Used Dishes?

phabric

A few years ago some thoughtful caring fellow passenger slid a tray of used dishes and stuff right up against our cabin door.

As I opened the door I was looking back at the Wife who had asked me a question and I stepped right in the middle of that tray. I ended up with broken glass, food, and liquid on my shoe. Really made my day.

I think about that little adventure every time I see trays sitting on the floor in the hallway.

Bob

That adventure is exactly what happened to us once as well as I previously noted. At first I thought the people in the cabin next door had done this and put their tray of dirty dishes right in front of our door but I realize it was could have been somebody that pushed it in front of our door instead. I must say ... shame on whoever does this. I almost went flying after tripping on somebody else's dirty dishes. Please people, think before acting! If there were no dirty dishes in the hallway, then this would never even happen....leave them in your cabin!!! It is an incident just waiting to happen.

There's an indentation in front of your cabin door that would out of the way of anyone's walking or wheelchair and I put my dishes there. Room service comes around with a trolley and picks up dishes frequently so they don't sit out very long. You are free to decide what works for you. If you're short on counter space you'll probably put your dishes in the hallway out of any ones way in the little indentation.

Except that is where people might have to stand if someone else is coming down the hallway. Or Stewart's cart. Maybe a wheelchair. So now I must back up or stand in your half eaten food.

Agree with leaving them in the cabin. Ifor you have a balcony and food smells I put it on the balcony minus any napkins or whatever could blow off the tray. Our Stewart has always removed them. Sometimes if I see him I will ask him to remove them.

Used dirty dishes shouldn't be put outside the door anywhere, hotel or ship. Most experienced travelers know that. If having them in your hotel room or cabin bothers you, call Room Service to pick them up.

Besides the safety factor, it is a disgusting sight to see someone's garbage sitting outside the door.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Used dirty dishes shouldn't be put outside the door anywhere, hotel or ship. Most experienced travelers know that. If having them in your hotel room or cabin bothers you, call Room Service to pick them up.

Besides the safety factor, it is a disgusting sight to see someone's garbage sitting outside the door.

There are plenty of experienced travelers without a care in the world for others.

When I see them in front of a cabin I just slide them closer against their door so they have to move them when leaving their cabin or step over the tray.

Maybe that'll give them the message that it's not appropriate and they'll call in the future. ;)

My feeling exactly.

Funny I've had room service in hotels, and on ships, that have asked for dishes to be placed outside the room when finished.

We were on the Royal recently and while we always left our dishes neatly stacked in our cabin, it was not unusual to see dishes on the floor in the hallways. What really took the cake, was the pile of dishes we saw on the floor directly in front of the door going into the laundry. Of course we moved them out of the way and let a steward know they were there. Anyone coming out of the laundry with their arms full would never have seen them and could have been injured. Sometimes it boggles my mind how inconsiderate and thoughtless some passengers can be.

I just returned from an RCI Caribbean cruise and when I asked my steward (on day 2) what he wanted me to do with our morning breakfast dishes he asked me to place them outside or on the balcony... Whichever I preferred. The first day I did not do that and when we returned in the afternoon he had only removed dishes I had put trash on, leaving behind a plate with muffins and a 3/4 finished milk. I think it's difficult for them to know whether you'd like to keep certain items.

I do like the idea of calling room service to pick them up and will do so on my next Princess cruise in February.

When I see them in front of a cabin I just slide them closer against their door so they have to move them when leaving their cabin or step over the tray.

Maybe that'll give them the message that it's not appropriate and they'll call in the future. ;)

OMG!! That is so funny because it is exactly the same thing I do. It is my #1 pet peeve on a ship!!:)

Where do you put used dishes from room service/buffet?

Do you leave them in your cabin?

Or, put them in the hall?

I see them in the hall, which can be a hazard. Some leave them in the cabin. For us, I bring them up to buffet & drop them off at a "bus" station. I'm part owner of a catering Co. It's just force of habit for me!

I see them in the hall, which can be a hazard. Some leave them in the cabin. For us, I bring them up to buffet & drop them off at a "bus" station. I'm part owner of a catering Co. It's just force of habit for me!

That's what I do with the dishes on out table after eating. Just drop them at the busing station when finished.

That's because your neighbor didn't want them in front of his door. ;);)

Real nice! Must be the same people who put their dog poo in our trash barrel. Still not sure if I should congratulate them for "cleaning" up after their dog!

Real nice! Must be the same people who put their dog poo in our trash barrel. Still not sure if I should congratulate them for "cleaning" up after their dog!

At least they clean it up. Were we live there a few people who just leave it.

Some day I'll spot them & deliverer it to their door step, for their enjoyment.

Whenever I see trays of dirty dishes in the hallway I am tempted to move them right at the door of the cabin so the occupants step on them when leaving, but, my wife will not let me do it!

Since I'm the one who put the dishes in the alcove in front of my cabin I know it's there so won't step in it. If someone steps in it - must be because they didn't know it was there so it's not theirs and you accomplished a nasty deed on an unsuspecting passenger. Your wife is smart.

I put the plastic cover on it so you'd have to really take a close look to see any food. If you don't want to see the dishes then don't look but I will do things my way and you do things your way. If Princess has a way they wish for us dispose of our dishes then let them print it , perhaps on the page in the note book where you can read the menu or below the menu on the TV screen. Until they state a preference we're free to do what works for us. Do you also subscribe to the pool chair patrol or the fashion police?

I would like to join both the pool chair patrol and the fashion police. Do I get a patch or anything like that?

I think I'll take stuff off of "saved" chairs and put them outside the offender's door, in the hallway, so that people can recognize an offender is in that cabin as they trip over a towel.

Not sure how to weave in the fashion part. Perhaps make anyone improperly dressed wear a dish cover as a hat?

Anyway, it will probably be the same person doing all these wrong things since all of us are perfect!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

I would like to join both the pool chair patrol and the fashion police. Do I get a patch or anything like that?

I think I'll take stuff off of "saved" chairs and put them outside the offender's door, in the hallway, so that people can recognize an offender is in that cabin as they trip over a towel.

Not sure how to weave in the fashion part. Perhaps make anyone improperly dressed wear a dish cover as a hat?

Anyway, it will probably be the same person doing all these wrong things since all of us are perfect!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

May I suggest you just enjoy your cruise and not worry about what others are wearing or sitting or where they put their dishes. You'll have a more pleasant experience. Instead of a special patch you could get something more associated with road rage which wouldn't be pleasant.

There is only one thing that would cause me to be confrontational and that's smoking in a non smoking area where I would have to endure it