What to bring for a balcony?

racnwdow

We didn't even use the balcony when we had it, other than to show some friends who had an inside cabin what it was like. We stood outside long enough to take a picture; wind blowing our hair in our faces and freezing from the wind. We hated it, I don't see the appeal and am unlikely to ever book one again. I guess if you want to bring something special for it, I would suggest a coat, and a hair tie.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Binoculars are a must along with a camera...The things you see at sea are amazing. We once saw a toilet seat floating by in the middle of the ocean...We are still wondering the story behind that one

Reminds me of an old post I read about a transatlantic passenger observing a solitary live chicken on a floating wooden pallet in the middle of the Atlantic.

Reminds me of an old post I read about a transatlantic passenger observing a solitary live chicken on a floating wooden pallet in the middle of the Atlantic.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] I think that's stranger than our floating toilet seat. I wonder what came first...The chicken or the pallet?

Sent from Psycho's iPad using Forums

We didn't even use the balcony when we had it, other than to show some friends who had an inside cabin what it was like. We stood outside long enough to take a picture; wind blowing our hair in our faces and freezing from the wind. We hated it, I don't see the appeal and am unlikely to ever book one again. I guess if you want to bring something special for it, I would suggest a coat, and a hair tie.

Was it only cold & windy on your balcony? Did you use any of the outside decks on your cruise? I've never heard anyone complain about a balcony room.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What??????

OMG!!!

Only have done 3 cruises and had a balcony on all of them, can't see the day when I wouldn't have one, even if it was freezing cold, raining and blowing a hurricane.

Each to their own I suppose

One balcony caution I have not seen in the thread. Some ships have mid-ship or aft bulges. If you have a balcony on the bulge in the direction of travel, it may be most uncomfortable when the ship is in motion.

We have enjoyed balcony views while in port, especially those of runners trying to make the ship before the gangway is pulled.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Even if we stay in the room, we enjoy the floor to ceiling windows.

Strange. On the first night of our last cruise, my wife and I decided to leave the balcony door open to feel and smell the fresh air of the ocean as we sailed in the beginning of April. At about 2am in the morning I had to get up and close the door so the AC in the room would kick in because it was way too warm to sleep comfortably... at 2am...way out in the ocean...

Just last week my daughter asked me what I was most looking forward to on our Anthem cruise coming up this march. I showed her this picture and said: THAT

Untitled-1.jpg

Edited by dpostman

Was it only cold & windy on your balcony? Did you use any of the outside decks on your cruise? I've never heard anyone complain about a balcony room.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah it was only cold and windy on the balcony; being on the pool deck was fine. The weather on our trip was perfect, over 80 degrees every day and no rain. I think it was because of the way the wind gets trapped in the small space and because the deck is covered so the sun doesn't shine on you. To us, it was not a pleasant place to be, but the outside decks in the public spaces were great.

I think a lot of people just like the hype and status of having the balcony because they think inside rooms are just for poor people. I personally think balcony rooms are overrated and overpriced. I started out cruising in only balcony rooms because I bought into the hype that anything less would be really unpleasant and horrible. I finally switched to insides after seeing our friends room and realizing it was just fine and because we never use the balcony anyway.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

Strange. On the first night of our last cruise, my wife and I decided to leave the balcony door open to feel and smell the fresh air of the ocean as we sailed in the beginning of April. At about 2am in the morning I had to get up and close the door so the AC in the room would kick in because it was way too warm to sleep comfortably... at 2am...way out in the ocean...

Just last week my daughter asked me what I was most looking forward to on our Anthem cruise coming up this march. I showed her this picture and said: THAT

Untitled-1.jpg

Leaving the door open to get fresh air and a breeze is different than standing out on the balcony itself, where you're blasted by the wind. As for leaving the doors open, that reminds me of the other thing I dislike about balcony rooms; they are SO humid! They smell bad and it's hard to dry off and feel clean after taking a shower, clothes don't dry. I know people love them. I am just putting it out there that not everyone thinks they are the only way to sail and to some people, there are actually cons to a balcony room. I wouldn't see a balcony upgrade as something positive; they offered me one on my cruise last summer and I turned it down.

Ordering room service for breakfast on a sea day and eating out on the balcony, is what a cruise vacation is about. Its when I am the most relaxed, just watching the blue ocean going by, seeing the sun glisten off the spray. I cant wait, 1 week to go!!

I've loved balconies since we first made the jump from ocean view. I love sitting and looking at the beautiful ocean. I read, but keep getting distracted by the view.

We've never had a problem with wind, except crossing the Atlantic in March. Haven't been on the front edge of the hump, but I can see where the wind might catch you.

We love the middle of the hump, you can see forever.

There's never been any dampness or humidity in our cabin, because we don't leave the door open.

I don't disparage people in lesser priced categories, nor am I impressed with those in higher priced accommodations. We all have choices with how we spend our money.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Untitled-1.jpg

Yep...that says is all...peace & serenity...just love it:)

Yeah it was only cold and windy on the balcony; being on the pool deck was fine. The weather on our trip was perfect, over 80 degrees every day and no rain. I think it was because of the way the wind gets trapped in the small space and because the deck is covered so the sun doesn't shine on you. To us, it was not a pleasant place to be, but the outside decks in the public spaces were great.

I think a lot of people just like the hype and status of having the balcony because they think inside rooms are just for poor people. I personally think balcony rooms are overrated and overpriced. I started out cruising in only balcony rooms because I bought into the hype that anything less would be really unpleasant and horrible. I finally switched to insides after seeing our friends room and realizing it was just fine and because we never use the balcony anyway.

Hmmm. DW and I have only had one cruise without a balcony. It was an Ocean View, but we really missed having the balcony. Even on Alaska cruises we go for a balcony.

I guess it all depends on how you use it, but we love having breakfast on our balcony as we approach that day's port. And having a drink in the late afternoon or evening as we sail away. On sea days, while some are fighting over loungers around the pool, we're quite happy to sit and read on our balcony. Having a late evening drink on our balcony before turning in is just part of our life aboard.

Status? Not at all. Suites may provide that for some, but not an everyday balcony. We book balconies because we use and love 'em; nothing to do with hype either.

If you prefer an inside cabin, whatever your reasons, that's fine, but please don't try to denigrate those who book balconies because of the pleasure we derive from them.

Happy sailing!

We have only stayed in a JS. I love having a bathtub and the big closet. Our daughter stayed next to us in a regular balcony room. She never went out there. So next cruise she is in an inside room. I agree if you don't use it don't pay for it. We have breakfast on our balcony quite often. Every afternoon we go back to our room and order a midway snack from room service. The fruit plate and cheese plate are great. After that we grab our pillows and nap [emoji42] in the loungers on the balcony. We have a late dinner seating so this works well for us. This is one the highlights of our cruise!

Hmmm. DW and I have only had one cruise without a balcony. It was an Ocean View, but we really missed having the balcony. Even on Alaska cruises we go for a balcony.

I guess it all depends on how you use it, but we love having breakfast on our balcony as we approach that day's port. And having a drink in the late afternoon or evening as we sail away. On sea days, while some are fighting over loungers around the pool, we're quite happy to sit and read on our balcony. Having a late evening drink on our balcony before turning in is just part of our life aboard.

Status? Not at all. Suites may provide that for some, but not an everyday balcony. We book balconies because we use and love 'em; nothing to do with hype either.

If you prefer an inside cabin, whatever your reasons, that's fine, but please don't try to denigrate those who book balconies because of the pleasure we derive from them.

Happy sailing!

Sorry I didn't mean to sound like I was denigrating people for people picking balconies. My point was that if you read these boards people would think that balconies are the only way to go, and that they wouldn't DARE sail if they had to have anything lower than that. I was simply giving the devil's advocate side to what is usually touted on here.

There's lots of different room categories that are meant to fit all kinds of needs and desires and budgets, and it's good that there's a niche for everyone. I was giving my personal views of why I don't like the balconies, and for others to consider that they may not be all they're cracked up to be.

For those who are new to cruising and worried that they have to spend the extra money to get a balcony because "it just won't be the same without it" etc, shouldn't worry because they may be like me and not actually like the balcony. I prefer eating upstairs anyway. I like the hustle and bustle of being around people and I generally only use my room to sleep and shower, so the need for solitude on the balcony doesn't appeal to me, and it's good for others to realize it's not the end of the world not to have (or to like) the balconies. The good thing for me is that since most people do, it keeps the rooms I book really cheap, haha!

We try to get an Aft Balcony on every cruise. We love the extra space. We hang a hammock and spend a lot of quiet time just reading a book and enjoying the ocean.

Also bring my Ipad with plenty of books to read and some homemade apple pie for a nightcap:rolleyes:

We have been on 9 cruises, 5 Aft Balconies. The extra room is so great!

JoeRum