Lots of changes at NCL...

brian99

This has been addressed elsewhere, but I very rarely get drinks served in disposable cups.

Only at the pool bars, for the reasons stated above. I rarely get drinks from there, and everywhere else gives proper glasses.

I've not been on the Getaway for a couple of years, so I suppose it may be different there.

On our last NCL Gem cruise, someone broke a "proper" glass on the Pool Deck near the shower.

They cleaned it up, but missed a "proper" shard of glass, and someone else gained a proper cut on their foot.

The proper authorities then roped off the whole blood-trailed pool area for a clean-up.

Punishment?:evilsmile:

Rhetorical question...

Do Forest Rangers take cruises to "get away from it all"?

Edited by $hip$hape

I have been cruising for almost 30 years. There have been many changes good and bad during that time on all cruise lines. These changes and its effects are very subjective. My perspective is that when the changes spoil my vacations and I don't enjoy them anymore, we will find other ways to travel.

To the OP, you have summed the changes pretty good. Hope you try it for yourself and see if you like the changes.

Keep in mind that you do pay the 18% gratuity on the value of the 'free' drink package and the 'free' specialty dinners. IMO it's worth the cost, but some folks don't realize they have to prepay those gratuities.

Only if you are from USA-or Canada. We lucky ones from U.K. get the free UBP as totally free-we pay no extra gratuities on the drinks. But it's all changed here now recently-NCL is now All-Inc if booked in UK-drinks,grats,water in room & coffee in restaurants. Probably cruise gone up in price though! Our USA friends should check that-it may be better to book in the UK if you like a drink (or several!)

Edited by firstcarib
typo

Speaking as someone who very rarely cruises (just don't have the $$ or the access where we are in Canada!) these are my thoughts. We last cruised with NCL on the Spirit in 2013 and loved it (Grand Med from Venice). We are booked to return to the Spirit in July 2018 sailing from Rome on it's Adriatic cruise. So very excited! Things that have changed since we last sailed are the 'perks' like the UBP etc, and the fact that they don't allow water to be brought onboard. We are your basic cruisers. The MDR is good enough for us as a family of four so we didn't indulge in the Dining package. We also are DIY'ers in port so we don't need the shore excursion credit. We also like a glass of wine but don't drink a lot and really don't think the UBP would be worth it. For us, the cruise is all about comfort, the itinerary and ease of travel, and for that NCL and the Spirit are still, in our minds, a great deal. I think sometimes that the more you partake in something, maybe the easier it is to see the downsides or the flaws. For those of us for whom a cruise like this is a one (twice?) in a lifetime opportunity, I just see all the benefits that we are getting. Just my .02

Plastic cups?!!! Are we savages? Just no. I must have a proper drink in the proper glass, the only exception being the pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I laughed too hard at this!! Loved it. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We loved improved MDR menus (although they were already better in 2014 on BA), but missed salmon in morning buffet in April on Gem. Something we always expect on cruise ships.

• 4 months later...