Oceania Losing Ground - Just Back From Marina

californiacruiseluvrs

I'm sorry your offended. Being confined to a wheelchair or walker is not a limitating factor in the definition of the term that so offends you.

I feel entirely comfortable allowing St. Paul Girl to make her own observations and draw her own opinions, on the multiple issues, based upon her upcoming O cruise. She'll be able to do so with out the biased opinions of people on either side.

Thank you Pinotlover!

We have travelled the world since both of us were very "young" and continue to do so as we enter the "better" years of our lives.

We are in our early 60s, have been retired for almost 10 years and appreciate all things in life.

You only get to live once, so enjoy, is our motto!

I didn't read all the comments, but got as far as the reviewer's and maybe 5 or 6 comments.

Everyone's different, but I agree that drinks should remain as is. I have on occasion priced out Regent and Crystal just out of curiosity, but the all-inclusive lines are not worthwhile for me, or for my husband, since we rarely drink, and don't do many ship's excursions.

I agree that Viking Oceans and Oceania are similar quality, although I really don't have a favorite. If I had to pick a favorite, I would pick Oceania, but more because of the value and price than the service or food. I love both lines, after sailing on Viking Oceans twice now and Oceania quite a bit. My last cruise on O (on Marina) was last year and while it's been a while, I can't imagine that it has changed much.

Everyone complains about the excursions; Viking gets its share of complaints. I'm grateful to have excursions offered by the ship as an easy way to arrange outings, and once in a while, they're the only game in town, so I'm especially grateful for them on those occasions! But most cruisers know that it's often better to plan and book your own excursion, even if you have a pay a little more for it. I personally like the O Life choice because I can use the free excursions and then book my own excursions (or just wander, rent a car, or whatever) the rest of the time.

I don't care about the personality or accessibility of the Captain. People rave about a Captain on an Azamara ship who slings hamburgers with the crew. I could care less. I don't even really want to be called "Mr. X" all the time by the room steward and assistant. As long as people are polite and do their jobs, that's good enough for me. By the way, the quickness with which our room is cleaned (how fast they get to it after we leave) always amazes me - and often we've been in an inside cabin, so it has nothing to do with cabin category.

So I don't think it's necessary to bash the original poster or anything, because, yes, everyone's different. I DO enjoy reading about the experiences of others. However, I did want to put in my two cents' worth here. I guess to sum it up, for the price Oceania charges, it provides an excellent experience. Those who are first timers, don't worry - you'll likely have a great time.

What an interesting thread this is. I've never been on Marina so I can't comment specifically on that but I've sailed Oceania three times - twice on Regatta and once on Riviera. I know that every cruise is different but my husband and I have not encountered an unhappy crew member nor heard any conversations between them about when their contract is up. Every crew member we have ever been in contact with on those 3 cruises has been very cordial, friendly and provided excellent service.

There are many reasons we like Oceania and one of them is that drinks are not included. I don't know anything about Regent's all-inclusive prices but I know I average two glasses of wine a day. Occasionally 3 glasses if I feel like getting a little crazy. No mixed drinks. I doubt that I'd get my money's worth for alcohol on an all-inclusive cruise.

We have been on many of Oceania's excursions and found them to be quite good. I do agree with the OP that the bus can take a long time to load and unload but that is a minor inconvenience.

We are considering Marina for our next Oceania cruise. We are eagerly waiting for them to release the 2019 schedule and would have no hesitation in booking Oceania again.

I find that comment offensive and ageist. O doesn't target families with young children, but the cruise we were just on had a wide variety of ages--including families. I didn't see a plethora of walkers or wheelchairs either.

I also found the comment offensive (and I am neither in a walker or wheelchair). Unfortunately, too many people believe that getting older will never happen to them. In other cultures, the elderly are highly respected for their experience and wisdom. In the U.S., they are sometime thought of as a nuisance.

While I do not wish anyone harm, in a way it would be eye opening for a younger person to have surgery on a knee, for instance, have to use a walker for a week or so and then a cane for a while. It changes your perspective greatly!

• Like 1

We were on Med. cruise in May, on the Marina. This was our 2nd cruise on Marina, previous was Baltic a few years ago. It was just wonderful. Excellent service and food. Wonderful young woman ( Aleksandra) in shore excursions group who made sure we got on the first tender in Monte Carlo for a 3rd party tour when the vendor was only willing to wait for us for 15 min. Fabulous weather, terrific itinerary, very good to excellent ship tours (our olife choice).

srdancer-

Aleks IS amazing and wonderful and we who have traveled with her love her. I think she speaks many languages and someday she'll be a Destinations Manager....she's just that good! (and yesterday was her birthday!!!)

A couple of observations. I just returned from a cruise on Marina and it was wonderful, BUT...

Familiarity breeds contempt. I am much more critical and observant than I was when I first cruised Marina back in 2012. There was the wow of no formal nights, no photographers, no art shows, awesome meals, service, furnishings, etc. which was a vast improvement from experiences on mid-range cruise lines I had cruise previously. Now, having done a half dozen O cruises I'm a bit more critical and the wow is more subdued.

Still a great cruise and I look past the few shortcomings.

I also don't have any desire to do any of the high end cruise lines that include alcohol as I don't drink, and as such I like OLife choice the way it is as it sets Oceania apart in a good way. It attracts clientele who don't drink or don't drink enough to find alcohol inclusive cruise worth the extra cost. Now I have looked at those cruise lines, and only Silverseas seems competitive for ME as I often cruise solo; as such their attractive low single supplements are enticing and still come out ahead in isolated cases. The only problem with that, and also with O's lower single supplements, is that they are often released much later than the 1.5-2 years in advance when I actually book cruises. So I have yet to actually book Silverseas; perhaps some day when I do a last minute thing.

While I do not wish anyone harm, in a way it would be eye opening for a younger person to have surgery on a knee, for instance, have to use a walker for a week or so and then a cane for a while. It changes your perspective greatly!
Well I am not a younger person, but just having had the ACL in my right knee replaced for the second time exactly 6 months ago I can tell you that a walker and cane never came into play as a result of my February 28 surgery or the previous one on March 18 2009. Crutches for 4 weeks and knee brace for 5 weeks did. While I don't, and never have used a walker, I AM a walker. About 2-3 months ago I returned to my usual daily walking of 8 and 16 miles a day and will be ready for ski season come November 28. Due to my injury and resulting surgery last season I only skied 48 days. Hopefully I'll be back to my regular 80 +or- ski days this coming season. After all I'm only 61 and it's difficult to keep up with my 75 year old neighbors who do 100+ ski days each year. :)

One will find people on any cruise or cruise line with mobility issues and also many more who lead sedentary lifestyles. In my limited experience I think you find a more active group of people on Oceania than many other cruise lines. JMHO

BTW Christian, the Jacque's Maître D and Terrace Cafe breakfast and Lunch supervisor is one stand out staff member who has always greeted me by name no matter where I see him.

I have to admit that I don't really care if the captain or other senior staff are personable, as long as they make sure we don't run aground/sink/generally stay safe that's good enough for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Agreed!

I am perfectly prepared to believe the OP. But I also want to caution them not to write off an entire line for one cruise.

In the early 2000's we discovered Seabourn (the original ships... 208 pax). The first cruise was... simply amazing. Never had I felt so coddled. The second cruise... everything was just as wonderful. Except the bar staff. Rude. Condescending. Sneering. It was like some kind of Boy's Club, and certain passengers weren't included. I don't mean when we are at sailaway and the bar staff at the Sky Bar is in the weeds and working their tushes off. I don't expect anything but an eventual drink. But when there are two other pax there in the afternoon, and the bartender is gossiping with the Bar Manager and never acknowledges me... and when he does 10 minutes later.. it's to just stare at me like"Spit it out" not even a greeting... that's not acceptable. My husband and I were shocked.

We learned that there was a middle-aged guy on bar staff they gave all the crap shifts to, and I heard them sneering about him behind his back. (Because we were apparently invisible, we heard a LOT of things we should not have) This guy always greeted us with a smile, and while his grasp of English was not the best, he made us feel welcome and wanted us to be happy. We learned to make sure we were there when he was, and not bother with other times.

My point (which I made vociferously in my crew assessment at the end of the cruise) is that the Bar Manager was tired, and burned out. That turned into contempt, and he spread it like the flu to nearly his entire staff. I also think that passengers on the same cruise can, for some strange reason, be treated differently and it has nothing to do with perception.

We didn't write the cruise line off because of the experience, and enjoyed many other cruises with the same level of service as the first.

Edited by Kate-AHF

We've received wonderful friendly service on all of our Oceania cruises. I'm not interested in anyone chatting me up, especially officers but we've had some friendly chats with staff and crew.

Some people love Azamara because officers interact regularly with passengers- I would take the Oceania product any day over it.

Viking is newly popular and they have a nice product, good food and new ships. But I'm not interested in the included excursions which are factored into the price. I don't drink enough liquor to want included alcohol which is factored into the price. Their itineraries are very basic.

Viking serves house wine and beer with meals and if memory serves me right so does Azamara. A nice touch but I don't think either product is as good as Oceania.

I agree with the OP on the laundry tokens, they are an inexpensive nuisance.

Oh dear. We are sailing on Nautica in two weeks' time. This will be our third O cruise. The food has always been more than excellent.

We would not be worried about the drinks as we don't drink cocktails or "mixed drinks"; only wine or beer so we don't take a beverage package.

We take the OBC for our O Life choice.

However, service and attitude of the staff is important to us. We will report here, on our return.

It is always good to hear others' views. Thanks for yours.

Don't worry! We spent 20 nights on Nautica in April/May and it was right there at the top of our best cruises ever. Top notch in every way. The ship is beautiful! We first sailed on Nautica (then R5) in 2001. then again in 2006 and it's just as nice today, if not better. Food was great and the service wonderful. And Captain Melnikov was a delight and funny too.

Have a great cruise!

Joe

Over 30 years I've been on 20 plus cruises on 9 cruise lines. Our December cruise on Riviera will be our first repeat cruise on a ship. I have not done a PH cabin so I can't comment on any heightened need for familiarity.

On all our trips I've never sought or received extraordinary cabin service, my wife and I have never had a relationship with our cabin steward and we could care less if they mention or remember our names; we've never had cause for complaint and that's all we seek - are we unique in not seeking more personal service?

In the Terrace on Riviera this January most of the workers we encountered were Eastern European and a bit reserved but certainly not problematic. Service in the specialty restaurants was cordial and professional. I'm at a loss to understand the problems experienced by the OP, but for us the passenger mix and atmosphere on the ship are, next to the food, the most important factor to our cruise enjoyment, so my opinion may not carry weight with the majority.

"However, imo, O's decision to replace gravies and sauces with runny tasteless apple sauce to accompany roast pork is a glaring example of their questionable moves. Gazpacho, stripped of all chilis and left to taste like unseasoned tomato soup is another example."

True gazpacho doesn't have chillies.! Maybe they have returned to original recipes.😀

We recently sailed a star clipper ship for a second time and it was very noticeable how different the crew were second time round.

Miserable,unbothered,tired.Our suspicions were correct as we found out the 6th day,that they were all unhappy with the Captain and Restaurant/beverage manager.The negative attitude had filtered down the ranks.Made the sailing less fun.

We are on Marina in January and very much looking forward to a great time.

We've received wonderful friendly service on all of our Oceania cruises. I'm not interested in anyone chatting me up, especially officers but we've had some friendly chats with staff and crew.

Some people love Azamara because officers interact regularly with passengers- I would take the Oceania product any day over it.

Viking is newly popular and they have a nice product, good food and new ships. But I'm not interested in the included excursions which are factored into the price. I don't drink enough liquor to want included alcohol which is factored into the price. Their itineraries are very basic.

Viking serves house wine and beer with meals and if memory serves me right so does Azamara. A nice touch but I don't think either product is as good as Oceania.

I agree with the OP on the laundry tokens, they are an inexpensive nuisance.

Agree with your post 100%

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

"However, imo, O's decision to replace gravies and sauces with runny tasteless apple sauce to accompany roast pork is a glaring example of their questionable moves. Gazpacho, stripped of all chilis and left to taste like unseasoned tomato soup is another example."

True gazpacho doesn't have chillies.! Maybe they have returned to original recipes.[emoji3]

We recently sailed a star clipper ship for a second time and it was very noticeable how different the crew were second time round.

Miserable,unbothered,tired.Our suspicions were correct as we found out the 6th day,that they were all unhappy with the Captain and Restaurant/beverage manager.The negative attitude had filtered down the ranks.Made the sailing less fun.

We are on Marina in January and very much looking forward to a great time.

You made us laugh. Authentic gazpacho does not have chilis. Maybe the negatives are imagined

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Gazpacho has peppers not chillies. :)

Ingredients of a true Gazpacho recipe, please notice "jalapeno pepper" which gives it a gentle spicy taste

• 1 1/2 pounds vine-ripened tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
  • Tomato juice
  • 1 cup cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
  • 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
  • 1/2 cup chopped red onion
  • 1 small jalapeno, seeded and minced
  • 1 medium garlic clove, minced
  • 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 lime, juiced
  • 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon toasted, ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, chiffonade

Thank you for posting your review, and I'm sorry this cruise didn't match what you'd previously experienced on Oceania. I know how difficult it is to come on Cruise Critic and say something negative, so I appreciate the opinion, especially from someone who has sailed on Oceania before.

I did mean peppers (jalapeño) instead of chillis. I doubt, from the taste, that it had any bell peppers, onions, or garlic either. Mostly just tomato sauce.

You are right, it's the jalapeno peppers and the garlic that give it that spicy taste.

As I mentioned before, for some stupid reason, when "dumbing down" food, some one with ZERO culinary experience always seems to say "get rid of the garlic" .

Anyway, great discussion. We hope that we are not going on a 21 day cruise that looks like a "meat and potatoes" experience!

Edited by St Paul Girl
spelling

Thank you for posting your review, and I'm sorry this cruise didn't match what you'd previously experienced on Oceania. I know how difficult it is to come on Cruise Critic and say something negative, so I appreciate the opinion, especially from someone who has sailed on Oceania before.

Agreed. It is tough to post a negative review. The job for readers is to figure out how much things might bother them.

For example, I want professional service and not need jolly introductions etc. But quiet courtesy, yes.

About specifics of food and recipes - hope that is as wonderful as ever! Of course, we might have to agree to disagree! Thinking about those who prefer self-service in the Terrace Cafe. Or don't like the pace of long dinners.

More reviews from recent trips needed! More voices. And people shouldn't shy away from talking about slipping standards or poor procedures.

I have been on Oceania 5 times and each time, the service and food was great. But the last time I did notice a difference in the cocktails. We always went to happy hour before dinner and would receive two full sized drinks for the price of one. But the last time, we noticed, the happy hour drinks came in smaller glasses and even when ordering two, it was was hard to know if there was much alcohol involved. We are coming back for a cruise in September so it isn't a deal buster, but if the food is less than spectacular, we will be going back instead to Crystal or Seabourne.

True gazpacho doesn't have chillies.! Maybe they have returned to original recipes.😀

Indeed! Proper Spanish gazpacho has bell peppers. It is not a spicy soup. You can, of course, make it spicy with a few drops of tabasco but don't make it with chili peppers!