_bridge.jpg?1481052936964

royal_bridge.jpg?1481052965277

Could someone explain how this post discusses the Grand being in Hawaii and the Bridge Cam currently shows it alongside Basseterre in St. Kitts?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I went here: http://www.princess.com/bridgecams/all.html just now and it sure looks like Pier 1 in Honolulu to me. Cruise terminal just visible on port side and loading crane further down the dock.

However, they seem to have no qualms about putting pax on a 'half finished' ship littered with workers and work sites on a maiden voyage from the shipyard!

Exactly! We were on the Grand to Hawaii and the next stop was dry dock. We brought on contractors in Hawaii and they immediately started pulling up carpet here and there. Computer techs were installing computers and pulling wire. There's always painting going on on the Promenade deck and 1/2 the time sections were quarantined off so no passengers could walk through all the way around (very irritating). So I don't buy it that Princess doesn't want pax on board, maybe they want a crew working 24/7 with no one on board but the contractors. They should just say so instead of making up lies.

Edited by elliair

Exactly! We were on the Grand to Hawaii and the next stop was dry dock. We brought on contractors in Hawaii and they immediately started pulling up carpet here and there. Computer techs were installing computers and pulling wire. There's always painting going on on the Promenade deck and 1/2 the time sections were quarantined off so no passengers could walk through all the way around (very irritating). So I don't buy it that Princess doesn't want pax on board, maybe they want a crew working 24/7 with no one on board but the contractors. They should just say so instead of making up lies.

You've hit the nail on the head.

What lies? What lies did Princess make up?

The only things being made up are posted here... poster's suppositions and speculations on sailing to PDX along with the ship. Princess never offered that. All pax will be disembarked in HNL. That was the statement, and that is what is happening.

Princess never said they didn't want pax on the ship with contractors. That was said here.

I understand that having contractors onboard during your cruise was irritating including all the restrictions you had to experience. And this is the reason why in most cases it is avoided to do that - but not always possible. Why would pax stay onboard now, for the way to Portland? Arriving there on the 12th - what about cars in SFO and flights booked for pax to go home?

Contractors are not joining in Hawaii this time, since that was never the plan, except for some which you would not see, working on the machinery.

The crew will be working 24/7 if they have the material onboard to prepare the ship. And yes, they will have no time to provide regular service to passengers.

Did you ever disembark in a Dry Dock? With luggage? Depending on the dock used, it is a challenge....

Where did Princess make up lies, about anything?

Having pax onboard for the trip back to Portland is just not visible, also because once the ships gets into Dry Dock late, Contractors cannot wait for pax to disembark - they are also humans and want to be home for X-Mas and cannot work literally 24/7 either.

I think you would have to go to guest services and tell them that you want a flight to SFO then a Super Shuttle to the Pier to pick up your car. Is it parked at 55 Francisco or 80 Francisco or some other place?

thankfully not on this cruise. Just a "what if" commnt.

Why would pax stay onboard now, for the way to Portland? Arriving there on the 12th - what about cars in SFO and flights booked for pax to go home?

Some people are very afraid of flying. That is why they book a round-trio cruise that lets them see some of Hawaii with no flying involved.

And to show my age, I remember when USCG was under Treasury. I don't even know what departments the Lifesaving Service, Revenue Cutter Service, the Lighthouse Service, or the Steamboat Inspection Service were under prior to USCG. :eek: What a long, strange trip its been.

Which is why Coast Guard officers and enlisted still wear a Treasury Shield on their Service Dress uniforms.

Which is why Coast Guard officers and enlisted still wear a Treasury Shield on their Service Dress uniforms.

Both invented by Alexander Hamilton.

(we now leave our trivia break and return to the subjects at hand)

Edited by abbydancer

Both invented by Alexander Hamilton.

(we now leave our trivia break and return to the subjects at hand)

Actually I think that the trivia and the posts from the more knowledgeable folks have been the best part of this thread. At this point with passengers on their way, or soon to be on their way, home there isn't much else to do other than wait for the next group of post dry dock cruisers to report in. Maybe a cruise review or two when folks are back home would be welcome as well.

Edited by ar1950

Actually I think that the trivia and the posts from the more knowledgeable folks have been the best part of this thread. At this point with passengers on their way, or soon to be on their way, home there isn't much else to do other than wait for the next group of post dry dock cruisers to report in. Maybe a cruise review or two when folks are back home would be welcome as well.

I agree. Chengkp75 and Aquahound are 2 of the most factual and maritime knowledgeable posters on Cruise Critic. If they want to discuss PVSA, engineering, USCG or any other topic as they relate to this incident, I say let them. I always learn something when they post.

When you print out your extra boarding pass, it shows X-seat for so and so on the ticket. Both of us are of normal weight but some airlines allow you to just buy an extra seat when booking online (Jet Blue) while others don't charge you any extra but they book the extra seat for you (Delta). Not a lot of people do this as it always surprises somebody when they ask about the empty seat and we make note that we purchased it. You can and sometimes have to buy the extra seat if you are overweight ... so why not buy it if it is about $150 or even less for sheer comfort. Nobody has to take that middle seat and it is great to have room to stretch out.

Hi Cruise Raider,

This is amazing news to me! I have been paying enormous amounts for first class tickets. I really wish we had talked about this on the cruise we shared last December to the Mexican Riviera. I am totally trying this on our next flight. Mucho Gracias

We heard of one married couple who are being put on two different flights, one to Oakland and one to SFO, and then they will meet up again after being shuttled separately to their hotel.

Thanks for the post. We are new to cruising and one of the reasons I chose Princess to start this journey on is that I liked how they responded to these problems. I feel that problems are bound to occur and the mark of good customer relations is how well the company treats its clients without being compelled to do so. Princess has seemed to shine in this department.

However, I would refuse to take a separate flight than my husband home. Did this couple agree to this because it did not bother them? I certainly hope they had a choice.

Thanks again for your input.

Thanks for the post. We are new to cruising and one of the reasons I chose Princess to start this journey on is that I liked how they responded to these problems. I feel that problems are bound to occur and the mark of good customer relations is how well the company treats its clients without being compelled to do so. Princess has seemed to shine in this department.

However, I would refuse to take a separate flight than my husband home. Did this couple agree to this because it did not bother them? I certainly hope they had a choice.

Thanks again for your input.

Who knows if they had a choice (except them). It is unlikely that you will ever have that experience on any cruise, let alone a Princess cruise. Even so, as a long time married couple, DW and I would suggest that you may want to relax your expectations when it comes to travel glitches. In our many years we have had a couple (of travel glitches) and they always work out just fine. YMMV. ;)

Edited by ar1950

I would hope not, but I once saw the fine imposed against a man who had died and his wife. The deceased and his wife were removed from the ship at sea and taken into Key West. This was Carnival.

Seriously...I can't make this stuff up.

Totally off topic, but OMG. You moved! I just noticed your new location. Wow! I hope you like New Orleans. Must be quite a change for you after being in Key West for so long.

Back on topic, I really wish cruise ships would waive the PVSA fees for emergencies like that. I suppose they do some of the time, but it would be nice if they were more consistent.

I had to deal with contractors on the Coral Princess when we were in Alaska. It definitely affected the cruise in a negative way. We didn't have hot water most of the week (lukewarm at best the first five days) because they were swapping out most of the pipes taking water to the cabins on a couple decks. One day in port we came out of our cabin to see water dripping from the ceiling into large trash cans all the way down the hall, ladders all the way down the hall, and numerous men in overalls with the company name on them all the way down the hall. We had to squeeze past all this to get to the stairs. We returned from shore later to discover that the mess was still there. The contractors stayed with us until at least the end of the cruise - I saw them again on the final sea day. Some of the carpets in the hallway were still damp when we left - I could tell because they still had fans blowing in the halls. I can't imagine what it would be like immediately before or after a dry dock.

Who knows if they had a choice (except them). It is unlikely that you will ever have that experience on any cruise, let alone a Princess cruise. Even so, as a long time married couple, DW and I would suggest that you may want to relax your expectations when it comes to travel glitches. In our many years we have had a couple (of travel glitches) and they always work out just fine. YMMV. ;)

Thank you for your reply. I simply wanted to ascertain the level of customer service provided by Princess in this situation.

We have a saying..if one goes we both go. Hence, the same flight philosphy when it is possible to do so. Of course we both travel for business and well, that is simply what is needed to pay for the travel together.

We read about this couple in their late 80's that died together on a trip down the Amazon river and thought if we go that's how we'd like to do it!

We also have found that there are no wrong turns when traveling.....simply new adventures. We enjoy traveling without reservations and love to let the road take us where it will.

We've been together 22 years and will be together on adventures for another 22 if health and mind hold.

I hope you and your wife have many more years of adventures together as well.

Someone wanted to go on the ship to Portland because they hated flying. They asked if they could go back via the ship to Portland and were told no.

Yeah, not to mention that it is going to drydock in Portland, not to a passenger port that could necessarily service passengers at all, never mind legally or safely. I think the "passengers to Portland?" question could have been self-answered by them using a little common sense. Also, imagine the ship trying to service a half dozen passengers (or whatever small number it would be) who decided to stay on! It would be a nightmare. That alone would be enough reason to not allow it, never mind that there are a zillion other, more important, reasons.

Yeah, not to mention that it is going to drydock in Portland, not to a passenger port that could necessarily service passengers at all, never mind legally or safely. I think the "passengers to Portland?" question could have been self-answered by them using a little common sense. Also, imagine the ship trying to service a half dozen passengers (or whatever small number it would be) who decided to stay on! It would be a nightmare. That alone would be enough reason to not allow it, never mind that there are a zillion other, more important, reasons.

Correct. My point exactly, or, so I thought. Probably my original post is too far back on this thread to be recognized. Whatever. I will just say Bingo! You are probably correct. :cool:

The question in and of itself is not a dumb question. If I were in that situation, I might ask Princess if that was a possibility. The worst that could happen would be that they would say no. I would venture to say that most cruise line passengers don't have an in-depth knowledge of what is or is not possible in out of the ordinary situations so asking the cruise line if they can do something like this is not a bad idea at all. In fact, asking the cruise line itself makes much more sense than asking on Cruise Critic!

Tom

Totally off topic, but OMG. You moved! I just noticed your new location. Wow! I hope you like New Orleans. Must be quite a change for you after being in Key West for so long.

Back on topic, I really wish cruise ships would waive the PVSA fees for emergencies like that. I suppose they do some of the time, but it would be nice if they were more consistent.

Yeah, they had to drag me out of Key West. There are claw marks all the way up US1. But it was a job promotion, so it wasn't all bad. As for NOLA, well, let's just say it isn't Key West.

But yeah, in regards to PVSA, even in an event of Force Majeure, customs laws still apply. I doubt we'll ever know if the ship was fined in this case, but I would hope they didn't.