What's the most useful thing you pack?

A quick charger with multiple ports and LONG (six to ten-foot) cables for your Android and iOS devices. One cable per person is ideal. Even if you don't buy a data plan, you might still want to read a downloaded book (using the Kindle or Nook app), use the camera, etc. No sense in fighting over who gets to charge their device when you're in the cabin.

And if you're prone to heartburn or acid reflux, bring your own Prilosec/Zantac/whatever: the stuff they sell on board is literally $6 for a four-tablet container.

I agree about the heartburn meds! Even some Tums would come in handy- all that rich food takes a toll after a while.

I'd also recommend some cold medicine, especially if you're flying into port. It's too easy to catch some upper respiratory crud while on the flight.

This site helped me a lot several years ago when I first started cruising.

- over the door shoe organizer for various toiletries and other items (shampoo, lotion, aloe, brushes, downy wrinkle release, etc) to keep off the small bathroom counter.

- Pen, paper, highlighter

- Popup mesh hamper for closet for dirty clothes

- Hairdryer (the ones provided are not very good if you have long or thick hair)

- Sanitizer wipes to wipe down the cabin when I first get in.

- Clips to hold towels to lounge chairs

- Yeti thermos to keep cold drinks cold and hot drinks hot

- Gallon Ziploc bags (for wet swim wear that hasn't had a chance to dry)

- Air freshener (not aerosol)

You've gotten a lot of great ideas on here!

Same reason I pack the GF! ;p

Actually, we alternate paying for cruises. I'm up next :o

haha I pay for most of the cruise fare up until final then if any thing is still owed he takes over. Once we're on board it's all him:*. Of course he makes twice as much in one week than I make in 2 :o

So many good pointers here. I always love reading what others bring and have added many of these items over the years to my own "must take" list. I would agree with JamesEM that Duck (or Duct) tape is a definite must-have. We've used it to tape our suitcase shut when the zipper broke as we packed for our return flight home. I used it years ago (when I was on a winter cruise and was wearing stockings and the package said "sheer toe" and when I opened it, it was a "reinforced toe") to tape the reinforced toe to the underside of my toes/foot. Yeah, I don't wear stocking any longer with open-toe heels...that was a long time ago. :)) Once when we were on a Holland older ship the cabin creaked so badly that we literally couldn't sleep. My husband taped around the entire cabin where the wall and ceiling join and the creaking totally stopped. We removed the tape before we disembarked, but it was a lifesaver. Last year we had a balcony connecting door (but we didn't have it opened to the other balcony) that kept banging all the time so we wedged some good old duct tape into the opening and it kept that door from banging. The neighbors on the adjoining balcony thanked us profusely. I'd like to hear how JamesEM and others have used that magic tape... :)

The one thing we always bring in our carry on is Lysol wipes. We wipe down all handles, switches, tv remote, phone u name it. Even the inside of drawers because I don't know who's dirty underwear where in the drawers. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A quick charger with multiple ports and LONG (six to ten-foot) cables for your Android and iOS devices. One cable per person is ideal. Even if you don't buy a data plan, you might still want to read a downloaded book (using the Kindle or Nook app), use the camera, etc. No sense in fighting over who gets to charge their device when you're in the cabin.

And if you're prone to heartburn or acid reflux, bring your own Prilosec/Zantac/whatever: the stuff they sell on board is literally $6 for a four-tablet container.

You can get antacids in the infirmary vending machine. 50 cents for a pack of two

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

The one thing we always bring in our carry on is Lysol wipes. We wipe down all handles, switches, tv remote, phone u name it. Even the inside of drawers because I don't know who's dirty underwear where in the drawers. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We do that as well. I do it every day. Especially with the room attendant coming in and out . Better safe than sorry

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The pop-up mesh hamper has been with us on every cruise. Got the idea from this site. It stows easily in the closet and when the bag of laundry special comes around I can just grab the hamper and pull out what I need to send out.

Make sure you bring something to write with. I don't believe they put pens in the desk drawer now.

Our suite on Serenade wouldn't play newer BluRays since encryption key was out of date on the PS3. [emoji33]

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

I always leave our blue ray dvd's at home. normally just bring some Bing Bang and also music dvd's, concierge had to show us how to use PS3 player:D

Sounds crazy but I always bring packs of glow sticks. (the kind you can make into a bracelet) On the older ships there is no night light in the bathroom so I put one on the bathroom door knob so I can see to get to the bathroom without tripping over something and one inside the bathroom so I don't have to blind myself by turning on the bright light.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Forums mobile app

Sounds crazy but I always bring packs of glow sticks. (the kind you can make into a bracelet) On the older ships there is no night light in the bathroom so I put one on the bathroom door knob so I can see to get to the bathroom without tripping over something and one inside the bathroom so I don't have to blind myself by turning on the bright light.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Forums mobile app

I love this idea.

Always bring a popup hamper, lined with a trash bag. When full of dirty clothes, tie trash bag & put it in suitcase. Lip balm and good hand cream. Once I was sunburned in the one place I missed putting sun block. Didn't have anything except hand lotion w/shea butter. It worked great. Post it notes, highlighters.Water shoes. Got some great ideas from this thread.