Who writes this stuff ????

alanbab

I just read a couple of terribly negative, unhelpful reviews on cruise critic for Azamara Journey. Whilst I appreciate that everyone is entitled to their view this type of unbalanced report is not helpful. I wonder if the contributors spare a thought for people like me who are about to take their very first cruise with Azamara and have paid a good deal of money for their cruise.

Fortunately we have been cruising for the past 24 years and having done our homework very carefully before booking our cruise I am certain that we shall enjoy it. And by the way we shall be in cabin 7095 which is also getting a mention on the cruise critic boards currently!

Looks like both negative reviews were written by the same person. Both user names begin with the same letter, both end in the same three numbers, both became members at the same time, and both wrongly called a cruise to Iceland as one to the Baltic Sea. That can not be a coincidence.

Some people are not happy with their choice and I agree Iceland is best experienced by car. However it is wrong for someone to post two negative reviews as some kind of a vendetta.

I agree with you Lisa. I just read the two reviews. The person also mentions an "art auction" they found to be insulting. I was under the impression that Azamara didn't do that anymore, certainly not on our cruise on the Journey last November.

Alanbab, I really enjoyed my first (and, so far, only) cruise on Azamara. I hope you will too. Cheers.

Cynthia,

UNFORTUNATELY, the art auctions are back. Not Park West but another equally questionable art salesman. He was on the Arctic Norway cruise immediately preceding the Iceland cruise which was reviewed. I believe on the 15 night Norway cruise there may have been two events, but the "art" was displayed throughout the ship. I can't believe people buy, but if it helps keep Azamara profitable I can ignore the minimal inconvience.

I agree, seems likely they are by the same person, or 2 friends.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Two friends who both thought the North Atlantic was the Baltic Sea. No wonder they didn't like the cruise. They didn't know where they were!:o

Cynthia,

UNFORTUNATELY, the art auctions are back. Not Park West but another equally questionable art salesman. He was on the Arctic Norway cruise immediately preceding the Iceland cruise which was reviewed. I believe on the 15 night Norway cruise there may have been two events, but the "art" was displayed throughout the ship. I can't believe people buy, but if it helps keep Azamara profitable I can ignore the minimal inconvience.

I agree, but it was nice not to have it. So sorry to hear this. :( I didn't mind the antique thing at all because it was so low key.

I agree that this is the same unhappy person posting 2 reviews that are very similar.

I also read CC reviews before I take a cruse line for the first time, of if I have not taken the line in a long time. I have learned to ignore extremely negative reviews, just like I ignore the extremely positive ones. Instead I look for some balance to get an idea of what works well on board, and where some issue areas lie.

Alanbab: No worries about your first AZ experience. While it will probably not be 100% perfect, I'm rather sure you will be well taken care of and have a lovely time. The high points for me are the beauty of the ship, the good food, the accessibility of the staff, but most of all, the extremely sociable passengers. Happy sailing!

I've read the reviews in question and as a new-to-Azamara cruiser I find them basic and lacking substance.

I take most reviews, both positive and negative, with a grain of salt - not these. I'll leave them on the table with the salt shaker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The so called art was a few pieces hanging in the living room and neat his desk. the iceland cruise had a convention of the "OLD' Park West group that did private actions. i am guessing that group book the cruise before they left. around 100 people. they took over one restaurant two nights so the rest of us could to eat there.

i always thought i was in the North Sea most nights. .my cell phone tell me where i took the pictures.

I've read the reviews in question and as a new-to-Azamara cruiser I find them basic and lacking substance.

I take most reviews, both positive and negative, with a grain of salt - not these. I'll leave them on the table with the salt shaker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smart choice. These reviews really do lack substance, specificity.

A few months ago CC management gave us, the cruise lines, the ability to respond to cruise reviews, if we want to respond.

You may have noticed approximately once a week I turn my attention to those reviews that have come in. I share new or interesting comments with the appropriate ship staff or internal department. And I typically respond with a thank you and a comment or two :halo:

I wish there was a way to click on the reviewer's name to see their profile, past posts and past reviews. I try to do as much research as possible.

As for the reviewer who may (or may not) have posted two negatives reviews under different names, if she/they are real, then I am sad they experienced a holiday that did not match their expectations.

That is where a good TA is so valuable, as well as these CC forums where curious cruisers can read along or ask questions to see if Azamara is the right line for them.

Edited by BBMacLaird

I read the review in question as well. Being new to Azamara I am curious how the art auction would have interfered with the reviewers cruise. I was on a RC cruise on the Oasis last Feb and I would hear/see announcements regarding the auction but it didn't interfere in any way. So just curious what make it so intrusive on Azamara? Thanks

I read the review in question as well. Being new to Azamara I am curious how the art auction would have interfered with the reviewers cruise. I was on a RC cruise on the Oasis last Feb and I would hear/see announcements regarding the auction but it didn't interfere in any way. So just cuwhat make it so intrusive on Azamara? Thanks

Possibly the space it takes up in one of the public areas on a smaller ship

Edited by Bloodaxe
Change

A few months ago CC management gave us, the cruise lines, the ability to respond to cruise reviews, if we want to respond.

You may have noticed approximately once a week I turn my attention to those reviews that have come in. I share new or interesting comments with the appropriate ship staff or internal department. And I typically respond with a thank you and a comment or two :halo:

I wish there was a way to click on the reviewer's name to see their profile, past posts and past reviews. I try to do as much research as possible.

As for the reviewer who may (or may not) have posted two negatives reviews under different names, if she/they are real, then I am sad they experienced a holiday that did not match their expectations.

That is where a good TA is so valuable, as well as these CC forums where curious cruisers can read along or ask questions to see if Azamara is the right line for them.

I wouldn't get all worked up over a review. I will go to one line in the second review.

I learned that cruises are not a good way to see places...you only see a glimpse. Azamara was okay.

What does that tell you? This person was really writing a review about taking a cruise as a means of a vacation. It was probably this couple's first cruise. In fact, they had just joined Cruise Critic and it was their first review. Others should take it with a grain of salt.

I am not so sure that Azamara and small ship cruising is for everyone. In fact, I am about to pull the trigger on an Azamara cruise to Southeast Asia and question whether I would be better off doing a similar itinerary on a Celebrity M Class ship. It is for 2019 and the week after our 25th anniversary and I thought doing an Azamara cruise would be a great way for my wife and I to celebrate, but I am a bit nervous and it just like the OP is. It has nothing to do with bad reviews by first time cruisers and more to do with going on a cruise ship with only 700 passengers. We loved 2,000 and have enjoyed the larger ships as well.

I am not so sure that Azamara and small ship cruising is for everyone. In fact, I am about to pull the trigger on an Azamara cruise to Southeast Asia and question whether I would be better off doing a similar itinerary on a Celebrity M Class ship. It is for 2019 and the week after our 25th anniversary and I thought doing an Azamara cruise would be a great way for my wife and I to celebrate, but I am a bit nervous and it just like the OP is. It has nothing to do with bad reviews by first time cruisers and more to do with going on a cruise ship with only 700 passengers. We loved 2,000 and have enjoyed the larger ships as well.

As you may know, one big plus for Azamara is the small ship ability to dock right in a city or nearby. In Southeast Asia, for example, Azamara docks right in Bangkok, while the larger ships are 1-1/2 to 2 hours away depending on traffic. It is the deal maker for us!

I was on a RC cruise on the Oasis last Feb and I would hear/see announcements regarding the auction but it didn't interfere in any way. So just curious what make it so intrusive on Azamara?

Please see the comments from Robin ["ellbon"] above...

I believe she intended to suggest that a Park West group "took over" one of the Specialty Restaurants [no doubt by prior arrangement] on two evenings so as to preclude other guests from dining there...

As you may know, one big plus for Azamara is the small ship ability to dock right in a city or nearby. In Southeast Asia, for example, Azamara docks right in Bangkok, while the larger ships are 1-1/2 to 2 hours away depending on traffic. It is the deal maker for us!

Thanks, I also noticed Celebrity M Class docks in Phu My, which is close to 2 hours away from Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) while Azamara gets you to the city. Celebrity also has less time and days in ports and one more sea day. You are correct. It's an easy choice for a once in a lifetime trip.

Edited by hubofhockey

After 4 weeks on one of Journey's sister ships owned by Oceania (It was a fabulous cruise!), I thought of moving up to a larger vessel. Actually, we cruised again on even smaller ships by three different lines and each time, it was the itinerary, the high number of unusual small ports and the ability of the ship to dock in town.

It's different for people who vacation for relaxation and entertainment, never mind where the ship is going.

Thanks, I also noticed Celebrity M Class docks in Phu My, which is close to 2 hours away from Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) while Azamara gets you to the city. Celebrity also has less time and days in ports and one more sea day. You are correct. It's an easy choice for a once in a lifetime trip.

It's also fun travelling up the twisty Saigon to get there.

Phil

The art auctions were still going on when I was on Quest last Fall; they took place in the Living Room, and I guess could have been considered intrusive if you really wanted to sit in that exact spot in the LR. I was in there one day, reading a book, while the auction was going on and it did distract me once in a while when an artist I was familiar with was mentioned. In fact, I learned of the death of an artist that my husband and I collected for a while; I need to have some of my pieces appraised to see if they are still worth anything. But the Living Room is large and there were plenty of other places to sit so it certainly didn't cause me any distress.

I was on Journey when the new art auctions were onboard. There was only one auction in the Cabaret Lounge and it did not impact on any other cruising activities.

Frustrating though it is to lose one speciality for a night, the same also happens on some cruises for a dinner for the highest level loyalty cruisers. If one restaurant is closed they will accommodate serving dishes from both menus in the remaining restaurants.

Thanks for the replies regarding the art auctions. The way I'm wired I don't think this will be an issue for me. If it's going on in a lounge or a restaurant and its time to eat, drink or lounge I'm ok with going somewhere else to do so. But we are all wired differently. I've been to several resorts where one venue or another would be closed for a private event and many people I encountered were really upset as they felt they weren't getting their monies worth since it wasn't available to them at the time they wanted it. I would usually say(if we were becoming travel friends) that they should just do what I do. Go to a different venue and eat and drink twice as much as I would have at the closed venue then I'm getting double my moneys worth.(Don't always keep my travel friends long-wonder why)