re meat pies

35 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I will try the Vegemite and probably will be one that sets it aside. I like to try new things.

I think I may have had it before but not strait, I think my mom used it or Marmite as a flavour enhancer in her gravy and such things.

Vegemite is considered umami flavour so it does make a great flavour enhancer. You don't have to eat it straight, lots of people put butter first and then spread Vegemite on top. You can also do Vegemite with cheese which is my personal favourite especially with cheddar though mozzarella is nice too if you want something milder. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Gut, I first went to Harrys back in 67, when I was stationed at Darlo.  They had the prescribed 'floaters' back then.   You had to be careful walking around near Harrys, a lot of the sailors and the louts had a habit of practicing their 'technicolour yawn.'  One did not want one's shiny Baxter boots to have such nastiness on them.  Would not have been Harry's products, more like the vile brew called Dirty Annie (Reschs Dinner Ale - DA for short.)  I was a Tooheys Flag Ale man myself, back then, when a laguna was 15 centavos.

Yeah no idea how anyone drank a Dirty Annie, Flag was pretty much the go to. Then they bought out Kiddes Beer.

43 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I will try the Vegemite and probably will be one that sets it aside. I like to try new things.

I think I may have had it before but not strait, I think my mom used it or Marmite as a flavour enhancer in her gravy and such things.

I’m cooking a nice stew for tea, will probably add a spoonful of Vegemite towards the end.

Okay, mushy peas. Are these dried peas reconstituted into a blob of thick goo similar to baby food or are they fresh or frozen peas mashed up? This may be another thing I will try because it is a "thing" but it could lead to a technicolour yawn followed closely by a bought of laughing at the ground. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blackduck59 said:

Okay, mushy peas. Are these dried peas reconstituted into a blob of thick goo similar to baby food or are they fresh or frozen peas mashed up? This may be another thing I will try because it is a "thing" but it could lead to a technicolour yawn followed closely by a bought of laughing at the ground. 

Here you go Lyle...th.jpg.3d76c36151ae2bbcf103b0c5f0191c5d.jpgLubbly Jubbly

peas.jpg

Edited by NSWP

2 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

I’m cooking a nice stew for tea, will probably add a spoonful of Vegemite towards the end.

I suggest quarter of a bottle of any red wine into it for colour and aroma and drink the rest.🍷

11 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I hear you Les, we have a lot of history here at home in Canada, I would love to drive through much of the east but that means driving through the Prairies, nice folks and vast expanses of flatness, black flies and flocks of mosquitoes the size of bumble bees. Nice people but it takes almost 3 days to get through.

Speaking of the east I dimly recall something that to us may equate to our floater in strangeness. I'm not sure if it is eaten in your area but from memory it is hot potato chips (Fries) coated with cheese and a few other things that an old memory can't quite recall. The word Boudin sticks in my brain but i know that is sausage and not what i'm looking for.

Bless Google, it is Poutine, sounds a bit rough to me but I'd give it a go. If I can handle Philippine Balut I reckon I'd do OK with the Poutine.

1 minute ago, Blackduck59 said:

I may be able to find them in the "English" section of one of the local supermarkets.

Indeed, if they have them here, you would get them there, plenty of Pom migrants in Canada.

10 minutes ago, NSWP said:

You surely would not devour two or three of those Fray Bentos would you mate, one would be quite adequate with half a can of Batchelors Mushy peas, $2 at Woollies, as the topping.

peas.jpg

Once upon a time I could get through a few, we took camping, seems those peas are a store by store item.

4 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Once upon a time I could get through a few, we took camping, seems those peas are a store by store item.

At Batemans Bay, they are in the 'International Food section.

Yes Russell it is poutine, definitely give it a try. Like meat pies there is a wide array and not all are created equal of course it is native to Quebec but has taken the whole country by storm. It's all about the cheese. It has to be proper cheese curd and it gets squishy with the heat of the fries and gravy.

6 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

Speaking of the east I dimly recall something that to us may equate to our floater in strangeness. I'm not sure if it is eaten in your area but from memory it is hot potato chips (Fries) coated with cheese and a few other things that an old memory can't quite recall. The word Boudin sticks in my brain but i know that is sausage and not what i'm looking for.

Bless Google, it is Poutine, sounds a bit rough to me but I'd give it a go. If I can handle Philippine Balut I reckon I'd do OK with the Poutine.

Having been to Canada a couple of times, west and east coast, I had to try Tim Hortons, I cannot remember if they had that Poutine delicacy, but they sure had a grand array of other healthy treats.🤣 When coming back from Whistler to Vancouver,  the tour bus driver on Gray Line said 'We are going to see Timmy Horton." I wondered what he was going on about, thought it was a relo or something. Then I heard the story about Tim Horton the ice hockey legend who was the fast food guru in Canada.

4 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Yes Russell it is poutine, definitely give it a try. Like meat pies there is a wide array and not all are created equal of course it is native to Quebec but has taken the whole country by storm. It's all about the cheese. It has to be proper cheese curd and it gets squishy with the heat of the fries and gravy.

Knife and Fork job then Lyle. I am going out the back to 'laugh at the ground.' 

Yes Tim Horton's, they even had one in Afghanistan when our troops were deployed there. My buddy has a baseball cap with Tim Horton's Afghanistan on it. I like the Honey cruller yummy, my boss buys the crew coffee and donuts every Friday

Poutine is a fork job, no knife required. Keep in mind that across the country there are many variations and additions

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Okay, strike the pie floater, it looks like it got plopped in a bowl of split pea soup. I will try the tomato sauce because it is a thing but pea soup no way.

It is actually a really nice combination, providing you already like meat pies and pea soup separately of course.

4 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

It is actually a really nice combination, providing you already like meat pies and pea soup separately of course.

I love both pies and pea soup but certainly not together. Isn’t it a South Australian delicacy? Husband rather likes a pie floater. 

Leigh

Just now, possum52 said:

I love both pies and pea soup but certainly not together. Isn’t it a South Australian delicacy? Husband rather likes a pie floater. 

Leigh

Yes a mainly a SA thing but as mentioned, they can be found elsewhere

On 6/26/2020 at 4:39 PM, NSWP said:

I am making a chicken curry and it will be washed down with a bottle of De Bortoli Semillion Sauvignon Blanc. I bought half the cellar door when I was out at Griffith.  I have always liked De Bortoli wines, great value.  I had better buy some liqueur chocolates then to accompany my after dinner De Bortoli Tawny.  A bit retro, like After Dinner Mints.

I found those chocolate  bottles in the sweet shop on my MSC Divina cruise last year. I bought a (large) box and scoffed them. Yummo. A Belmont deli used to stock them back in the 70s, then they seemed to go out of fashion.

2 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Vegemite is considered umami flavour so it does make a great flavour enhancer. You don't have to eat it straight, lots of people put butter first and then spread Vegemite on top. You can also do Vegemite with cheese which is my personal favourite especially with cheddar though mozzarella is nice too if you want something milder. 

The big mistake most people make when trying vegemite for the first time is to spread it thickly, like they would jam or peanut butter. Start with plenty of butter and a light scrape of vegemite. Also for some reason newbies expect it to be sweet but, of course, it isn't. It's salty and umami but doesn't hit the other three tastes - sweet, sour or bitter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The big mistake most people make when trying vegemite for the first time is to spread it thickly, like they would jam or peanut butter. Start with plenty of butter and a light scrape of vegemite. Also for some reason newbies expect it to be sweet but, of course, it isn't. It's salty and umami but doesn't hit the other three tastes - sweet, sour or bitter.

We were in hysterics on one cruise which had a fair few Americans onboard, when one family was trying vegemite at breakfast. The father spread 3 or 4 sachets on his slice of toast. The expression on his face was priceless when he bit down into the toast. So funny. 

Leigh

6 minutes ago, possum52 said:

We were in hysterics on one cruise which had a fair few Americans onboard, when one family was trying vegemite at breakfast. The father spread 3 or 4 sachets on his slice of toast. The expression on his face was priceless when he bit down into the toast. So funny. 

Leigh

And you didn't tell them beforehand. 😁

6 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

And you didn't tell them beforehand. 😁

And miss out on the fun? 😀 We were too busy eating our own breakfast to notice what he was doing. It wasn’t until he very loudly asked his wife did she think he had enough vegemite on it, that we looked over and we saw how thick it was. He had bitten into the toast before we could say anything to him. 

Leigh

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, possum52 said:

And miss out on the fun? 😀 We were too busy eating our own breakfast to notice what he was doing. It wasn’t until he very loudly asked his wife did she think he had enough vegemite on it, that we looked over and we saw how thick it was. He had bitten into the toast before we could say anything to him. 

Leigh

Oh dear! 🤣🤣🤣

Half a sachet would have been plenty for a first try.

• Like 1