Murder on Emerald Princess

Aquahound

I posted about George Smith way back on post # 237 - no comments at that time, so people do forget. I was on Brilliance OTS the sailing before the incident happened and will be on her again next April. I don't care in what cabin it happened.

I remember. I just didn't have anything to say about it. However, I think the line it happened on did a terrible investigation and didn't they leave the wife alone in Turkey? Because of that, I have avoided their line.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not sure why you think they deserve more from Princess - the cruise line was not responsible for the murder or the lockdown. It might be a good PR move on their part, but nothing I would expect them to do.

I agree. The only reason I can see to give passengers 'compensation' (always in the form of a future cruise credit, to be used within a year or 2) would be for a shortened cruise or, as I had, when a natural event like Superstorm Sandy, has us sitting in port for 6 days. Even then, I think that is mostly for 'good will' We still enjoyed all of the services, music, food, entertainment and, were kept safe and sound. In fact, once safe harbored, it was one of the best cruises ever!

People die in cabins all of the time. Fortunately, most aren't murdered but die they do.

Maureen

It would seem that whatever Princess has offered is a goodwill gesture to compensate people for missing Tracy Arm Fjord and most opportunity for tours in Juneau, not because someone died on board. Of course that does happen, but it generally would not completely disrupt a cruise as this incident did. While they don't have to do it, Princess often does provide some level of compensation for missed ports due to weather, etc. Of course it is not the fault of Princess that this horrible event took place and disrupted the cruise, any more than weather issues are their fault, but it does reflect well on them as a company that they would step up and offer some token of compensation to passengers who had to go through something like this on a vacation that most of them had probably been planning for and looking forward to for months. It's a small investment for them to make likely to assure return customers.

It would seem that whatever Princess has offered is a goodwill gesture to compensate people for missing Tracy Arm Fjord and most opportunity for tours in Juneau, not because someone died on board. Of course that does happen, but it generally would not completely disrupt a cruise as this incident did. While they don't have to do it, Princess often does provide some level of compensation for missed ports due to weather, etc. Of course it is not the fault of Princess that this horrible event took place and disrupted the cruise, any more than weather issues are their fault, but it does reflect well on them as a company that they would step up and offer some token of compensation to passengers who had to go through something like this on a vacation that most of them had probably been planning for and looking forward to for months. It's a small investment for them to make likely to assure return customers.

I'm sorry, but other than missing Tracy Arm and Juneau tours, I'm really not sure what the majority of passengers had to go through? Most of them were never even near the crime scene and it sounds like only a few were directly involved. The cruise continued and ended on schedule today.

It wasn't as if an unsolved murder took place on the ship, which would be truly frightening.

Intelligent discussion is helpful. Thoughts and prayers can help you to be a more empathetic person, and perhaps realize that sometimes there is something you can do to help people with problems avoid more serious situations. I disagree that saying "thoughts and prayers" are to make yourself feel good about yourself. They can help you to be a more humble person, and appreciative of the good in your life. And yes, we are booked on the Emerald for October 8, 2017.

They've already been given $150.00 OBC. I'm sure some are demanding more.

We also received Future Cruise Credits equal to 25% of the fare paid for the cruise. Some people may never use them, but I am already starting to plan my cruise for next year knowing that I have a little extra to spend.

Some have questioned whether most people on the cruise were even affected by it. I was not directly involved, didn't see or hear anything, didn't know the people, etc. We missed Tracy Arm and most of our day in Juneau, which didn't matter much to me because I cruise to Alaska every year. However, a friend that came on the trip with us had never been to Alaska before, and she did not get to see a glacier at all. It was a bit disappointing.

Also there's just something disconcerting about being on a cruise where a murder has occurred. I don't feel stressed or traumatized, just a bit disturbed. I happened on our 8th wedding anniversary. I will always remember that.

So many of you have been sitting at home reading about it, and there has been a lot of emotion on this board, about domestic violence, concern for the daughters, etc. You are saddened, prayerful, curious, concerned about traveling on the Emerald in the future and particularly that cabin. Those of us who were on the ship are feeling AT LEAST as emotional as all of you at home.

Personally, I wouldn't have demanded compensation, but Princess stepped up and provided it almost immediately. I feel that it is fair compensation.

We also received Future Cruise Credits equal to 25% of the fare paid for the cruise. Some people may never use them, but I am already starting to plan my cruise for next year knowing that I have a little extra to spend.

Some have questioned whether most people on the cruise were even affected by it. I was not directly involved, didn't see or hear anything, didn't know the people, etc. We missed Tracy Arm and most of our day in Juneau, which didn't matter much to me because I cruise to Alaska every year. However, a friend that came on the trip with us had never been to Alaska before, and she did not get to see a glacier at all. It was a bit disappointing.

Also there's just something disconcerting about being on a cruise where a murder has occurred. I don't feel stressed or traumatized, just a bit disturbed. I happened on our 8th wedding anniversary. I will always remember that.

So many of you have been sitting at home reading about it, and there has been a lot of emotion on this board, about domestic violence, concern for the daughters, etc. You are saddened, prayerful, curious, concerned about traveling on the Emerald in the future and particularly that cabin. Those of us who were on the ship are feeling AT LEAST as emotional as all of you at home.

Personally, I wouldn't have demanded compensation, but Princess stepped up and provided it almost immediately. I feel that it is fair compensation.

Thanks for sharing.

I'm sorry, but other than missing Tracy Arm and Juneau tours, I'm really not sure what the majority of passengers had to go through? Most of them were never even near the crime scene and it sounds like only a few were directly involved. The cruise continued and ended on schedule today.

It wasn't as if an unsolved murder took place on the ship, which would be truly frightening.

I believe my point was that what the passengers went through was a disruption of their long planned vacation. Going to Alaska and missing both your scenic cruising morning and major port day with many wonderful excursion opportunities lost would be very disappointing, especially if it was a once in a lifetime trip to Alaska. As sherryf pointed out, the passengers didn't even get a chance to see any glaciers, a major draw for any Alaska trip. I feel very sorry for those people who spent a great deal of money and didn't get anywhere near the vacation they planned because of the selfish, evil act of a fellow passenger. And even though most of the passengers outside of the area directly adjacent to the stateroom where this happened might not have been directly involved, it most certainly must have affected everyone on board as human beings who knew that in their small onboard community such a horrible thing had happened, shattering a family and leaving three young ladies without a mother or father. Maybe its just me, but that would impact my ability to fully embrace and enjoy the rest of my cruise. As I said, I am not saying Princess was required to offer any compensation for a terrible situation that was fully outside of their control. But that they did is a credit to them as a company that cares about its customers. That's all I meant.

Thanks for sharing.

Have you ever seen Tracy Arm before? It was the most beautiful part of my Alaska trips (I have taken Alaska cruise 4x.).

If not, I encourage you to go there again since you miss it this time.

Also, this tragedy reminds me that every cruiser should consider to by a travel insurance. You never know what might happen on your vacation

I wonder if anything is claimable on typical travel insurance. As a minimum passengers would need to take more annual leave, maybe new airfares and accommodation as well if they want a new cruise.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

Highly unlikely, especially with typical travel insurance. I doubt wanting to take a "do-over" cruise because of missing a portion of sight seeing on a cruise would be reason for filing a claim. But I'm no expert......

I believe my point was that what the passengers went through was a disruption of their long planned vacation. Going to Alaska and missing both your scenic cruising morning and major port day with many wonderful excursion opportunities lost would be very disappointing, especially if it was a once in a lifetime trip to Alaska. As sherryf pointed out, the passengers didn't even get a chance to see any glaciers, a major draw for any Alaska trip. I feel very sorry for those people who spent a great deal of money and didn't get anywhere near the vacation they planned because of the selfish, evil act of a fellow passenger. And even though most of the passengers outside of the area directly adjacent to the stateroom where this happened might not have been directly involved, it most certainly must have affected everyone on board as human beings who knew that in their small onboard community such a horrible thing had happened, shattering a family and leaving three young ladies without a mother or father. Maybe its just me, but that would impact my ability to fully embrace and enjoy the rest of my cruise. As I said, I am not saying Princess was required to offer any compensation for a terrible situation that was fully outside of their control. But that they did is a credit to them as a company that cares about its customers. That's all I meant.

I agree with you. In one of the articles I read, it said that Princess is giving back 25percent of the cruise fare.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Poster sherryf, who was on board the Emerald last week when the tragedy occurred, wrote in a message above:

So, as I understand this, Princess is giving Emerald passengers credits to use on future cruises. - E.B.C.

Poster sherryf, who was on board the Emerald last week when the tragedy occurred, wrote in a message above:

So, as I understand this, Princess is giving Emerald passengers credits to use on future cruises. - E.B.C.

It's a very generous compensation and shows you that Princess isn't just another company driven by the "almighty dollar." Way to go Princess!!! You'll keep getting my business.

Toot-Toot!!!

Have you ever seen Tracy Arm before? It was the most beautiful part of my Alaska trips (I have taken Alaska cruise 4x.).

If not, I encourage you to go there again since you miss it this time.

Also, this tragedy reminds me that every cruiser should consider to by a travel insurance. You never know what might happen on your vacation

We've never been on an Alaska cruise...yet. We have considered an Alaska cruise but haven't decided what month and itinerary to do. Thanks for the info. and will remember you recommendation.

Edited by davekathy

So many things can happen on a ship to disrupt your cruise and sightseeing plans. People jump overboard and the ship spends 8-12 hours looking for the body. They miss the first port - the one you really looked forward to seeing and had big plans for. Well, stuff happens and people need to prepare themselves just in case their dream port didn't pan out. I think Princess did enough to compensate passengers who missed out on seeing a glacier. Princess is giving discounts on next cruises and OBC. They really didn't have to do that. How many ports has anyone missed due to weather making it impossible to go into port? I think we've heard it all on these boards.

I feel sorry for the daughters and for her family. I don't feel sorry for the murderer, justice will be served, as he said "my life is over." Cruise ships are floating cities, crimes take place, we never go out on open decks at night, you never know.

The ladder would be used to access the pull down bed from the ceiling. The ones I have seen are wood and look very sturdy with some bulk to them. Unless things have changed I believe that the sofa has only one pull out bed, maybe someone will have more clarity on this.

I also read that a ladder was the murder weapon.