Rash from solarium pool or hot tub on Equinox July 2nd sailing

terrybiz

Hi All, we were on this sailing and I seem to have broken out with brown reddish bumps. I didn't have them before the cruise and when I got home I've been breaking out with these. I went to the solarium pool and hot tub almost every morning, Just wanted to know if anyone else have this issue

Hi All, we were on this sailing and I seem to have broken out with brown reddish bumps. I didn't have them before the cruise and when I got home I've been breaking out with these. I went to the solarium pool and hot tub almost every morning, Just wanted to know if anyone else have this issue

Those hot tubs are full of germs because people pee in them especially the young ones.

Have you consulted a doctor,perhaps a dermatologist ?

The rash could be caused by germs in the pool/hot tub or it may be a reaction to the chemicals to clean them.

Did you use different soap or lotion that may have caused this reaction ?

A doctor could help determine the cause of the rash and order medication to help you deal with it.

Did you use the Celebrity soap/shampoo/conditioner/shower gel or bring your own from home? Could it be a reaction to the detergent used on the sheets? Could it be something you ate? There's really no way to tell if it was from the Solarium, the hot tub, or something entirely different,

There is something called hot tub folliculitis and it is often caused by bacteria in hot tubs. It's inflammation of the hair follicles on your body.

It's not uncommon and can be cured with a topical antibiotic.

Go see the dermatologist but I'm sure this is what it is based on what you have said. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A few cruises ago I developed a itching, hadn't been in the pool or hot tub & had brought my own shower gel, shampoo, ect,. I told the cabin steward about it and he got sheets that had't had softener on them, end of problem. That was our 15th cruise on X and for some unknown reason my body reacted to the sheets!

I suggest you post this on the roll call for your cruise. Some cruisers from your cruise may still be looking at that thread,

There is something called hot tub folliculitis and it is often caused by bacteria in hot tubs. It's inflammation of the hair follicles on your body.

It's not uncommon and can be cured with a topical antibiotic.

Go see the dermatologist but I'm sure this is what it is based on what you have said. Good luck!

Maybe you can look this up on Google images and see If it looks like what you have. Wishing you the best of luck.

Hot tub folliculitis. Essentially the result of bacteria in the hair follicles. You won't necessarily find others who have the same reaction as some ppl will respond differently, the degree of exposure is likely different, etc. This is not uncommon in public pools/hot tubs/etc. Showering immediately after use may help reduce exposure in the future.

Thank you all for the kind responses, I have an appointment with a dermatologist. I was just wondering if anyone else have this issue in the past. I will post on my roll call, thanks for the suggestion.

We winter in Florida and I used to join my wife in water aerobics. Two years ago I started getting what I thought was a rash on my chest and then it started to get all over my upper body. I also power walked 4 miles a day and sweat a lot. The bumps looked just like insect bites and itched something awful. Went to a dermatologist and she was stumped and without me spending quite a lot on a biopsy she gave me a prescription for some ointment which helped.

Determined to get to the bottom of it I discontinued all activity for 2 weeks and the rash went away then resumed the pool and no walks and it returned.

It was the pool. Not sure what they use but some form of chlorine. I learned one other person in the community had the same problem.

I had done quite a bit of reading on the internet but had never come across someone who had the same problem from the pool. So much for my sleuthing skills as after determining it was the pool and searching for a remedy I came across others that also got a rash fro the chemicals, but it does seem rare.

http://mddk.com/chlorine-rash.html

I had this problem after a very lukewarm hot tub on Oasis of the Seas. I had a small cut on my ankle and the rash only affected that ankle. A topical steroid ointment fixed it right up.

Those hot tubs are full of germs because people pee in them especially the young ones.

Urine is actually sanitary - you could drink it if you had to (yuk, I know). That's not to say hot tubs are sanitary. You are more likely to encounter germs coming from another orifice not to be named. Or a variety of who knows what.

I had something similar years ago but it turned out to be from the sun. It was mid-winter, I am very fair-skinned, and when I went on a cruise I developed the rash from the sudden intense sun exposure (that was before I lived on sunscreen).

OP, good idea to go on your roll call and also see the doc. But chances are it is nothing wrong with the hot tub, just an individual reaction.

I had something similar years ago but it turned out to be from the sun. It was mid-winter, I am very fair-skinned, and when I went on a cruise I developed the rash from the sudden intense sun exposure (that was before I lived on sunscreen).

I live in Florida and this happens to me. We're not usually in the pool from Nov. to March. However, the last couple of years I get a rash the first couple of times I go out into the sun. I have self-diagnosed myself that it's from the sun. It goes away after a week or so.

My son and I had the same symptoms after using a friend's hot tub on New Year's Eve---good luck finding a doctor on New Year's Day. It comes from bacteria that form if the tub's chemical levels are too low.

We winter in Florida and I used to join my wife in water aerobics. Two years ago I started getting what I thought was a rash on my chest and then it started to get all over my upper body. I also power walked 4 miles a day and sweat a lot. The bumps looked just like insect bites and itched something awful. Went to a dermatologist and she was stumped and without me spending quite a lot on a biopsy she gave me a prescription for some ointment which helped.

Determined to get to the bottom of it I discontinued all activity for 2 weeks and the rash went away then resumed the pool and no walks and it returned.

It was the pool. Not sure what they use but some form of chlorine. I learned one other person in the community had the same problem.

I had done quite a bit of reading on the internet but had never come across someone who had the same problem from the pool. So much for my sleuthing skills as after determining it was the pool and searching for a remedy I came across others that also got a rash fro the chemicals, but it does seem rare.

http://mddk.com/chlorine-rash.html

Thanks for posting this - people don't realize just how awful this can be. I started getting rashes from my own hot tub - blamed the hubby for not keeping it clean, went to dermatologist for treatment. Over the years this has gotten to be so bad, that i do not go in hot tubs anymore, (real shame since it was my one big relaxation). But honestly, the rashes had become so frequent, so severe, almost like shingles - I was just raw! and going on steroids each time to aleviate the problem was not a good idea. So, if this is you, just try to avoid the hot tubs - or, you can shower first, stay only 15 mins,and then shower promptly and change into clean clothes! good luck.....

Interesting - this forum seems to have changed from a cruising forum to a Dear Doctor medical forum. I wish that individuals who had a personal issue would try to get it resolved before coming to open forums to discuss their problems. The OP's issue may have nothing to do with cruising and hot tubs on ships at all

Urine is actually sanitary - you could drink it if you had to (yuk, I know). That's not to say hot tubs are sanitary. You are more likely to encounter germs coming from another orifice not to be named. Or a variety of who knows what.

OP, good idea to go on your roll call and also see the doc. But chances are it is nothing wrong with the hot tub, just an individual reaction.

I have no idea where you got the idea urine is sanitary, this just is not true.

Some information dealing with the topic:

https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/pdf/swimming/resources/pseudomonas-factsheet_hot_tub_rash.pdf

Hope this answers some questions and maybe dispel some myths.

Pool and hot tub owner since 1972 and do know that just draining and then shocking a spa or hot tub with chlorine is often not enough to eliminate the source of the problem and may need a more thorough sanitizing procedure.

bosco