9:20am flight too early with RCCL ship arrival of 6:15?

spangnash

We will be cruising on the Allure of the Seas on Feb 25th, 2018. Our return flight time options aren't great... either 9:20a or 3:20p. We'll be a party of 6, with 3 young children; I'd rather not have to find things to do to fill our day until our 3:20p flight. The ship 'arrives' at 6:15. I wouldn't normally even ask about a flight only 3 hours later, but the port is so close to the airport (FLL)... do you think we can make it?

You'll get multiple responses on both sides, all based on previous experiences and assumptions. Ultimately, it boils down to, are you more comfortable taking the risks inherent to the early flight, or finding a way to occupy your time until the later flight?

No way I would book that flight. Arriving at 6:15 does not mean you will get off the ship then. For a 9:20 flight you need to be at FLL by about 7:50 - and 7:30 or before is better. With the need to load up 6 of you plus bags into two taxis, and the 15+ minute ride to FLL, that translates into off the ship with bags and clear of customs/immigration NLT about 7:00.

Look into a day rate hotel, let the kids swim off some energy, grab some lunch and then head to FLL in time for your afternoon flight is my suggestion.

Too risky I think...I have been on some cruises where we were 2-3 hours late arriving back to port due to weather conditions, ship issues, or you can be delayed with customs issues, the fact is you just need one little thing to delay that ship or you exiting the ship and you miss your flight. On the other hand you may be able to make that flight, only you know what your willing to risk.....good luck.

Edited by doone

We fly frequently post cruise and would never book that early flight. And we are just two adults.

To get small kids to follow directions and move like a fine tuned machine is impossible. And that's what you'd need to make it.

The later flight isn't ideal. But you can hang out on the ship until last call after breakfast. And it's certainly better than missing that early plane and having to spend another night. There aren't empty seats on planes in FL in Feb.

What airline are you looking at? We are in WI and use Southwest. They usually have an early afternoon plane thru ATL.

Edited by eandj

That seems too risky. How many ships will be in port? In Feb and March there usually are 5-6 ships in port on weekends. That translates to even more delays and taxi shortages, et cet, depending on when you disembark. You'd have to do walkoff, most likely.

I agree with everyone else. You may get some anecdotal responses saying they had no problem making a flight at that hour but I bet most of them had self disembarkation (each passenger must be capable of managing their own luggage and still have one hand free to hold on to the escalators) which I assume is out of the question with 3 kids and the luggage for 6.

We will be cruising on the Allure of the Seas on Feb 25th, 2018. Our return flight time options aren't great... either 9:20a or 3:20p. We'll be a party of 6, with 3 young children; I'd rather not have to find things to do to fill our day until our 3:20p flight. The ship 'arrives' at 6:15. I wouldn't normally even ask about a flight only 3 hours later, but the port is so close to the airport (FLL)... do you think we can make it?

It would be too early for me.

However, if you want to roll the dice, are willing to be in the self-assist line by 5am, take a taxi to the airport not a shuttle, and there are no delays, you can be at the airport before 7am.

RCI does the turn around better then anyone.

You will find that some will do this and make the flight.

I wouldn't consider it on any other cruise line but you have a better chance on ships such as the Allure Of The Seas.

With that said once in awhile I have read of situations where things didn't go as planned.

For me I wouldn't do it but I don't like stress.

There will be seven ships in port that day.

If you don't have TSA Pre Check keep in mind with the new requirements for removing all electronics from carry ons (except for those with Pre Check) that are larger then a smart phone airport security lines could be even longer then they are today.

Can you make it? You might. Is there some risk? Yes.

Keith

Another thought.

Have you looked at a flight from Miami Airport.

Maybe there is one late morning.

I realize that would involve a longer drive to get there but just something to consider. If per chance the prices were lower on the airfare that would offset the added cost of transportation. Just thought you might want to look at that as an alternative.

Keith

Our last time in FL, our only flight home was around 3pm, and honestly, there wasn't that much time to kill. We asked for a later departure time from the ship (maybe 9am?), but then stood in line at customs for well over an hour. We had not paid for internet to print boarding passes, so we did checkin at the airport kiosk, strolled to our gate, had a bit of lunch, found a comfortable waiting area, still got home before dark.

Something to be aware of - just off Harmony in FLL a couple weeks ago. My departure group (tag #23) was scheduled for 8:20. The first group (after Express self carry) (tag #1) was scheduled for 7:15. From the beginning, there was a delay which backed up everything following. #23 was finally called at 8:45, 25 min. after schedule (it's made very clear on the "As You Depart" sheet you get night before disembark that all times are estimated, so no guarantees).

Longest wait was after the gangway getting into the luggage area, but only a few minutes. Found my luggage quickly and easily. I had downloaded the Mobile Passport app and was ready to go....but then was guided toward a different line, not towards the Mobile Passport line. I mentioned I had the app and was told "we are not using that now". I had overheard on the ship that the delay issue involved Customs (but can't confirm) so, and I'm totally speculating here, being the brilliant rocket scientist that I am, my guess is that the Customs delay had something to do with the Mobile Passport app, at least in part. However, I was the 2nd person in line, the Customs agent looked at my passport for like 2 seconds, handed it back to me, and I was outside the terminal by 9:05am.

I've taken cabs to the airport before which are usually quick (haven't done Uber or Lyft yet), but this time I had opted for the RCI airport shuttle to FLL. Cost was $16.75, I signed up at Guest Services mid-week and it was added to my SeaPass account. Easy peasy. The bus (and it's a big bus, not a little shuttle van), was easy to find, but they waited until it was full, which took about 10 minutes (it was half full already when I boarded). I took a photo of the ship as we drove by on the way to airport, the time stamp says 9:18am. Ride to airport took less than 15 minutes, but here is something else to consider - there is more than 1 terminal at FLL so timing of drop off depends on your airline - IF you're taking the shuttle. This would not of course be a factor if cab, etc. I was in the first group to get dropped off at Terminal 1 as I was flying Southwest. It was a zoo...very packed, I was checking a bag so had to stand in one line to self-print my luggage tag, then get in another line to drop the bag. I would estimate this took about 15-20 minutes. Then off to security, since I have TSA Pre-ck it was a much shorter line. I was through security and looking for my gate at 10:05am. I just remember thinking, I would never even consider a flight before 11am (and that's pushing it for me, who wants to go on a relaxing vacation and then start stressing right away afterwards), however, that's keeping in mind that my disembark group was 8:20. There is the self-carry option which begins at 6:30am, but again, "all times are estimated" so no guarantees.

My flight at 12:30pm was 100% full, in fact oversold, and I'm guessing trying to find a seat on a later flight had I missed that one would have been very difficult, and more time spent in a cramped airport (at least the Southwest gate area).

Be kind to your self and avoid the stress - take the later flight!

Wispud,

Thank you for posting your recent experience with debarking and taking a flight from FLL. It will help others with timing their departure and flights.

From personal experience, what you posted is typical at this port and airport. Ah yes, the cramped SW terminal. The last time I was there was the worst. Crowded, hot, stuffy, nowhere to sit or eat, etc. What a way to end a nice cruise.

Roz

I will be on the Regal Princess in January. I booked our flights to/from Fort Lauderdale yesterday and my choices on the return were 11:10 a.m. or 1:55 p.m. I chose the 1:55 p.m. flight because I want my cruise to be as stress free as possible. We could probably make the 11:10, but I would prefer to not worry about it.

This past Nov I was on the Freedom and did the bag dragging routine and debarking took over two hours due to some problems in the Customs area. This past May I was on the Allure and from the time we left the cabin to the time we were in line to get a taxi was less than a half hour. Basically it is the luck of the draw getting off the ship in a timely manner.

Too risky I think...I have been on some cruises where we were 2-3 hours late arriving back to port due to weather conditions, ship issues, or you can be delayed with customs issues, the fact is you just need one little thing to delay that ship or you exiting the ship and you miss your flight. On the other hand you may be able to make that flight, only you know what your willing to risk.....good luck.

I've missed a connecting flight because my first flight was delayed. That's just the way travel goes sometimes....

To the OP, can you make that flight? Probably. I'd do it. I sailed Oasis in FLL and I was home 15 minutes west of the airport by 7:20. The customer service rep said to just walk down for self disembark at 6:45 once the crowd is gone and I did exactly that. We walked right off the ship, right up to customs and right out the door. In the truck by 7:00 at the latest and home around 7:20. In your case, I'd be in line to be one of the first off the ship. Providing the ship is on time and things are "normal" - then you really should have no problem making a 9:20AM flight out of FLL. If anything is delayed, you risk not making your flight and if you are ok with that risk, then go for it.

I agree with everyone else. You may get some anecdotal responses saying they had no problem making a flight at that hour but I bet most of them had self disembarkation (each passenger must be capable of managing their own luggage and still have one hand free to hold on to the escalators) which I assume is out of the question with 3 kids and the luggage for 6.

Or you can just pack appropriately knowing you need to self-disembark. We take our 2 kids and our luggage consists of 2 decent sized roll on bags and a backpack - with room to spare. We could manage with 3 kids just fine.

Something to be aware of - just off Harmony in FLL a couple weeks ago. My departure group (tag #23) was scheduled for 8:20. The first group (after Express self carry) (tag #1) was scheduled for 7:15. From the beginning, there was a delay which backed up everything following. #23 was finally called at 8:45, 25 min. after schedule (it's made very clear on the "As You Depart" sheet you get night before disembark that all times are estimated, so no guarantees).

Longest wait was after the gangway getting into the luggage area, but only a few minutes. Found my luggage quickly and easily. I had downloaded the Mobile Passport app and was ready to go....but then was guided toward a different line, not towards the Mobile Passport line. I mentioned I had the app and was told "we are not using that now". I had overheard on the ship that the delay issue involved Customs (but can't confirm) so, and I'm totally speculating here, being the brilliant rocket scientist that I am, my guess is that the Customs delay had something to do with the Mobile Passport app, at least in part. However, I was the 2nd person in line, the Customs agent looked at my passport for like 2 seconds, handed it back to me, and I was outside the terminal by 9:05am.

I've taken cabs to the airport before which are usually quick (haven't done Uber or Lyft yet), but this time I had opted for the RCI airport shuttle to FLL. Cost was $16.75, I signed up at Guest Services mid-week and it was added to my SeaPass account. Easy peasy. The bus (and it's a big bus, not a little shuttle van), was easy to find, but they waited until it was full, which took about 10 minutes (it was half full already when I boarded). I took a photo of the ship as we drove by on the way to airport, the time stamp says 9:18am. Ride to airport took less than 15 minutes, but here is something else to consider - there is more than 1 terminal at FLL so timing of drop off depends on your airline - IF you're taking the shuttle. This would not of course be a factor if cab, etc. I was in the first group to get dropped off at Terminal 1 as I was flying Southwest. It was a zoo...very packed, I was checking a bag so had to stand in one line to self-print my luggage tag, then get in another line to drop the bag. I would estimate this took about 15-20 minutes. Then off to security, since I have TSA Pre-ck it was a much shorter line. I was through security and looking for my gate at 10:05am. I just remember thinking, I would never even consider a flight before 11am (and that's pushing it for me, who wants to go on a relaxing vacation and then start stressing right away afterwards), however, that's keeping in mind that my disembark group was 8:20. There is the self-carry option which begins at 6:30am, but again, "all times are estimated" so no guarantees.

My flight at 12:30pm was 100% full, in fact oversold, and I'm guessing trying to find a seat on a later flight had I missed that one would have been very difficult, and more time spent in a cramped airport (at least the Southwest gate area).

Be kind to your self and avoid the stress - take the later flight!

You were in Group #23 and made no effort to get off early. Of course you got off later and got to the airport later. Anyone taking an early flight almost certainly should be in express self-assist - in which there is no line for customs or anything of the sort and you are off well before 7AM. You also wouldn't take a shuttle in this case, you would take one of the waiting taxis that will drop you off right at your airline.