Sea sick concerned... help?!

Im a first time cruiser. Love the idea but VERY concerned about sea sickness. Has anyone taking the Conquest to Bahamas, Grand Turk and Amber Cove in early November?

I'm concerned about rough seas or just how the boat feels in general... do you feel like you're constantly moving?

How is the transfer from ship to islands... small boat?

Thanks so much for any and all help!!

Im a first time cruiser. Love the idea but VERY concerned about sea sickness. Has anyone taking the Conquest to Bahamas, Grand Turk and Amber Cove in early November?

I'm concerned about rough seas or just how the boat feels in general... do you feel like you're constantly moving?

Go to Wal-Mart and ask the pharmacist for generic Bonine. I suffer from horrible motion sickness on land, but I start taking Bonine 3 days before we sail, and I'm fine. Generally, you'll only feel the ship move when the seas are rough, but if you take the med, you should be fine. Also note that the higher the deck, the more you will feel the movement.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

When you push off from the dock you may not notice if you aren't watching. And when motoring out of port it will be perfectly calm. As you turn into the open ocean as a general rule you will begin to feel a small difference and when you head into deeper waters off the shelf the boat will sway a bit more. When you reach the calm waters of the islands it's more flat like pulling out of port. Each of your stops has a pier so no tender required.

So I would say yes, you know you are moving but most times it's very mild. In the deeper waters after leaving Florida or on the way back, we have had plenty of times where we were doing the drunk walk down the hallway!

As for sea sickness, do you fear it because you have other motion sickness? I get car sick in the backseat of a car and feel queasy after 3D simulator rides. But I have never been sea sick on a cruise ship. When we had 20' seas coming across the gulf back to Tampa one time I simply took Bonine as a preventative. Zero issues. And most recently on a trip where I was going to be riding on twisting roads I wore sea bands and did not feel my normal discomfort. Also, you will see lots of people on a ship with the patch behind there ear that is worn 24/7.

So if you are worried, just be prepared. It is Mother Nature after all so no way to predict exactly what you will experience but far more often than not it will be smooth sailing.

Oh and PS - most people sleep their best on a cruise ship because the gentle rock is very relaxing!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And yes, the tender boats are relatively small and generally there's significant rocking. But again, Bonine is a life saver!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

I have a friend who gets carsck easily. She was determined to cruise. I gave her some Bonine along with some ginger root capsules and had her start taking them a few days before we sailed and continue throughout the cruise. She's been on 3 cruises with me so far, with one more booked - not a bit of seasickness ever. On the first cruise there were 8 of us and a couple of others did get a bit sick, but she didn't. That combination works wonders.

Since all of your ports have a pier you won't have to worry about tenders. But for future cruises you may want to wait and be one of the last to board a tender - they wait until full and sitting there waiting to fill can be a bit bouncy sometimes if the water is choppy.

As for sea sickness, do you fear it because you have other motion sickness? I get car sick in the backseat of a car and feel queasy after 3D simulator rides. But I have never been sea sick on a cruise ship.

I am exactly the same way. The only time I felt a little queasy was the 1st day of our 1st cruise but 15 cruises later, no sea sickness ever.

Good luck

I have been on 21 cruises and the only cruise I ever got sea sick on was last April going from Bermuda to New Jersey. I didn't throw up but felt quite queasy for almost a whole day. Matter of fact I spent the day in bed and finally got up around 4pm to get some soup and crackers. The seas were very rough and the captain even closed off the outside decks as it was dangerous. I then find out that it is quite common for the seas to be this way in the Atlantic. I really wish someone would have told me that as I would have taken some Bonine beforehand. I have always done the Caribbean or the Mediterranean Sea and had never done a Bermuda cruise so now I know for the next time.

Depends on the seas...and there is no "calm" time of year, per se......it's all about winds and frontal systems....not time of year! Generally, seas under 10-12 ft are barely noticeable.....

If you don't get carsick or suffer problems on amusement rides, then you will probably be fine. Iff you don't bring Bonine with you, the ship does have seasickness meds (for free) if you need them.

Not sure how the Conquest stacks up in terms of size of cruise ships....

**thank you everyone for your responses. I DO get very carsick, and sea sick. I love Bonnie but I recently went on a boat to Catalina and was SO crazy sick (taking Bonnie and Dramamine). Which is why I'm now getting super concerned about the cruise.

Crushing just seems to offer so many great things at such a good price, I really want to try it.

**thank you everyone for your responses. I DO get very carsick, and sea sick. I love Bonnie but I recently went on a boat to Catalina and was SO crazy sick (taking Bonnie and Dramamine). Which is why I'm now getting super concerned about the cruise.

Crushing just seems to offer so many great things at such a good price, I really want to try it.

Then ask the doctor for the patch. But keep in mind there is an enormous difference between even a 75-100 or even 250' boat to an almost 1000' cruise ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't think any of your ports are tender ports, unless you are stopping in Half Moon Cay. You didn't say where your stop in the Bahamas was. I'm pretty sure that Amber Cove isn't a tender port and I know for sure Grand Turk isn't.

The generic ingredient in Bonine and in Dramamine II(non sleepy kind) is called Meclazine. You can get meclazine in any pharmacy here in the USA.

We take it before the ship leaves the dock!

I take 1 pill a day and DH takes 2 the first day and then 1 each morning and each night that we are moving. Everyone is different in how much they need.

My daughters are very sensitive to motion, and get sick allot. But since they discovered "ginger" (All forms) they have not been sick once in all their cruises. They like candied ginger for when it just hits (works faster than pills), but most of the time they just take ginger pills the whole cruise. They learned this from Holland America cruise line one evening exiting the MDR, there is a man/woman with trays of candies ginger, mints and chocolates just outside of it. My daughters asked why anyone would want the yucky ginger and were told its settles the stomach and helps with motion sickness! They were able to get several helpings to last through out the cruise and did not get sick that week!

My wife has tried everything. The only thing that has worked for her is the scop patches. Those work great.

Yes, IMHO, you do notice the motion all the time. Usually its not that big, but its always there. And then you notice the lack of it for several days after you get off.

I get sea sick and on a 14 day cruise I got really sick and the pills never helped much but I wear seabands. And when its super bad i wear one on each wrist which was suggested by one of the cruise employees. And helped so much. If you dont want pills i suggest the seabands you can find at any store.

Being seasick is a form of motion sickness but not for the same reasons as car sickness or amusement ride sickness.

For car sickness generally it's more about the eye informing the brain about relative speeds that it can adjust for the information the inner ear is sensing. If your car sickness can be cured by not watching the road you may not necessarily get seasick. BUT if your car sickness is at its worst when riding up front and keeping your eyes on the road ahead there is a small chance you will get seasick on a ship, but since ships rarely run at more than 25 miles an hour and don't turn sharply it's possible you won't.

For amusement rides it's more about the suddenness of drops or looping head over heels. Again if you get queasy doing rides with your eyes open looking only at the track it's possible the inner ear, mind and eye connection is the cause. And if riding with your eyes closed us worst count on feeling the same if there are rough seas that make the ship pitch, roll, or yew. Beyond medicines and holistic treatments, the best thing to do in that case is get to a deck as low as possible and to the center of that deck.

Air sickness is the closest related motion sickness in triggers to seasickness, unless like me you know that your air sickness trigger is from the pressure changes. And just like dealing with air sickness it is best to consulted a doctor for a prescription, or at least recommendations on OTC meds (like those with heart conditions or transplants shouldn't take mescaline, and those with certain skin allergies should not use the scopa patches). But the biggest thing to remember is alcohol will make the medicines less effective and the seasickness sensation even more noticeable. So keep well hydrated with water, fruit juices, or milkshakes, take frequent fresh air breaks if inside, and step inside to sit close to the center of the ship if outside for any long length of time. Also any of the remedies are more effective if you start using them 36-48 hours before cast off.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Forums mobile app

Something I've learned over the years after suffering from nausea due to many reasons...it's very possible to make yourself sick just by over thinking it. I do it to myself all the time.

However, I really do enjoy cruising and dislike side effects from medication. Since you are already used to Bonine, I would suggest taking that in addition to ginger capsules. They are inexpensive and work great for my husband and I without side effects. I also usually bring some ginger ale. And remember, try not to overthink it. Have a great trip!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

DH is very motion sick prone (in cars if not driving etc.), he has the patch from Dr., starts using 2 days out from boarding ship (one a day after shower). Then uses a third one on the day we board, typically that is it for the week, he is fine. We always have extra's with us but have never needed them but also carry Bonine or Dramamine for a quick fix for any of us if needed (DS and myself are usually OK). We also keep a six pack of ginger ale in cabin as well just in case.

I've only been on one cruise and I only felt nauseous once. It was when I was on Lido and I looked out to the water. Instantly felt queasy. Luckily it went away. It could have had to do with being intoxicated but we will find out in 3 weeks. Haha. Good luck.