Re-filling water bottles at Horizon Court on Royal Princess !!!

Reina del Mar

While you don't think it's much of a problem, the regulation is set by the USPH/CDC, not the cruise line, and these folks are world renowned experts in contagious diseases and epidemiology, and if they feel it is a potential contamination source, I'll go along with the experts.

Actually the USPH allows refilling of bottles by consumers on ships:

section 7.3.3.4.6 of the USPH VSP Operations Manual: Drinking cups and containers may be reused by self service CONSUMERS if refilling is a CONTAMINATION-free process.

And the USPH/CDC has stricter guidelines than most state and local health codes, as told to me by USPH inspectors, most of whom are former state and local health inspectors. Just like a recent study by the CDC showed that if local swimming pools were under USPH/CDC control, 80% of them would be closed for violations, while ships' pools remain open while meeting the USPH/CDC requirements. The USPH/CDC can enforce stricter requirements on cruise ships, because they can, while they have no jurisdiction over local and state health codes.

Actually the USPH allows refilling of bottles by consumers on ships:

section 7.3.3.4.6 of the USPH VSP Operations Manual: Drinking cups and containers may be reused by self service CONSUMERS if refilling is a CONTAMINATION-free process.

That is what I said in a previous post, that "touch-free" dispensers are considered to be a contamination free process. However, a push lever dispenser is not considered to be a contamination free process.

The fact is that airports, universities and public buildings have installed or are installing water bottle refill stations. Refilling directly into bottles without using any intermediary vessel is quickly becoming the norm. It is what people are or will be familiar with. This behavior isn't going away. Instead it will become more prevalent. We just have to deal with it.

Which has nothing to do with this thread/USPH, or the Royal Princess.

Which has nothing to do with this thread/USPH, or the Royal Princess.

Nonsense. It pertains because it illuminates a shifting dynamic culture-wide on how this issue is perceived and handled throughout an evolving society. Those shifts cannot help but manifest themselves on cruise ships as the demographic morphs from one that has not traditionally refilled bottles to one which considers the practice to be commonplace. In other words, as older cruisers who have not lived their lives refilling bottles are replaced by younger cruisers who consider the practice to be the norm, you are going to see more and more of this. For your statement to be true, life and culture on a cruise ship would have to bear no reflection on life in general and we know that is not the case. Cruise ships are microcosms of society and those societal norms are replicated at sea. Look no further than formal night attire for proof of this. The level of dress has not diminished on ships in a vacuum. The change is a reflection of what is happening on land. On land, people are refilling water bottles at airports, universities and public buildings at higher and higher rates every day and the practice is growing. It is illogical to think that this increased practice will not also manifest on cruise ships. People don't leave their habits in the boarding lounge.

Why not just fill your water bottle in your stateroom? If you want it chilled, put it in your fridge. Have two bottles, swap them over and you'll always have chilled water.

chengkp75,

Is there any difference in the water dispensed in the buffet and that coming out of the tap in the rooms?

Why not just fill your water bottle in your stateroom? If you want it chilled, put it in your fridge. Have two bottles, swap them over and you'll always have chilled water.

If you refill your bottle at the buffet you can mix it with ice & it cold right then vs. waiting 2 days for it to get somewhat cool in the fridge.

I agree.........

I have seen signs in the past but it does not do any good.

There are always those that don't give a *&^%.

Same ones that use the toilets and walk out without washing their hands and head into the buffet.

It is disgusting.

Remember it is MY cruise.

NOT the same ones. I think it's utterly flithy and disgusting to use the restroom and walk out without washing one's hands. But, you'd be surprised at the number of people of ALL genders and ALL ethnicities that do it.

But will I refill my bottle at a drinking fountain? Yes. Do I make sure my bottle is clean and no part of the spigot where water flows touches my bottle? Absolutely! I'm not for spreading nor catching of germs. But I'm the crazy lady who never touches stair rails, elevator buttons, door handles, etc. And I travel with more bottles of hand sanitizer and disinfectant wipes than any DINK person probably should. And no, I don't have OCD. I just believe in prevention and good hygiene and realize that there are many in the world who don't.

I don't understand why everyone is up in arms about people refilling a bottle but not about refilling a glass. Why not? The glass touches the SAME parts of another person as a bottle.

Your steward will provide ice in your stateroom.

You do have a point re: fridge temp. - on my last cruise, even though I cranked the dial up to '10', It wouldn't get colder than about 5 degrees below room temperature.

How many people have actually gotten sick from this type of contamination? Is it really that great of a problem or is it just germaphobes worrying.

Obviously a germaphobe.....who knows how all the germs get passed on a ship but they are everywhere I am sure and filling a water bottle has to be really way down on the food chain of how diseases are passed on a ship.

One of the reasons I never eat in the buffet is because I never know where people's hands have been who use all the serving utensils to fill their plates....;p:eek:

I don't understand why everyone is up in arms about people refilling a bottle but not about refilling a glass. Why not? The glass touches the SAME parts of another person as a bottle.

As is the rule in the buffet line, one is supposed to get a clean/new plate when returning.

Same thing with the glass, one should get a clean one. Although some don't.

Obviously a germaphobe.....who knows how all the germs get passed on a ship but they are everywhere I am sure and filling a water bottle has to be really way down on the food chain of how diseases are passed on a ship.

One of the reasons I never eat in the buffet is because I never know where people's hands have been who use all the serving utensils to fill their plates....;p:eek:

Exactly - Who knows how? Where have the hands pf all the servers who put the food out been? Sorry germaphobia is not something I am or ever will be.

Trust me....we probably don't want to know! :eek:

Ignorance might actually be bliss in this case....lol

Just returned from a cruise on Royal Princess.

Rather concerned to find passengers re filling water bottles directly from water fountains at Horizon Court.

Happy to drink ship's water and for those who wish to re fill bottles to do so, but really think there should be signs instructing passengers to fill a clean cup and decant water to their own bottle, instead of this unhygienic practice !!!! :evilsmile::evilsmile::evilsmile:

No signs and didn't see anyone alerted from doing this.

What do you think ????

I'm in the food industry & that's a big taboo!! A person could infect many others if their bottle "touches" the surface of the filler. I've yelled at pax for that & touching food with their hands. If they tell me to F888 I then resort to getting really loud & publically shaming them. Trust me that works VERY well. Many others in the area will join in. If you've never had Noro, chewing out some moron is well worth it, to prevent others from getting it.

Would you like to fill your bottle & perhaps infect the rest of us?? I deal with this stuff all the time. I'm not a germaphobe, but trying to keep patrons from contaminating food in our restaurants is a daily chore. My spouse is a kidney transplant patient & trust me I get REAL protective when I see the incredible amount of morons who don't hesitate to touch food with their hands. People who touch food around us in this way, get a tongue lashing from me they won't soon forget.

How does this present a problem?

refill-250b1.jpg

I've seen "splash back from water bottles & also enough idiots that hold the bottle right up against the water source. Just DON'T do it ok?

Edited by keithm
spelling

Would you like to fill your bottle & perhaps infect the rest of us?? I deal with this stuff all the time. I'm not a germaphobe, but trying to keep patrons from contaminating food in our restaurants is a daily chore. My spouse is a kidney transplant patient & trust me I get REAL protective when I see the incredible amount of morons who don't hesitate to touch food with their hands. People who touch food around us in this way, get a tongue lashing from me they won't soon forget.

Good for you. I wish more people were more diligent about this- touching food with their hands and worse, sampling food, licking fingers and THEN touching food/utensils. One lady got snippy with me because I made a point of unwrapping my silver to use the cloth napkin to touch the handle that she'd just done the above to.

Either way the bottle issue is a mute point for me, esp on a cruise ship. I drink bottled water only and don't refill them. And since I carry a bottle to work that I filled at home (which I then refill with bottled water at work) it doesn't really apply to my daily life 99% of the time, either.

When I do refill- like in an airport, I make sure bottle is clean, no touching of bottle in any way to the spigot, and I make sure there's no splash back.

I've seen "splash back from water bottles & also enough idiots that hold the bottle right up against the water source. Just DON'T do it ok?

Unless you plan on spending your whole cruise around the water dispenser correcting everyone, they's no way to prevent people from using them the way they see fit.

We don't fill our insulated travel mug at the water dispenser. We take several glasses of ice back to our room, fill the mug with the ice and then bottle water. We are good to go off ship with ice water to have while on excursions.

They had signs on the water dispensers in the Horizon Court on the Island Princess in December. It was the first time I'd seen a sign on a Princess ship. I was happy to see it. I did see people filling clean glasses and then pouring the water into their personal bottles. That said, it doesn't mean everyone follows directions. Personally, I pre-purchase bottles water from the website and use that when I need to carry water with me.

If you refill your bottle at the buffet you can mix it with ice & it cold right then vs. waiting 2 days for it to get somewhat cool in the fridge.

2 days? Please stop your exaggeration. Obviously you have never tried it. I did that on my last 3 cruises. Filled the water bottles at night, by morning they were ice cold.

chengkp75,

Is there any difference in the water dispensed in the buffet and that coming out of the tap in the rooms?

The only difference is that the water dispensers (both customer operated and the ones the wait staff use in the dining room), bar guns, and ice makers will have a carbon filter to remove the chlorine (for maintenance reasons, not taste), which you can duplicate by putting your bottle filled in the cabin in the fridge for a couple of hours (to make it cooler) with an open top (to allow the chlorine to dissipate naturally).

And yes, you are not supposed to refill a glass from the dispensers either, you are to take a clean glass each time, so that there is no cross-contamination of the push lever, either from a glass or a water bottle.