Men...What do you where to dinner in the MDR?

Here's what I did for a 12 night River Cruise ( 19 total days for the trip though) with a dress code that reads similar to Carnival but in reality is quite a bit dressier based on what I've read here. No true formal night, but there is a gala night. We were told by management here on Cruise Critic that a suit or tux would have been a bit much, but I disagree after seeing everyone else dressing to the nines on gala night. Wife was especially wishing she packed nicer stuff for the night out at a concert in Vienna (which we hadn't planned on doing) and for the gala night. We were the only Americans on board, so with 99% being European, it was bound to be dressier. Anyway, point is if your husband dresses up, this may be helpful, if he's not into dressing up, well... may still be useful. Photos down below.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2482753

Edited by exbiologist
Spelling

Regular Nights = Shorts or Jeans with tshirt with flips or sneakers.

Elegant Nights = Khaki slacks with golf shirt or hawaiian shirt with dark sneakers & black socks.

We gave the up the dressy look many cruises ago. It is soooo much more comfortable!

Husband's first time. I am sure I will need to tell him what to pack. What type of outfits did you wear in the main dining room? My last cruise everyone was in there so causal, I was actually surprised. I just want to give him some guidance. I usually where a sundress and I am good. Dress up on formal night.

Help me out.

On embarkation day, I wear whatever I have on...usually Columbia waters shorts and a tee shirt.

Non-formal nights - shorts and polo.

Formal nights - khakis and polo

And here is what I wear on my feet EVERY night to the MRD. And everyday walking around the ship. They have unsurpassed grip on any wet surface:

https://www.amazon.com/Teva-Mens-Omnium-Sandal-Brown/dp/B0016MSIDC/ref=sr_1_5?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1495757352&sr=1-5&nodeID=679255011&psd=1&keywords=teva+mens+sandals

And NEVER if you paid me: Coat/tie, button up shirt, slacks, dress shoes. I am on vacation...not dressing for funeral.

And to go beyond your initial question....

My packing list for a 7 day cruise would be: 1 pair of khakis, two pairs casual shorts and three polos...mix and match every evening. A couple pair of swim trunks, one long sleeve sun shirt, one pair running shorts and running shirt, running shoes, running hat and a large brim hat, 4-5 running socks, 1 pair Columbia water shorts, 3-4 tee shirts and a pair of crocs to wear to the spa and in the cabin. It can all easily fit in a medium size suitcase with my toiletries. And aside from the khakis and casual shorts, all my clothes are high-tech material so easy to wash out in the sink and hang to dry overnight if needed.

And if I plan properly, most of the tees shirts, the socks, and a couple pairs of shorts will end up in the trash (basically worn and beat up when I pack them).

Edited by Badfinger

Elegant Nights = Khaki slacks with golf shirt or hawaiian shirt with dark sneakers & black socks.

We gave the up the dressy look many cruises ago. It is soooo much more comfortable!

Exactly, no jacket, no tie, the only difference in my dress is I wear slacks on elegant night

I'm on vacation...Speedos, long white stripe socks and dress shoes!

j/k

On non-elegant night, Dockers khaki pants and polo shirt (tucked) with belt and dress shoes.

Elegant night...whatever the wife picks out for me for all those dog-gone pictures! :D

Polo or Tommy Bahama and shorts with boat shoes or sandals on casual nights, khakis and a Tommy Bahama or rarely a sport coat and dress shirt. We live close to Galveston, so if I drive to port I'll take a jacket. When we fly I leave them at home.

It's a matter of personal preference, as all described in my post and others are perfectly fine according to our host. We both change into shorts and sandals or boat shoes after dinner prior to the shows.

Husband's first time. I am sure I will need to tell him what to pack. What type of outfits did you wear in the main dining room? My last cruise everyone was in there so causal, I was actually surprised. I just want to give him some guidance. I usually where a sundress and I am good. Dress up on formal night.

Help me out.

Nice shorts on non gala nights is fine.

My flops are Coach! :D

I'm with ya. I'm on vacation, getting a bit dressed up for elegant nights is what I do. Slacks, and jacket but the others...whatever I feel like wearing from jeans and polo to cargo shorts and Hawaiian shirts...If I've been in port all day and tired...gonna be casual.

Help me out.

My point is the Restaurant manager decides what is appropriate and if you are too casual you risk the embarrassment of being turned away.

IMO it is always best to wear trousers and shirt in the restaurant and you can always go back to your cabin after dinner and change into more casual clothes.

Regular nights I wear tan dockers and a button down shirt. On Cruise Elegant nights I wear a tux because I bought it and it's the only time I get any use out of it. I have a black, blue and silver vest and tie so it depends on what DW is wearing as to which ones I use. One for one night, a different set for the second night.

We normally cruise either a seven or eight day cruise. We have one booked for five days and I don't plan on taking it then. I'll just wear dockers and button down collared shirt with a tie.

Out of respect to other passengers, wear what you would to a fine dining restaurant. No shorts, no denim. Leather shoes, slacks, collared shirt or polo. Oh, and remove your hat at the table like your mother taught you. If you to want to wear casual go the buffet. Same food in a casual atmosphere. Formal nights, tux, suit, or at least jacket & tie...again the buffet is always a casual choice. My last European cruise 98% wore tuxs on Formal nights. On a Caribbean cruise mostly suits and sports jackets...but always a tie.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Out of respect to other passengers, wear what you would to a fine dining restaurant. No shorts, no denim. Leather shoes, slacks, collared shirt or polo. Oh, and remove your hat at the table like your mother taught you. If you to want to wear casual go the buffet. Same food in a casual atmosphere. Formal nights, tux, suit, or at least jacket & tie...again the buffet is always a casual choice. My last European cruise 98% wore tuxs on Formal nights. On a Caribbean cruise mostly suits and sports jackets...but always a tie.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If I were eating in a fine dining restaurant I would agree but I don't put CCL's MDRs in that category. It's mainstream dining on a mainstream line. As long as someone is complying with CCL's dress code all is good (and even if they aren't it doesn't affect me).

IMO it is always best to wear trousers and shirt in the restaurant and you can always go back to your cabin after dinner and change into more casual clothes.

On casual nights shorts are permitted and well within the printed guidelines we all knew when we stepped aboard. Some might not like it, but many cruise Carnival for that very reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Your post is chocked full of opinion vs facts and what Carnival cruisers actually do.

Appreciate mere hours before dinner several men have descended a few steps, roared like Tarzan and danced in the laps of judges in their attempt to win a plastic ship on a stick. What you described is on Pollyanna Cruise Line, not the floating funnel folks. You knew that...

We've made ten of our thirty-three cruises on Carnival in the past three years and no passenger manifest does what you describe.

Read the guidelines. People do that. Don't like it? Step up in class of cruise line.

Your post is chocked full of opinion vs facts and what Carnival cruisers actually do.

Appreciate mere hours before dinner several men have descended a few steps, roared like Tarzan and danced in the laps of judges in their attempt to win a plastic ship on a stick. What you described is on Pollyanna Cruise Line, not the floating funnel folks. You knew that...

We've made ten of our thirty-three cruises on Carnival in the past three years and no passenger manifest does what you describe.

Read the guidelines. People do that. Don't like it? Step up in class of cruise line.

I think most of us already have.

I think most of us already have.

Yet you return to a Carnival board and post opinions vs facts. If you've moved on from Carnival rent the Disney classic Frozen. Put on your tux and "let it go."

Yet you return to a Carnival board and post opinions vs facts. If you've moved on from Carnival rent the Disney classic Frozen. Put on your tux and "let it go."

Actually i wouldn't get on Carnival if it was free.

I am Elite on Princess, Atlantic on P&O which are Carnival brands with more taste.