Pets on cruises?

which makes this a somewhat insulting comment since the only dog allowed on any ship in public areas is a Service Dog. And yes I know there are some fakers out there who do bring their pets on board but the vast majority of the Dogs you see on board a passenger vessel are legitimate and very well-trained Service Animals. They won't be eating in the Dining Room, in fact you probably would not notice them; and they will not be misbehaving. They will be working and performing the tasks they were trained to do.

It was not insulting at all. This thread was about allowing ALL pets on cruise ships, and not about allowing legitimate service animals - which are not pets in the normal sense. My opinion of the idea of turning the ship into a modern Noah's Ark to satisfy people's separation anxiety from their pets is not favorable. That was the context of the pillow comment. :D

Of course people must leave their pets at home. At first someone just has to bring their little dog. Then, why not a big one. Then others want to bring their pets too. A few Birds or even a pot bellied pig. I am sure the owners could tell us how friendly and well behaved they are. Cruises are for humans [ of all ages ], and GENUINE service dogs.

Sandra

We are dog lovers. We would never ever want to bring our dogs on a cruise. We don't take them shopping,to the local fair or to a restaurant.

We have found a kennel that the dogs seem to love going to. The dogs are well looked after. It seems like a vacation to them. In my opinion, animals do not belong on a cruise ship.

The concern that a prior passenger brought Fluffy or Fido into the cabin is why I always double check to make sure that I have my Epi Pen with me.

If the overworked, on turn around day, cabin steward failed to deep clean the cabin and I entered it that cabin I stand the chance of a very measurable cruise, even could end up with a swollen throat.

So entitled pet owners who want to sneak their little "fur baby" on ship with fake service animal papers will not get my vote.

Bob

We also traveled in an RV for years with our pup.

I think I've heard that's one of the number#1 reasons folks choose RV travel.. so they can take their pet along with them. Cruising is just not suitable for pets... what's next .. someone's Pot Belly Pig pet?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

;pHere's an idea...

Perhaps one of the major cruise corporations, eg. RCCL or Carnival, which operate other lines besides their stock name, could build a new ship and call it Noah's Ark. There could be separate decks for pedigreed pets, mutts, unregistered cats, exotic animals, reptiles, small rodents such as gerbils, etc. Instead of a pool, there would be a dog park ala Celebrity's Lawn Club except it would cover all upper deck space. Cabins could be designed with the input of veterinarians & the ASPCA to be certain that one's pet is accommodated adequately along with its humans, of course. Dining venues could be assigned on the basis of table-fed pets vs. those who eat pet food. Entertainment could consist of cute pet tricks and doggie dressup night. These are just a few of my ideas, but I am sure you all could come up with more.

I think that Noah's Ark would be a huge moneymaker for any cruiseline daring to add it to their fleet!

;pHere's an idea...

Perhaps one of the major cruise corporations, eg. RCCL or Carnival, which operate other lines besides their stock name, could build a new ship and call it Noah's Ark. There could be separate decks for pedigreed pets, mutts, unregistered cats, exotic animals, reptiles, small rodents such as gerbils, etc. Instead of a pool, there would be a dog park ala Celebrity's Lawn Club except it would cover all upper deck space. Cabins could be designed with the input of veterinarians & the ASPCA to be certain that one's pet is accommodated adequately along with its humans, of course. Dining venues could be assigned on the basis of table-fed pets vs. those who eat pet food. Entertainment could consist of cute pet tricks and doggie dressup night. These are just a few of my ideas, but I am sure you all could come up with more.

I think that Noah's Ark would be a huge moneymaker for any cruiseline daring to add it to their fleet!

Great idea!

The only thing I would change is that I'd just remodel a few of the older ships instead of building a new one. Why sell them off to the smaller cruise lines? Just repurpose them. The whole new line could be called Noah’s Ark and they could charge $500 per night of insides and $5,000 per night for suites. Pet massages and doggie art auctions, Kitty Cat Karaoke and rental tux's for your Turtle ..... I see $$$$$$

Hey, nothing's too good for my Fluffy! :D

Edited by DirtyDawg

Poor analogy. Children are humans - and we were all children once. Dogs (and other pets) are animals. We don't need them to be socialized with us in public venues. Leave them at home.

Ditto, and when was the last time a child mauled a person, pooped on the floor in the middle of the dining room, left handfuls of fur in a pool, jumped up and snagged a stranger's formal attire or caused allergies and non-stop barking? Not to mention running off and jumping over tables, knocking down items and even jumping overboard. A loose and afraid dog can cause a world of damage.

My own child was bit by someone's "well-behaved small dog" at a pet friendly outdoor diner once. It was even on a leash.

Ditto, and when was the last time a child mauled a person, pooped on the floor in the middle of the dining room, left handfuls of fur in a pool, jumped up and snagged a stranger's formal attire or caused allergies and non-stop barking? Not to mention running off and jumping over tables, knocking down items and even jumping overboard. A loose and afraid dog can cause a world of damage.

My own child was bit by someone's "well-behaved small dog" at a pet friendly outdoor diner once. It was even on a leash.

WOW, I guessed I missed all those threads about dogs jumping off cruise ships and running amock in the MDR.:confused:

Wow, this thread is a little out of hand considering the OP was simply asking if anybody knew of a cruise that allowed pets.

Answer--yes, Cunard's QM2. I have researched the same thing and found the same answer. They only allow small dogs so I still can't take mine :(

QM2 really does not allow pets. Pet dogs are carried in the kennel area - not in passenger cabins, so it is not a matter of their allowing passengers to cruise with pets.

Wow, this thread is a little out of hand considering the OP was simply asking if anybody knew of a cruise that allowed pets.

I thought it got out of hand because of comments like these........

I have to tolerate completely terrible and inappropriate behavior from your children just because they are little humans? Maybe teach them manners just like I do with my dogs.

:rolleyes:

I'd love to bring Sochi, our 6 year old Ragdoll along with us because she's a very social animal. She runs to the door to see who's there, then makes sure everyone has their share of her hair on their pant legs before retiring to her basket in the corner to watch everyone. I'm not sure the passengers on the cruise would be as forgiving of the long beige cat hair on their clothing as we are, so she stays home with our house/cat sitter while we cruise.

To answer the OP's question, as far as I know, Cunard is the only line that allows a few animals to travel on the ship, and they don't travel in your cabin.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

The only pet that we think should be on a cruise is a pet rock.

Pets are not people. We love dogs but would never, ever consider bringing one on a cruise, let alone in the cabin of an aircraft. Nor any other type of pet. When would it end...birds, snakes, cats,

gerbils, pot belly pigs, dogs....?

When we book a cruise we want a cruise. There is enough of an animal show on deck without the addition of any four legged friends. Some people need to get a healthy dose of reality. It's a cruise, not a local zoo or dog run.

We want a vacation on a cruise ship, not one on Noah's Ark.

Edited by iancal

QM2 really does not allow pets. Pet dogs are carried in the kennel area - not in passenger cabins, so it is not a matter of their allowing passengers to cruise with pets.

Yes, that's allowing pets on board.....which is fortunate for people who need to move pets who can't fly cargo on a plane. Yes, they don't allow pets to accompany their owners.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A perfect example of why pets should NOT be allowed on cruise ships. As the article suggested, the situation with alleged "emotional support" animals has gotten out of hand. Such animals do not require any specialized training, so their temperament or behavior most likely is no different than any other pet.

This is where cruise lines might lose me. Love my dog. He stays home. I'm ok with the RCI corkage fee. Not ok with pets on the Promenade or in the room next door. Not on a ship. Please no

If pets were allowed on cruises would they be allowed in the life boats if it was sinking? I wouldn't have thought so🤔

What would happen to your pet if there was an emergency on board, like a fire? Unless it was a service animal, it might be a danger to the owner and others. Would you be able to leave your pet behind if something did happen on the ship?

In fact does anyone know what happens to service animals during an emergency? Has a space been provided for them? I would genuinely like to know?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Forums mobile app

Now that we have overwhelmingly determined that those cruisers who want to bring their non-service pets with them on a cruise are just barking up the wrong tree ;) can we move on to address another very important question?.......

...Why did that chicken cross the road if it wasn't to board a cruise ship?:confused::confused:

If pets were allowed on cruises would they be allowed in the life boats if it was sinking? I wouldn't have thought so[emoji848]

What would happen to your pet if there was an emergency on board, like a fire? Unless it was a service animal, it might be a danger to the owner and others. Would you be able to leave your pet behind if something did happen on the ship?

In fact does anyone know what happens to service animals during an emergency? Has a space been provided for them? I would genuinely like to know?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Forums mobile app

They do have some canine life jackets available, and I'm sure they put one in the cabin when there's a service dog onboard.

Now that we have overwhelmingly determined that those cruisers who want to bring their non-service pets with them on a cruise are just barking up the wrong tree ;) can we move on to address another very important question?.......

...Why did that chicken cross the road if it wasn't to board a cruise ship?:confused::confused:

Chicken didn't want to get on the ship. It would get eaten, we all know there's no food on a cruise ship.😝😜