Experience with children in a separate room?

ChristinaN

We are a family of five wanting to sail in two connecting balcony rooms and take advantage of two separate promotions. In order to make this work, both adults need to be in one room while the children are in the other... they will be ages 14, 12 and 11 at sailing time. As far as I can tell from NCL's cruise contract this is permitted. In the past, we've done two connecting balconies on the Breakaway but had an adult listed in each cabin as it made no price difference but this time it is a savings of about $1000 to do all the boys in their own cabin. Has anyone sailed with children in a separate room where the kids were on the booking in their own room?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are a family of five wanting to sail in two connecting balcony rooms and take advantage of two separate promotions. In order to make this work, both adults need to be in one room while the children are in the other... they will be ages 14, 12 and 11 at sailing time. As far as I can tell from NCL's cruise contract this is permitted. In the past, we've done two connecting balconies on the Breakaway but had an adult listed in each cabin as it made no price difference but this time it is a savings of about $1000 to do all the boys in their own cabin. Has anyone sailed with children in a separate room where the kids were on the booking in their own room?

Unfortunately, ever since they added the UBP, they make you book an adult in each room, even if they are connecting. I had to be booked with our 19 and 20 year olds, DH with our 14, 14, and 16 year olds, so we got the UBP, and two of our kids the soda package.

NCl flip-flops on this one. One one hand....

"Norwegian Cruise Line’s policy dictates that a minor or young adult must be accompanied in the same stateroom (or connecting stateroom) by a passenger 21 years of age or older at the time of boarding."

...then the next minute, NCL tries to force an adult in each stateroom even if connecting.

Unfortunately, ever since they added the UBP, they make you book an adult in each room, even if they are connecting. I had to be booked with our 19 and 20 year olds, DH with our 14, 14, and 16 year olds, so we got the UBP, and two of our kids the soda package.

They wouldn't have to choose the UBP for the boys room though, couldn't they take the shorex or internet package instead?

Our granddaughters cruised for the first time when they were about 14 and 11. they loved having their own cabin. All that was needed was for the reservation to show one parent in each cabin and this is done all the time, even though the parents share a cabin next to the kids. Now, of course with the UBP there may be a problem. I don't have the answer, I think you need to talk to your Travel Agent or your NCL contact. There must be a way to get around this.

For obvious safety reasons, I don't think it's wise to place children alone in a balcony cabin.

"Safety" as in ...don't open the stateroom door while the balcony door is open.. or as in ...don't let the child fall off of the balcony..?

The OP in this thread has connecting staterooms which (presumably) will have the connecting door open so the parents can keep an eye on the 14, 12, and 11 year-old children.

"Safety" as in ...don't open the stateroom door while the balcony door is open.. or as in ...don't let the child fall off of the balcony..?

The OP in this thread has connecting staterooms which (presumably) will have the connecting door open so the parents can keep an eye on the 14, 12, and 11 year-old children.

"presumably".

They wouldn't have to choose the UBP for the boys room though, couldn't they take the shorex or internet package instead?

If both adults want the UBP, and they are listed in separate cabins, they both have to choose that promotion.

Our granddaughters cruised for the first time when they were about 14 and 11. they loved having their own cabin. All that was needed was for the reservation to show one parent in each cabin and this is done all the time, even though the parents share a cabin next to the kids. Now, of course with the UBP there may be a problem. I don't have the answer, I think you need to talk to your Travel Agent or your NCL contact. There must be a way to get around this.

I called several times, was told that now, if there are two adults, one MUST be listed in each cabin. There was no getting around it.

Rather than speculating on what people think or what people have heard, let's look at the NCL age policy

"Norwegian Cruise Lines policy dictates that a minor or young adult under the age of 21 must be accompanied in the same stateroom by a guest 21 years of age or older at the time of boarding."

https://www.ncl.com/faq#age-requirements

That being said, once you are on board, you can have room-access-only keys made and you can shuffle the sleeping arrangements.

That being said, once you are on board, you can have room-access-only keys made and you can shuffle the sleeping arrangements.

Has anyone actually had this done? I've never heard of having a "room access only" key granted to someone else in addition to the key given to the actual passenger. Usually if another key is made, the original is deactivated.

NCL's policy definitely says no to minors only in a separate room, but other cruise lines are more lenient-they allow minors in another room if parents are either adjoining or across the hall. Here's a CC article listing details:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1782

Has anyone actually had this done? I've never heard of having a "room access only" key granted to someone else in addition to the key given to the actual passenger. Usually if another key is made, the original is deactivated.

NCL's policy definitely says no to minors only in a separate room, but other cruise lines are more lenient-they allow minors in another room if parents are either adjoining or across the hall. Here's a CC article listing details:

We've done it 5 times, head right to guest services right after boarding to get additional cabin cards.

Call either NCL or your TA and see if it can be done. You will get some people on the boards that tell you it is possible and others that it is not possible. Until you try you will never know.

Please remember the lifeboat muster stations!!!

Block of certain cabins from each deck are assigned to certain muster station. This means that some non-connecting adjoining rooms may not have the same muster station.

So it makes sense that an adult must be in cabin with minor(s). You cannot book minors in an adjoining non-connecting cabin if they are assigned to different muster station as you.

Same thing goes with booking opposite inside cabins (on older ships) for the kids.

We've done it 5 times, head right to guest services right after boarding to get additional cabin cards.

Righto, this happens, no problem, but each of you must go the muster station as stated on your actual (original) card.

So for a family of 4, one parent and one child will be assigned to one muster and the other parent and other child in other cabin may be assigned to another muster station. THIS is better than having both parent assigned to one and both kids assigned to another, isn't it?

I don't think there is any "safety" issue...kids that age don't give a fig about a balcony...they will not be lounging out there. Might be better to get an inside cabin (if your ship has them across from your balcony)....less money...and they DO NOT CARE...guaranteed. They want to be out and about doing stuff with people their own age.

Righto, this happens, no problem, but each of you must go the muster station as stated on your actual (original) card.

So for a family of 4, one parent and one child will be assigned to one muster and the other parent and other child in other cabin may be assigned to another muster station. THIS is better than having both parent assigned to one and both kids assigned to another, isn't it?

Um, I don't know, we've always been assigned to the same muster station (and have even had different stewards).

I looked and couldn't find anything stating this on the NCL site. I read their cruise contract which states minors must be in a connecting stateroom or adjacent stateroom. Which was why I was confused when they declined allowing us to do this. It is the difference between us staying in our family oceanview vs booking 2 balcony cabins which is fine but it would have been nice to have the extra bathroom and privacy of two rooms.

I don't think there is any "safety" issue...kids that age don't give a fig about a balcony...they will not be lounging out there. Might be better to get an inside cabin (if your ship has them across from your balcony)....less money...and they DO NOT CARE...guaranteed. They want to be out and about doing stuff with people their own age.

That has been our experience, too. We get the kids an inside with us in a balcony (yes, we booked with a parent listed for each room, even though we actually stayed together in the balcony--gasp!). The kids come over our way when they want to hang with us (rarely), otherwise they are out with the kids adventure/ teen programs. I'd recommend the inside across from your balcony room.

I looked and couldn't find anything stating this on the NCL site.

It depends on what part of the NCL site that you are reading. I just checked and found...:confused:

Traveling with Minors and Young Adults:

Norwegian Cruise Lines policy dictates that a minor or young adult under the age of 21 must be accompanied in the same stateroom by a guest 21 years of age or older at the time of boarding. (in the FAQ section) - LINK

...and I also found...

Norwegian Cruise Line’s policy dictates that a minor or young adult must be accompanied in the same stateroom (or connecting stateroom) by a passenger 21 years of age or older at the time of boarding. (in the Required Travel Documentation section) - LINK

...and the Guest Ticket Contract has...

© Guests under 21: Any Guest under 21 years of age is considered a minor. Any Guest under the age of 21 must be accompanied in the same, connecting, or side by side stateroom by a Guest 21 years of age or older at the time of embarkation who expressly agrees to be responsible for the under 21 Guest throughout the cruise. - 04/17 - LINK

...so, it's understandable that there are mixed results and answers.

We do it on every cruise, we always have multiple keys for everyone elses room.

It depends on what part of the NCL site that you are reading. I just checked and found...:confused:

Norwegian Cruise Lines policy dictates that a minor or young adult under the age of 21 must be accompanied in the same stateroom by a guest 21 years of age or older at the time of boarding. (in the FAQ section) - LINK

...and I also found...

Norwegian Cruise Line’s policy dictates that a minor or young adult must be accompanied in the same stateroom (or connecting stateroom) by a passenger 21 years of age or older at the time of boarding. (in the Required Travel Documentation section) - LINK

...and the Guest Ticket Contract has...

© Guests under 21: Any Guest under 21 years of age is considered a minor. Any Guest under the age of 21 must be accompanied in the same, connecting, or side by side stateroom by a Guest 21 years of age or older at the time of embarkation who expressly agrees to be responsible for the under 21 Guest throughout the cruise. - 04/17 - LINK

...so, it's understandable that there are mixed results and answers.

Thank you. I was searching on my phone and could only find the one. Too bad it won't work out for us but we'll just have more cramped quarters.