Euros

pso418

When going on a European cruise where do you get your euros? Wondering if better to at my bank, airport, or try to withdrawal from an ATM? Just wondering what the best solution is. Was never a problem on Caribbean cruises as they all take dollars.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Generally, it is best to get them at ATM's at the port. Check first with your bank. Ours got us some at a great price, before our November cruise. We supplemented using ATM's in Italy. Don't buy them on the cruise ships = not good rates, plus service charges.

When going on a European cruise where do you get your euros? Wondering if better to at my bank, airport, or try to withdrawal from an ATM? Just wondering what the best solution is. Was never a problem on Caribbean cruises as they all take dollars.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We got a few Euros from our bank before leaving. And then hit up an ATM the first day there. You'll get the better conversion rate by using the ATM than buying them beforehand from the bank, but we like to have a little tip money in hand immediately upon arrival.

I agree with the above posters: ATM is generally best.

Whatever you do, don't exchange at the airport, where the rate is terrible.

Also, watch out at the airport to be sure that you're using an actual bank ATM and not one of the Travelex machines that many airports have installed -- which also give bad rates of exchange....

We got a few Euros from our bank before leaving. And then hit up an ATM the first day there. You'll get the better conversion rate by using the ATM than buying them beforehand from the bank, but we like to have a little tip money in hand immediately upon arrival.

It's Europe, you do not need to tip. Please!

OP you will find ATM's at airports, ports, banks in fact, everywhere.

Some ATM's (Spain) charge a fee if you do not have a card that is affiliated to their bank or associated banks. A message will appear on the screen during the transaction to say that there is a charge and how much it is. Suggest you cancel the transaction and move to the next ATM! ;)

It's Europe, you do not need to tip. Please!

OP you will find ATM's at airports, ports, banks in fact, everywhere.

Some ATM's (Spain) charge a fee if you do not have a card that is affiliated to their bank or associated banks. A message will appear on the screen during the transaction to say that there is a charge and how much it is. Suggest you cancel the transaction and move to the next ATM! ;)

Oh, we don't tip everyone in sight. I guess I used the wrong terminology. We just are more comfortable having some "spending money" already in hand when we arrive. You never know when that urge for a candy bar will hit.

I agree with the above posters: ATM is generally best.

Whatever you do, don't exchange at the airport, where the rate is terrible.

Also, watch out at the airport to be sure that you're using an actual bank ATM and not one of the Travelex machines that many airports have installed -- which also give bad rates of exchange....

You can use the ATM at the airport. Same rate as all the other ATMs in the city

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I get some locally when I like the exchange rate (well like is a relative term -but when it seems to be lower ;) ). If it looks like things are going against us - I will buy more. I like to have a supply on arrival so we are not looking for an ATM. Then ATM's in Europe.

If you are someone who must book private excursions which require cash payment or books an apartment that requires cash payment, before you depart, find a local financial institution which sells currency and buy what you need there. Add maybe 100EU more for "curb cash" to get you going the first day or so. After that, there are "bancomat" machines all over at banks - use those instead of ATMs inside of hotels, etc... If you do not need a large quantity of cash, maybe get that 100EU or so from a local bank so you do not have to stop with the 3000 other people at the airport for the ATM.

I started out a long time ago with about 200 EU that I bought from my credit union. From then on, I use the bancomat to get more money. When I am ready to come back home, I just make sure I have 100 EU to bring home. Next time I go, I'm ready with my first day money (I've done this ever since the EU was introduced) to get a quick taxi, a snack, etc. I will grab some extra EU when I encounter a bancomat on my walk around that first day. Then, just add more as I need it.

We travel extensively and would never - ever - buy euros from a bank in the U.S. as it is a total waste of money when you can get much better rates abroad. ATM's are the way to go but make certain that you are using the right ATM machine (one that shows the card that you will be using). Although some places will accept U.S. dollars, the exchange rate is horrible.

Note: We sometimes tip in U.S. dollars (just because we can), but in 3rd world countries, we use local currency as we don't want the people to have to pay to exchange U.S. dollars into their local currency.

We travel extensively and would never - ever - buy euros from a bank in the U.S. as it is a total waste of money when you can get much better rates abroad. ATM's are the way to go but make certain that you are using the right ATM machine (one that shows the card that you will be using). Although some places will accept U.S. dollars, the exchange rate is horrible.

Note: We sometimes tip in U.S. dollars (just because we can), but in 3rd world countries, we use local currency as we don't want the people to have to pay to exchange U.S. dollars into their local currency.

I've never understood how a country the size of the US has terrible exchange capabilities. The exchange place across the street from me is about the same as an ATM in Europe.

Just curious - when you need 2000EU to pay for your pre-cruise apartment and those private excursions, what is your strategy to get all that money from the bancomat within 2 days?

For the "casual" money, sure, use the bancomat to grab 200EU or so as you need. But, some who cruise make plans which require substantial cash payment . The ATM is not a feasible plan for that, I believe.

when you need 2000EU to pay for your pre-cruise apartment and those private excursions

I would not consider this typical .... but nothing stops you from going INTO a bank and exchanging your currency. I did this for a LONG time b4 ATM machines became ubiquitous .... carried US into the country, found a bank and went in to exchange currency ..... not a big deal. In the olden days this was usually finding a bank and cashing travelers checks .....

TODAY I prefer to have a few hundred US in EURO (or local) in my pocket when I arrive, and go from there, mostly using ATMs. In my pocket are my primary and backup VISA/MC.

Just curious - when you need 2000EU to pay for your pre-cruise apartment and those private excursions, what is your strategy to get all that money from the bancomat within 2 days?

For the "casual" money, sure, use the bancomat to grab 200EU or so as you need. But, some who cruise make plans which require substantial cash payment . The ATM is not a feasible plan for that, I believe.

Well, we take some euros with us, but I do rely on ATM's. I definitely use a bank ATM for security.

My card lets me take up to $2500 Canadian a day so it is a non issue.

If your card does not allow enough of a withdrawal, it might be worth talking to your bank to see if they can up the limit? I'm not up on U.S. Banking anymore but I do believe they have some reasonable limits - or they used to.

Well, we take some euros with us, but I do rely on ATM's. I definitely use a bank ATM for security.

My card lets me take up to $2500 Canadian a day so it is a non issue.

If your card does not allow enough of a withdrawal, it might be worth talking to your bank to see if they can up the limit? I'm not up on U.S. Banking anymore but I do believe they have some reasonable limits - or they used to.

Usually it's not your card that determines what you can take out, it's the ATM and it's usually only a couple of hundred at a time.

I would not consider this typical .... but nothing stops you from going INTO a bank and exchanging your currency. I did this for a LONG time b4 ATM machines became ubiquitous .... carried US into the country, found a bank and went in to exchange currency ..... not a big deal.

Actually there is something stopping you -- at least some of the time. Quite a few banks now refuse to exchange currency unless you have a relationship with that bank. At least in Italy in recent experience (and I believe others have found it in other EU countries as well).

Usually it's not your card that determines what you can take out, it's the ATM and it's usually only a couple of hundred at a time.

Not my experience. But it depends upon the ATM you choose of course.

The lowest I have seen is 400 euros.

The bank ATM's have allowed more in my experience and IMO are safer. In any case, if need be and you don't mind the fees, you can simply withdraw several times.

ATM at the port let us do 800 euros at a time. I made two withdrawals that day - one for my friend that didn't have room and one for myself.

No problem at all.

Not my experience. But it depends upon the ATM you choose of course.

The lowest I have seen is 400 euros.

The bank ATM's have allowed more in my experience and IMO are safer. In any case, if need be and you don't mind the fees, you can simply withdraw several times.

ATM at the port let us do 800 euros at a time. I made two withdrawals that day - one for my friend that didn't have room and one for myself.

No problem at all.

As an ex Scotiabank employee I think you've been very lucky. It's not the norm