Removing gratiuities - when to do it

Frontera2

I pay my Cunard fare for 5* service, I then pay an extra service charge for this service, I then on top of this pay an extra 15% service charge on my drinks, with some on CC saying I should further tip those who give good service - given this, how come I still have to get up off my sun bed and fetch a drink from the pool bar myself? (paying 15% for the pleasure of doing so). Is it not time to just include all this nonsense in the price?

I pay my Cunard fare for 5* service, I then pay an extra service charge for this service, I then on top of this pay an extra 15% service charge on my drinks, with some on CC saying I should further tip those who give good service - given this, how come I still have to get up off my sun bed and fetch a drink from the pool bar myself? (paying 15% for the pleasure of doing so). Is it not time to just include all this nonsense in the price?

All I can say is I have never noticed that tipping or not tipping has anything to do with the quality of service rendered and I have never in 50 cruises heard a complaint about staff about tips or lack thereof on any line and no one has chased me off a ship. The only odd thing is that sometimes when we tip or tip extra, the staff member seems to care less although they usually are delighted.

For those that do not peruse the other Carnival Forums

here is a document from poster insanemagnet of P&O Thread which apparently relates to Crew Contract and Pooled Tips for Princess Cruises.

I would imagine that this would be Policy on all ships relating to Carnival.

Although difficult to Police, Interestingly it is expected that Cash given in hand Is to be handed in and pooled .

Crew Wage details Princess, insanemagnet P&O forum .pdf

PG Do not have a Butler and I know for a fact the Concierge are not included in the So called Service charge pool:halo:

Perhaps the room stewards that handle PG cabins look after fewer cabins, and are supposed to spend more time on each one? And the wait staff in PG look after fewer tables?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

First time I've looged on in a couple of weeks (it's been a bit busy) and lo & behold ...... another thread discussing tipping.

Five pages and counting, no prospect whatsoever of any general consensus and even less prospect of Cunard modifying this system which is merely sticker price management dressed up in service based clothing, so that we feel either cheated, munificent, canny or just downright confused.

It's like some repeating, horrible hallucination, in the style of that great movie, Groundhog Day. Please make it stop.

I've been told there was a recent court case in Germany, a gratuity must be truly voluntary, a service charge must be included in the price. I don't know what truly voluntary means and I don't know enough German to follow up. It's my understanding Australia is similar.

On QE in January, I was not happy with the restaurant service and reduced the auto-gratutiy. I then found, the buffet was one of the best I've ever seen. When I attempted to add back the gratuity, I was told special permission was needed, it was too late, and there was no way to tip "The Buffet Team" as a team in cash.

A ridiculous way to treat both loyal customers and loyal employees.

I'm sailing on QM2 across the pond tomorrow, and want to remove the auto gratuities from my account.

Do I have to do this straight away or can it be done at any time before the last night?

( That's not to say I won't tip individual crew members, I just prefer it to be my choice of amount and who to tip ) ( Although being British I find the whole concept of tipping uncomfortable )

So did you manage to get it sorted?

here is a document from poster insanemagnet of P&O Thread which apparently relates to Crew Contract and Pooled Tips for Princess Cruises.

Although difficult to Police, Interestingly it is expected that Cash given in hand Is to be handed in and pooled .

I thought it interesting, hence why I posted it.

To me it makes perfect sense, as otherwise stewards/waiters could end up being 'tipped' twice (from the tip pool and cash) or only once (from the tip pool).

Not only didn't that seem fair, it seemed it might create staff behaviour the company would not want.

Forget the part about the tips etc, am I reading this correctly that the '330' crew average 11 hours per day in a 30 day month and the '390' average 13 hours per day in a 30 day month? Does the 330 and 390 hours cover hours worked if so they deserve all they get including tips. I wonder how many passengers work 390 contracted hours in a 30 day month, and for 9 months solid as many of the crews contract length is. Although knowing this message board I guess there will be many!

I am not a big fan of the ( not so new) automatic system- I prefered the old style enevelopes - you could give the recommended basic and add a little more if the service was better then basic. I know there were people who avoided the MDR on the last evening just to escape the handing over of the envelopes- but very seldom did I witness that myself!

So after all is said an done- I do the same nowadays- i just put something extra in an envelope and that is that- handed over in the most disrect way possilble - best not be seen or witnessed by anybody. A nice shake of the hand of - for expample the waiter - and the envelope changed hands- and nobdoy is the wiser! No song and dance in doing so- if people do it- well I find that rather tacky and tastless!

I am not a big fan of the ( not so new) automatic system- I prefered the old style enevelopes - you could give the recommended basic and add a little more if the service was better then basic. I know there were people who avoided the MDR on the last evening just to escape the handing over of the envelopes- but very seldom did I witness that myself!

So after all is said an done- I do the same nowadays- i just put something extra in an envelope and that is that- handed over in the most disrect way possilble - best not be seen or witnessed by anybody. A nice shake of the hand of - for expample the waiter - and the envelope changed hands- and nobdoy is the wiser! No song and dance in doing so- if people do it- well I find that rather tacky.

Our discreet way is by placing the envelope inside the Menu, then asking the waiter, of the envelope's destination, for "help" with a Menu selection.

Waiter will attend, selection made, Menu closed, Menu removed, all happy.

Our discreet way is by placing the envelope inside the Menu, then asking the waiter, of the envelope's destination, for "help" with a Menu selection.

Waiter will attend, selection made, Menu closed, Menu removed, all happy.

Sounds more like slipping a tenner inside your driving licence after getting your collar felt by plod.

Edited by ToadOfToadHall

... i just put something extra in an envelope and that is that- handed over in the most disrect way possilble - best not be seen or witnessed by anybody. A nice shake of the hand of - for expample the waiter - and the envelope changed hands- and nobdoy is the wiser! No song and dance in doing so- if people do it- well I find that rather tacky and tastless!
Agreed, well said :)

Our discreet way is by placing the envelope inside the Menu, then asking the waiter, of the envelope's destination, for "help" with a Menu selection. Waiter will attend, selection made, Menu closed, Menu removed, all happy.
I've seen similar done a number of times when sharing a table with others, but without the "requiring help" bit. Merely an envelope in the menu folder and then a quiet "there's something in there you you to show our thanks" when the steward collects the menu.

Similar with the sommelier, an envelope inside the small folder (containing the signed receipt) and the same words.

Easy; NO trumpets, magic wand, speeches, spotlights, roll on the drums or "TaDa" as envelopes are waved for all to see.

I've seen similar done a number of times when sharing a table with others, but without the "requiring help" bit. Merely an envelope in the menu folder and then a quiet "there's something in there you you to show our thanks" when the steward collects the menu.

Similar with the sommelier, an envelope inside the small folder (containing the signed receipt) and the same words.

Easy; NO trumpets, magic wand, speeches, spotlights, roll on the drums or "TaDa" as envelopes are waved for all to see.

Executed with grace, Pepper!

Ricki