Gala nights

Mrkmbb

We just returned from a 10-day Westerdam cruise and I was shocked at how many people dressed up. I would say 75% were in nice suits or even tuxes. Due to trying to lessen baggage, we did not take suits. I wore a nice long-sleeve dress shirt and slacks but felt underdressed.

Shoes: I have had knee replacement surgey, a broken leg, broken foot and I DREAD the formal nights because I can't find any formal shoes that fit me well enough. Heels are out of the question (that's how I broke my foot) and to wear flats with a glittery gown just doesn't cut it in my opinion.

We have come to the conclusion that my DH will wear a dress shirt with a tie (ties don't take up much space in the luggage) and I will wear a long dress with flat sandals (not flip flops).

Please don't be so harsh on those that don't dress up to your standards, sometimes some of us have ailments that just prevent us from dressing to the 9's even though we would like to. I'm not going to the Lido deck to eat on Gala nights, and I'm not staying in my room. I will not dress shabbily, but I definitely won't be wearing high heels and a tight sequined dress.....not happening.

Please just worry about yourselves and not about others. Everyone has an opinion on this, and frankly no body is right or wrong.....just different views.

Shoes: I have had knee replacement surgey, a broken leg, broken foot and I DREAD the formal nights because I can't find any formal shoes that fit me well enough. Heels are out of the question (that's how I broke my foot) and to wear flats with a glittery gown just doesn't cut it in my opinion.

We have come to the conclusion that my DH will wear a dress shirt with a tie (ties don't take up much space in the luggage) and I will wear a long dress with flat sandals (not flip flops).

Please don't be so harsh on those that don't dress up to your standards, sometimes some of us have ailments that just prevent us from dressing to the 9's even though we would like to. I'm not going to the Lido deck to eat on Gala nights, and I'm not staying in my room. I will not dress shabbily, but I definitely won't be wearing high heels and a tight sequined dress.....not happening.

Please just worry about yourselves and not about others. Everyone has an opinion on this, and frankly no body is right or wrong.....just different views.

You should remember that the only applicable "standards" for Gala nights are what HAL suggests. Anyone who tries to add is simply out of line and is best ignored. Those suggestions made by HAL are pretty broad and easy to comply with -- and in any civilized environment (which is what a dress code is meant to achieve) leeway is granted for anyone with a medical condition.

In any event, what you have described certainly seems to be in full compliance. I happen to like to travel wearing a bla🇬🇧

I couldn't care less what you wear our don't wear. What I care about is how you treat people who see things differently than you see them.

This message may have been entered via voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

What was drilled into me by my mentors: Lead by example.

If you want to glam-up, please don't worry about your footwear. Please! And please don't think you will scandalize anyone if you wear flats with a gown. Or with sequins :)

If you want to glam-up, please don't worry about your footwear. Please! And please don't think you will scandalize anyone if you wear flats with a gown. Or with sequins :)

Agree, I walked too many years in heels and as much as I love them, the foot I broke too many years ago now protests and rocking and rolling in heels is not good and my foot will "protest" by just givning out.

I wear a lot of flat shoes when I need to and that's fine as far as I am concerned ;)

I wonder how many of the faithful here will get that one? :D One would have to have a little tenure here to appreciate the nuance

Yup, call me one of the faithful! [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is such a non issue. Just wear what you want, MYOB, and have a good time. If you want to go into policing or etiquette then forget clothes police and being a miss or mr manners critic.

Consider a career in law enforcement or write a best selling book on cruise ship etiquette.

We are only on this earth for a fleeting minute. Enjoy yourself, forget about the naysayers and the debbie downers, and first and foremost don't waste your time sweating the small stuff. This world already has enough miserable people, we don't need any more.

Right on.

We've traveled quite a bit on HAL (5 star) and I wear a tux because I think it's fun. I honestly couldn't tell you how many other people are wearing tuxes, jeans, baseball caps, flip-flops, beaded gowns or anything else on gala nights. I don't notice because I don't care. Dress how you wish and don't let anyone else's preference ruin your experience. Life is way too short for that.

You're kidding ... given the permissive nature of the current Dress Code, I can't imagine why people are still pounding on this one. It's over. The book of Ecclesiastes is right: there really is nothing new under the sun. ;)

On the Rotterdam in January I had a pair of dark-grey slacks, a black jacket, a white dress shirt and a couple of ties. I was fine. I could have foregone the jacket and tie, as some men did on the Gala nights, but didn't want to. No one exploded either way.

People who have been members for a few years and remember the former screen names of some posters.

The implications are interesting - I would think the primary reason one would change screen names would be to sever connection with (possibly profoundly regretted) old posts. So why would they let their new "secret identity" be pierced?

The implications are interesting - I would think the primary reason one would change screen names would be to sever connection with (possibly profoundly regretted) old posts. So why would they let their new "secret identity" be pierced?

Some posters have changed their board names, said so openly, and even given reasons for it. Others have changed their names, either officially with CC or by returning as new people quietly, but they have not changed their writing style. They have been spotted as there are little "tells" (I think that's what gamblers call it) that are picked up on.

If you spend any time here, and pay attention, it's really not that hard to pick up on when someone has reinvented themselves.