Tipping

FluffyFiFi

Thank you daiB with your P&O experience i think we can all breathe a sigh of relief that the crew can keep additional tips on top of autogratuities.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

We can't even be sure that they even get the autotips we cough up, let alone what happens to extra tips - muddy, muddy waters

Have you seen the P&O contact to know what is or isn't in it?

The website I linked to did have a copy of the Princess contact, Princess being a Carnival brand.

Now there is no direct evidence P&O do one thing or the other, but the Princess contact is a damn good indication. And to have a system where staff don't hand over cash tips makes no sense.

As for the sticky on Cunard, that is simply an anecdotal report of what someone who used to work for Cunard years ago at a party, telling them something they wanted to hear. Yes...

Princess is a Carnival US brand with its HQ in California. Contracts etc are unlikely to be the same as P&O I would think.

We can't even be sure that they even get the autotips we cough up, let alone what happens to extra tips - muddy, muddy waters

We will just ask our Cabin Steward what happens and be open and up front. We often find that the staff will 'say it as it is' when you get to know them and chat. We can also ask at Reception and see what the official line is there.

Its comments like your own that is muddying the waters.

There is no evidence that the staff don't keep cash tips and absolutely no evidence that they don't get their share of auto -gratuities. Why for goodness sake would you suggest otherwise?

Its comments like your own that is muddying the waters.

There is no evidence that the staff don't keep cash tips and absolutely no evidence that they don't get their share of auto -gratuities. Why for goodness sake would you suggest otherwise?

Because, it is has been sstated on here in many places to be dependant on the receipient's performance rating. What happens to the money paid on autotip if it is not paid to the staff due to their performance ? Do P&O keep it. ?

We will just ask our Cabin Steward what happens and be open and up front. We often find that the staff will 'say it as it is' when you get to know them and chat. We can also ask at Reception and see what the official line is there.

I have been told first hand that staff get sent home with no renewal of contract if they are discovered to be discussing this with passengers. This is why I won't ask a steward!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Because, it is has been sstated on here in many places to be dependant on the receipient's performance rating. What happens to the money paid on autotip if it is not paid to the staff due to their performance ? Do P&O keep it. ?

For what it's worth I totally agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Princess is a Carnival US brand with its HQ in California. Contracts etc are unlikely to be the same as P&O I would think.

I don't see the logic in your statement.

Carnival is a dual listed company with a variety of brands, and although those brands are aimed at different customer segments so the marketing will be segment specific, the underlying operation of each will be based on the same tried and tested principles.

If you were designing the pay and reward system for stewards/waiters would you want to have a system so some staff 'win' because they receive their fractional share of the tip pool plus cash from people who have removed the service charge (so depressing the tip pool) and other staff 'lose' because they only receive their fractional share of the tip pool as their passengers paid the service charge so they didn't tip in cash.

Don't you think that system of allowing the staff to keep the cash if the service charge has been removed would result in behaviour that you might not want on your ships?

Wouldn't you prefer to be able to control your staff by the ability to withhold payments from the tip pool if performance is not up to standard.

Do you honestly think that the P&O brand of Carnival would operate an HR system that would give it less control of its staff than the Princess brand?

This could go on for ever. For goodness sake, no-one really knows what happens. The crew decide to work for P&O, some of them have told me very proudly about their family tradition of working for the company. It is their decision as to whether they work for P&O. To have so many pages about what might be the case when no-one really knows doesn't solve anything. I have an idea. Either go with the Auto-tips, as we do, or tip separately if you wish although I've never known how people cope with tipping waiters in the Freedom Dining restaurant assuming they may have several different waiters over the course of their cruise. I can't believe people take cash down to dinner every night.

Decide what you want to do and do it. P&O don't include tips, yes maybe it would be better if they did - we don't know whether the crew would welcome it or not - so it's not an option. Will it be in the future, yes maybe it might once day. At the moment it isn't why doesn't each cruiser decide what they want to do and do it?

Exactly and that's what everyone will continue to do. All the speculation of what may or may not happen is irrelevant and mostly imagined.

Correct.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Exactly and that's what everyone will continue to do. All the speculation of what may or may not happen is irrelevant and mostly imagined.

If you really believe that most leave the auto service reward scheme on then have a wander past reception on the evening of your day of embarkation and the first sea day and see the queues at reception and think what else are they queuing for.

If you really believe that most leave the auto service reward scheme on then have a wander past reception on the evening of your day of embarkation and the first sea day and see the queues at reception and think what else are they queuing for.

I have never seen thousands do this. Which is what you are implying. I certainly believe more people on the internet say they as a % of those posting that happens on any ship.

Not sure how you interpreted that from what I said.

My point is that people will do what they want to do and no amount of discussion will change that.

However the people queueing at Reception can be for any number of things and removal of tips will clearly be on that list but certainly won't be the only thing.

Well you can't do it on the first day, you have to wait until the 2nd day! Some of queueing on the first day will be for change of cabins, problem with a cabin, wanting to change dining because they don't know to ask at the restaurant - I could go on!

If the vast majority of people were taking the auto tips off, P&O would have altered the process to make up the shortfall, to ensure the staff received the correct remuneration.

P&O have altered the process, ..... they increased the amount of tips.

They were £3.60 in 2011 before the waiters went on strike on the Grand Alaska voyage. That's quite a big increase in 6 years.

P&O have altered the process, ..... they increased the amount of tips.

They were £3.60 in 2011 before the waiters went on strike on the Grand Alaska voyage. That's quite a big increase in 6 years.

But they had hardly risen in the 10 years before.