Pets on cruises?

Aside from cruise ships, when did it become acceptable to take fluffy into the grocery store? It started out with big box pet stores, then Home Depot, now it's everywhere. These are not service dogs sitting in the kiddo part of the shopping cart.

I've had dogs and cats and would never think to take them shopping.

Sent from my B3-A30 using Forums mobile app

Out of curiosity: how would one attend to a dog's bodily function needs on a cruise ship? No fire hydrants around.

For service dogs, the ship provides a small boxed area (I think it's 15-20 square feet) of sod or mulch. There are dedicated areas on the QM2 for dog defecation/urination, just like kennels on land.

Aside from cruise ships, when did it become acceptable to take fluffy into the grocery store? It started out with big box pet stores, then Home Depot, now it's everywhere. These are not service dogs sitting in the kiddo part of the shopping cart.

I think it's OK that people take their (well-controlled) dogs shopping with them - but not to food stores - it great for socializing the dog and improving its behaviour, teaching it to get along well in different situations and around different people.

Every dog owner believes that their animal is "well behaved". If you or your dog cannot endure separation then you seem to have arrived at your own answer - give up cruising and instead take pet-friendly land vacations. We recently had a post from somebody with the same issue but wanted to know if there were pet-friendly freighters. (There aren't any.)

A cruise involves multiple foreign ports and these countries all have their import restrictions. Even service dogs for the blind cannot leave the ship! There are also problems for people with allergies to pet fur and dander. Cabins that had a pet in them would have to be deep cleaned on turn around day.

QM2 takes dogs and cats but only on transatlantic crossings and only at New York, Southampton, and Hamburg. Cunard has veterinary permits with those countries. The animals stay in kennels and the owners visit them there. There are documentation, chipping, and de-worming requirements that must all be completed within a certain time frame or Fido or Fluffy doesn't sail. The only reason they have kennels is that they are historic to Cunard liners. And their popularity means that the owners have to book at full whack as soon as the new schedule comes out. (FWIW, it's said that the dogs seem to enjoy it but the cats look pissed.)

Edited by BlueRiband

I think it's OK that people take their (well-controlled) dogs shopping with them - but not to food stores - it great for socializing the dog and improving its behaviour, teaching it to get along well in different situations and around different people.

It may be great for the dog but what about the people who are subjected to them? Not everyone is a dog lover and many have a genuine fear and anxiety

I was just in AAA getting passport picture. One couple had a huge black lab with them , a pet. Believe me the other customers were not happy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It may be great for the dog but what about the people who are subjected to them? Not everyone is a dog lover and many have a genuine fear and anxiety

I was just in AAA getting passport picture. One couple had a huge black lab with them , a pet. Believe me the other customers were not happy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think the same thing could be said about children - not everyone likes to be around them either. If the dog is well controlled, there's no unwanted contact or unruly behaviour. I've seen more bad behaviour from children than kids.

Why OK for one establishment and not another? How are you deciding where its OK to draw the line? Saw a table of four at an outside dining venue a few days ago and all four had their dogs with them. Really? Why is it OK to have them next to me while I'm trying to enjoy a meal? And someone's opinion of well behaved may be a nuisance to others. And since when is it a good thing to socialize a dog so that they get along well in different situations? Sorry, but leave them at home - I don't need someone else's dog learning how to socialize with me! And as I said before, I am a dog lover.

It isn't my responsibility to have to endure someone's dog so they can be "socialized" and improve it's behavior. There are dog training schools for that purpose. It should NOT be a part of my shopping visit. Keep Fido home where it belongs.

This trend of bringing dogs everywhere is annoying - and extremely selfish of the dog owners.

Why OK for one establishment and not another? How are you deciding where its OK to draw the line?

Food safety.....and I agree that they shouldn't be in restaurants' eating areas either. If you eat in a public park (like a hotdog stand), you take your chances, but I don't believe dogs belong on restaurant patios either.

It isn't my responsibility to have to endure someone's dog so they can be "socialized" and improve it's behavior. There are dog training schools for that purpose. It should NOT be a part of my shopping visit. Keep Fido home where it belongs.

This trend of bringing dogs everywhere is annoying - and extremely selfish of the dog owners.

I feel the same way about children. Seriously. I don't want to be subjected to their screeching demands, kicking legs, and sticky fingers either, just so parents can "socialize" them to restaurants, movie theaters, and grocery stores.

I feel the same way about children. Seriously. I don't want to be subjected to their screeching demands, kicking legs, and sticky fingers either, just so parents can "socialize" them to restaurants, movie theaters, and grocery stores.

Poor analogy. Children are humans - and we were all children once. Dogs (and other pets) are animals. We don't need them to be socialized with us in public venues. Leave them at home.

I feel the same way about old people. Why do people insist on bringing their elderly parents on a cruise?? Seriously, I don't want to be subjected to their screeching demands, their walkers clogging up the hallways, their snoring during evening shows, their causing traffic jams in the buffet, and their hogging of all the elevators, just so the kids can "socialize" them.:rolleyes:

And I feel the same way about posters who post comments like yours. :eek:

This is how I feel too. Why is your dog with you inside of Vons? You seriously can't be without him long enough to buy food? Or nails? I think it is disgusting.

We were on a cruise once when before we had even left port we were standing on our balcony enjoying watching them load luggage etc. Then I hear it. A yapper dog. Yap Yap Yap Yap. I called customer service desk and asked when did they start allowing pets on board because i haven't had a moments peace since I boarded because of a dog above me continually barking? I asked if I was really expected to endure yapping my entire cruise? The yapping stopped shortly after and never heard it again that cruise. I'm hoping passenger and pet were removed.

This is how I feel too. Why is your dog with you inside of Vons? You seriously can't be without him long enough to buy food? Or nails? I think it is disgusting.

We were on a cruise once when before we had even left port we were standing on our balcony enjoying watching them load luggage etc. Then I hear it. A yapper dog. Yap Yap Yap Yap. I called customer service desk and asked when did they start allowing pets on board because i haven't had a moments peace since I boarded because of a dog above me continually barking? I asked if I was really expected to endure yapping my entire cruise? The yapping stopped shortly after and never heard it again that cruise. I'm hoping passenger and pet were removed.

Maybe a seagull found a convenient meal?

Wow, this thread is a little out of hand considering the OP was simply asking if anybody knew of a cruise that allowed pets.

Answer--yes, Cunard's QM2. I have researched the same thing and found the same answer. They only allow small dogs so I still can't take mine :(

Yes, we love our dogs and treat them like family and take them everywhere that it is allowed. We certainly wouldn't take them where they are not allowed or try to get away with something like pretending they are service dogs or anything like that. But, if they are allowed--such as in Home Depot--sometimes we take them. As a treat. And they are behaved, and if people don't like it, you can take it up with Home Depot who clearly states that well-behaved dogs on leashes are allowed. So does Lowe's.

We take more land vacations than cruises simply so we can plan trips with the dogs. Sometimes we cruise and hire a dog sitter. It's really pretty simple. It's about what our priorities are, and our priorities are to spend time as a family.

PS--We don't have kids and I feel the same was as some of the other posters. It's not a bad analogy at all. I have to tolerate completely terrible and inappropriate behavior from your children just because they are little humans? Maybe teach them manners just like I do with my dogs.

We have 3 very small, very spoiled little rescues. We absolutely hate leaving them when we cruise, but we know they would be miserable on a cruise ship. We would be leaving them alone in a strange environment (the cabin). We have a cruise planned later this month and it may be the last one for us for a while. The lady that keeps them is moving across the country. They love her and I know she loves on them and spoils them while we are gone, but I don't know anyone else I trust to do this...oh, and FYI, our babies smell better than a lot of the cruisers. It just wouldn't be a thrill for them to be on the ship. They would hate it.

Most people learn at a early age that certain activities do not go well together - it is safe to assume that by age 4 most children know that you really cannot eat an ice cream cone while swimming. It is unfortunate that a number of older people have yet to come to terms with the fact that pets and cruises are similarly incompatible.

Out of curiosity: how would one attend to a dog's bodily function needs on a cruise ship? No fire hydrants around.

as mentioned before Service Dogs are provided a box built by the maintenance department filled with sod or chips of some kind...usually on the owners balcony or an out of the way place near their cabin. The Charlotte Airport does by the way have a really nice artificial grass area inside the terminal with a fire hydrant in the middle of it!

Which should be on the owner's pillow' date=' IMHO. ;p[/quote']

which makes this a somewhat insulting comment since the only dog allowed on any ship in public areas is a Service Dog. And yes I know there are some fakers out there who do bring their pets on board but the vast majority of the Dogs you see on board a passenger vessel are legitimate and very well-trained Service Animals. They won't be eating in the Dining Room, in fact you probably would not notice them; and they will not be misbehaving. They will be working and performing the tasks they were trained to do.

I am with SantFeFan on this one. Leave the pets (not "fur babies", creepiest term to come into existence, just stop it) at home where they belong. Your desire to "socialize" your animal is your problem and not something strangers should have to be subjected to.

We have two dogs at home who we absolutely adore, but we also realize that not everyone likes dogs nor should they have to deal with mine just because I may lack the ability to function without them (which I do not).