Balcony worth it?

riot23

We're looking into a 11-night Northern Europe sailing on the Regal Princess. Originally we were going to book an interior stateroom but have considered a regular balcony. I know value is subjective, but we would be getting a complimentary beverage package with a balcony (which is of some value to us, but not essential) and i t would be nice to have the window as opposed to the interior. Is an upgrade to a balcony really worth the increase in price? Is it significantly more space?

We're looking into a 11-night Northern Europe sailing on the Regal Princess. Originally we were going to book an interior stateroom but have considered a regular balcony. I know value is subjective, but we would be getting a complimentary beverage package with a balcony (which is of some value to us, but not essential) and i t would be nice to have the window as opposed to the interior. Is an upgrade to a balcony really worth the increase in price? Is it significantly more space?

I have never sailed on the Regal before but the cabins on Princess are pretty much standard in size until you get up into the Mini-Suites and above. I think the balcony cabins might give you a little more space but they feel more spacious because of the extra room the balcony provides.

You didn't mention what the 'increase in price' is so hard to determine if it is really worth the extra cost.

For an 11 night cruise, I would upgrade to a balcony if it was $600 total or less. Add in the beverage package, which includes your waters, specialty coffees and sodas as well as wine with dinner and most cocktails throughout the ship ... for us, that might add another couple hundred onto the 'worthiness' of the cost. If you get any claustrophobia, I would definitely consider a balcony. If you are ok with saving the money, then there are always places you can go out on the public decks.

DH and I spend a huge amount of time on the balcony.

No need to search for a chair on the promenade when you have a chair in your own little piece of heaven.

DH always takes his binoculars as he is a boatie and he's always pointing something of interest out to me.

It's nice to have the outside balcony space especially if you come from the cold into a warmer climate!

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

For us about any room is definitely worth it. Room is bigger than the tiny inside rooms. Also you can go out on the balcony and view the scenery anytime you want. Besides if you don't have a balcony you can't join the balcony Club.

Boy this is the question with a different answer every cruise for us. We look at ports, weather, ship activities, price difference, perks and a few other things when choosing a balcony over interior. I like the dark of the interior rooms for sleeping.

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Forums mobile app

Balconies on the Regal and Royal are way too small [emoji17] The only way to sit and use the ottoman is to sit sideways looking at each other. The Mini that we had on the Royal was 2+ feet deeper allowing us to turn our chairs. 737490521e39d27626bd82f4af5f961b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My thought is "yes" it's worth the extra money. My cruising mates and I enjoy the natural light a balcony cabin provides, plus we enjoy spending time on the balcony after returning from excursions. We love to watch the ship dock and leave port from our balcony. My first cruise was in an interior cabin. The second cruise was in a balcony cabin and I knew I'd never return to an interior cabin.

We had an inside cabin for the itinerary and was fine. On a port-intensive cruise the balcony isn't valuable. The sailing is not that scenic so not much to miss there. Whether the beverage package is worthwhile depends on you. If your drink budget is bigger than the cost of an upgrade then go for it. The cabin is 15 square feet bigger which does give a bit of sitting area (no couch unless you get a deluxe balcony).

This is one of those questions that no one can answer for you. What does worth it mean? It's a different answer for everyone. My DW and I would never cruise if it meant we had to use an inside cabin. We'd rather cruise only once every five years if that's the only way we could afford a balcony cabin. Whereas others would rather cruise more frequently and use inside cabins to do so. No right or wrong opinion here. Just different priorities.

We were on the Regal Princess around the Baltic, and I especially chose an interior because I like it *dark* to sleep and I knew that summer that far north would have very early sunrises and very late sunsets and it seemed pointless to get a view if we just spent all our time blocking it out. (I'm on a British Isles cruise this summer and have selected an interior again.)

We were almost never in our room -- with such a port-heavy itinerary, we spent almost all of our time off the ship. The small amount of time we were on the ship and wanted to sit out by the sea, we had zero problem finding comfy deck chairs (much more comfy than those tiny balcony chairs) in whatever location we chose. It often felt like the ship was half empty, although it was July.

So we had no regrets. (The beverage package wouldn't have lured us either. We spent less than $100 total -- for both of us -- over 11 days on drinks on board ship.)

We took this cruise last year. YES! . I love to hear the waves lapping on the side as you glide thru. One night, I HIGHLY recommend stepping onto the balcony in the wee hours when it's still twilight because you are so far north. Sit down on the balcony and just breath in the majesty of the sea and the coolness of the air. Hold your wife's hand and just relax. Sleep with the curtains open one night just to see it. We took a fjord cruise one day and it was gorgeous. Realize you will definitely need a jacket on the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I won't sail in anything less than a balcony...the cabin isn't usually larger, but the balcony gives you someplace else "to be"...plus, a view whenever you want, fresh air whenever you want, no matter how you're dressed or if you haven't put on makeup...for me, it's worth it. Not everyone feels the same though...my mom thinks a balcony is a total waste of money! To each his own!

Be careful, many years ago I surprised my wife with a balcony and now there is no going back. Do not know your ship but they tend to make the stateroom look larger, and we use it for quite time drinks and views.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Having done this itinerary twice, I will echo what some others have said and say that your decision should be influenced by the time of year you are going. I have been on both the first and last sailings of this itinerary: this year, at the beginning, it was too cold to enjoy the balcony, while a few years ago when I went at the end, half of the cruise was quite rainy. I imagine that itineraries in June, July, and early August will be better for balcony enjoyment.

You might also want to consider what side of the ship you will be on. Typically, when docked, the starboard side faces shore while the port faces the sea. Not every terminal is nice to look at, but in Oslo being on the starboard side will give you a view of the city and Akershus Fortress. Elsewhere, it will give you a view of Old Tallinn and the scenery in Nynashamn.

Worth it is a subjective question, but it's really hard to sell wifey on a cruise without a balcony. We usually have breakfast there as the ship sails into port, sneak a little sexy good time there ( even more important now that we have a kid) and just sit and watch the world go by in a sea day. For me, since I have to wait a considerable amount of time for her to get ready for dinner sometimes, it's also a private bar with a view while waiting.

If you've never had one, you may never go back. No doubt it adds some cost, but it's a great luxury.

NO WAY !!!!!!! They want too much $$$ for a balcony with less storage them the sideway interiors. The balconies are very small.

We cruised the Baltic last year and the balcony added a wonderful dimension - particularly as we were sailing back/under that HUGE bridge as we approached Denmark with their masses of windmills (such an interesting view and there I was in my robe and soggy hair enjoying the moment). I came down with a bug on the last 2 days of the cruise and would have missed so much if I hadn't been able to see outside or sit on the balcony while DH was roaming the ship.

Balconies on the Regal and Royal are way too small [emoji17] The only way to sit and use the ottoman is to sit sideways looking at each other. The Mini that we had on the Royal was 2+ feet deeper allowing us to turn our chairs. 737490521e39d27626bd82f4af5f961b.jpg

If you select a balcony don't take this one in the photo it looks Awful!!!

Tony