Motion sickness

barbara01

Help please, This is my first cruise and I am taking my 80yr old mother to the southern caribbean in April.

My mum suffers from Menieres disease which is a condition of the inner ear causing something akin to severe vertigo, which is why I have never taken her on a cruise. We are told that she won't feel the movement on a large ship but I am concerned, I was told that the highest decks would be the best so we have cabins on the 9th deck. I have now read that there is a lot of movement felt on the higher decks and we would have been better lower down.

Can anyone please confirm. We are travelling on Celebrity Summit.

Many Thanks

I'm not sure where you heard that you won't feel movement on a large ship. Low and center is def best on it, but if waves are rough, you will feel the movement. We were just on a cruise where we left from Tampa and had 2 days at sea followed by 4 eastern Caribbean ports in a row. The 4 port days were in calm seas and we weren't going very fast and on those days there was little to no movement felt. But the 4 sea days where we were traveling quite a bit the ship was rocking and rolling. Most people were not bothered by the movement, but you could definitely feel it. Def consult her doctor on the best course of action in case that happens on yours. See if there are any seasickness meds ok for her to take.

Yes...lower and middle is usually the advice. She should consult her doctor for his recommendations for treatment, particularly since she has Menier's.

For general motion sickness, meclizine (usually sold as Bonine name brand) has always worked for me. I start dosage a day before the cruise. Dramamine makes me drowsy. Looking at the horizon and getting fresh air are also key.

Ignore those who will inevitably tell you to get a sea band for the wrist or other home remedies like ginger or green apples. Follow her doctor's advice.

Mid ship is best to minimize motion. Lower deck are better then higher decks.

There are many different things you can try to reduce the effects of motion sickness.

Sea bands are wrist bands with a small plastic button you wear over your wrist and the pressure is supposed to reduce motion sickness.

Ginger candies or pills also work.

Also there are scopolamine patches.

In light of her age I'd check with her doctor about the ginger and the scopolamine I think you need a prescription for.

Mid ship is best to minimize motion. Lower deck are better then higher decks.

There are many different things you can try to reduce the effects of motion sickness.

Sea bands are wrist bands with a small plastic button you wear over your wrist and the pressure is supposed to reduce motion sickness.

Ginger candies or pills also work.

Also there are scopolamine patches.

In light of her age I'd check with her doctor about the ginger and the scopolamine I think you need a prescription for.

The scopolomine patch would be contraindicated for any 80 year old, let alone one with a chronic problem like Menieres. The physician who is treating this disease is the only one who should be giving this lady advice on managing this plus sea sickness. Since Meclizine is one of the drugs used to treat Menieres, this may be one option suggested.

OP, if your mother is on a diuretic and low salt diet as part of her treatment, you will want to mention her dietary restriction to the Maitre d in the MDR when you board, or on your first evening.

I don't want to be negative but my daughter who is 39 was dizzy for most of our one week cruise on the Reflection and for several days after we got home. It started on day 2 when the seas were slightly rough. Ginger did not work . As long as she was moving she was ok but whenever she was still she was dizzy. She was not stomach sick at all but no appetite

I think you are getting some good information here to counter the horrible information (No motion on big ships, best decks are high decks).

If your mother truly is going to be susceptible to motion, you might want to consider a different vacation plan. After nearly 70 cruises in all kinds of weather, if it were me, I simply would not put her at risk for really choppy weather, which can happen anywhere in the world. As much as we love cruising (obviously) it really would not be worth the risk.

The one and only time my wife became seasick was when she was pregnant. She wouldn't take anything due to pregnancy and the bands did not work at all. That was when she discovered the acupuncturist.

We're not really acupuncture people - but I will say after that trip, she became a believer!

Mike

Help please, This is my first cruise and I am taking my 80yr old mother to the southern caribbean in April.

My mum suffers from Menieres disease which is a condition of the inner ear causing something akin to severe vertigo, which is why I have never taken her on a cruise. We are told that she won't feel the movement on a large ship but I am concerned, I was told that the highest decks would be the best so we have cabins on the 9th deck. I have now read that there is a lot of movement felt on the higher decks and we would have been better lower down.

Can anyone please confirm. We are travelling on Celebrity Summit.

Many Thanks

Maybe the person who told you that just misunderstood what you were asking.

There was an article about choosing cabins right here on Cruise Critic that stated:

"If you tend to get seasick, cabin location is really important. It's a question of engineering, really. The lower and more central you are in a ship, the less roll and sway you will feel. Even if you choose a balconied stateroom, choose the lowest level and the most midship one you can find. The higher decks and cabins at the very front (forward) or back (aft) of the ship will rock and roll the most."

Do call and try to get your cabin location changed to a lower deck, near the center of the ship.

Although the handicap accessible cabins are intended for people who use wheelchairs or scooters, if any are still available this close to sailing, you may be able to get one for your mother.

Those cabins are ideal for people with balance problems as they have lots of grab bars and also emergency cords to summon help, just in case.......

By the way, I learned from personal experience with a family member that they respond immediately if anybody trips one of those emergency cords.

If you are taking one of the Summit's Caribbean cruises that start and end in San Juan, it should normally be quite smooth.

Many times we didn't even realize that the ship was moving because it felt like it was still docked.

Just avoid cruises that go up or down the Atlantic coast, which can sometimes get really rough.

Even the Caribbean cruises that start or end in Florida get bumpy at times, so for anyone with balance problems or who gets seasick, a cruise that starts and ends in San Juan is really a great choice.

Of course she should check with her doctor before taking any new medications.

Meclizine is provided on the ship at no cost at Guest Relations and at the medical center to anybody who wants it

But don't discount the use of non-medicinal seasickness preventatives, such as relief bands, which work very well for many people, if they are applied correctly.

Lots of passengers prefer to avoid taking extra unnecessary medications.

Also, many passengers really do get relief from home remedies such as ginger or green apples or crackers. There have been many articles written about them.

Wheelchair service is provided at the port to anyone needing it for embarkation and disembarkation.

So don't hesitate to request a wheelchair for boarding, if that is something that would be helpful for your mother, (if she is willing to use one).

Wishing you and your mother a wonderful cruise, and many more to follow.

I'm not making a recommendation for the 80yo woman. But something that worked for me years ago when I felt very seasick was Meclizine and Classic Coke. (not diet) I went to dinner but couldn't eat and you know how the waiters like to bring you food.

Our waiter brought me the pills and Classic Coke and by dessert I felt better and could eat. I was very surprised it worked since it's best to take the meds before feeling sick.

Yes follow her doctors advice. As far as ignoring people who tell you sea bands and ginger well all i can say is that they have both worked for me.

Absolutely agree! It worked for my wife than the meclizine drugs and patches. I am just amused by those who advise to consult a doctor, and yet, pre empts a licensed medical practitioner by advising that seabands and ginger will not work.

We have cruised South Caribbean on the Summit (very back deck 6). Whilst most days the sea was calm we did still feel some movement. I never actually felt sick but was aware we had generally good weather....Strongly suggest midships low deck. As a sufferer from sea sickness I definitely feel better with a sea view and fresh air so I would also recommend a balcony room....

How has your Mum coped in years gone by on short sea/river day trips or has she always avoided them? Whilst they are obviously nothing like a cruise taking her on a couple of hour river or coastal trip may give you some idea how badly she is likely to be effected by motion....

My mom has Menieres disease and has cruised without any motion sickness, so perhaps that is cause for hope that your mom will also be okay. However, if she's never cruised, you still don't know what to expect. Therefore, I also endorse the advice to talk to her doctor, book a lower midship cabin, and be prepared with motion sickness remedies.

Sea bands are hoo-doo and ginger/green apples are folk medicine. Someone with a medical condition that makes them susceptible to dizziness should be prepared with the strongest pharmaceuticals they can stomach before they get in the middle of the ocean to realize they're not prepared. Feel free to cross your fingers and throw salt over your left shoulder while standing on one leg and assume that will take care of it, but it's spectacularly bad advice.

Just talk to her doctor and see what he recommends as far as a cruise. You can always have motion. Mother nature is mother nature. We were just on Summit 7th floor midship in January and had the smoothest seas ever but also have been on some rougher ones.

I use a trans derm scope patch and have never been sick.

Good luck in your decision..

I get motion sick drinking a glass of water....and have BPPV to boot, so I totally understand what your mother is/will go through!

The good news is that most ships are pretty big and have stabilizers. Cabins in the middle (fore to aft) and lower in the ship will help with the sway. I've not found any need for medication on our last 5-6 cruises...so I am happy (but....I always take something along....just in case!)

But, before that I tried the patch....and it will make it so she won't be able to spit if she had to (major dry mouth).....but it works! Ginger has been proven effective, but it has to be HIGH concentrations - not ginger ale, not soft chew candies.....try candied ginger which you can find in some health food stores. It's not the most pleasant thing to eat, but the sugar 'helps the medicine go down'! Dramamine works too, but some make you drowsy, although they do make non-drowsy formulations. If you will be doing some type of medication.....try it BEFORE you take her on the cruise! That way you will know if she will be able to tolerate it. I've not tried any of the other items.

I do hope that you and she have a wonderful cruise! Please let us know how she fares!

To the OP. No one on this board who has given you advice on what motion medication for your mother to take knows what medicines your she takes, or what she may be allergic to, or what medicines may interact with her system.

IMHO I would ignore what works for others on this forum and talk to her physician or at the least talk with a pharmacist.:):)

i think OP was just looking for suggestions on what works for others for motion sickness. But yes your mother needs to talk to her doctor to make sure drugs wont interact with others and to find out if she should even go on the cruise. Just my 2 cents..

If you get a green light.. enjoy your cruise..