Bayonne no longer home port for Summit???

C 2 C

Wow... surprised at the drive-time tolerance some are able to endure!

Four hours is about our limit. Give me the 30 minute drive to DTW and a hop over to EWR over a ten hour drive.

Either way, we'd be joining a cruise, so there is that! ;)

Six hours is our limit so far, that includes Baltimore. I would go on to say that even 10 hours in our car where we can stop at will, eat at will and more or less relax with no baggage limits or air fares and cancellation worries is more relaxing than even a one or two hour flight which often stretches into 5 or six hours of Airport TSA screenings, delays, baggage check in and out along with shuttles..UGH ..

I'll take the car LOL

bosco

Six hours is our limit so far, that includes Baltimore. I would go on to say that even 10 hours in our car where we can stop at will, eat at will and more or less relax with no baggage limits or air fares and cancellation worries is more relaxing than even a one or two hour flight which often stretches into 5 or six hours of Airport TSA screenings, delays, baggage check in and out along with shuttles..UGH ..

I'll take the car LOL

bosco

I agree. But as I get older I think my limit would be 5 or 6 hours. In the past we have driven to Charleston, SC (13 hours) and Fort Lauderdale (20 hours). Don't think I have it in me anymore. That's why Cape Liberty is perfect. We live 58 miles and that's long enough. LOL.

I agree. But as I get older I think my limit would be 5 or 6 hours. In the past we have driven to Charleston, SC (13 hours) and Fort Lauderdale (20 hours). Don't think I have it in me anymore. That's why Cape Liberty is perfect. We live 58 miles and that's long enough. LOL.

We are 3 from both Boston and NY/NJ and 6 from Baltimore. We have done Amtrak to Florida in a sleeper (never again), flown dozens of time to Florida and of course have the route to Baltimore permanently etched into my brain. Bayonne is barely a morning's drive for us and is why we so much wish there was a little more variety as to cruise lengths, itineraries and ships.

Now when we arrive home from what is always a great and relaxing cruise out of Florida, after our day of airport shenanigans we look at each other and wonder if it was worth it.

We are booked on NCL (our first) for a 14 night Caribbean cruise round trip out of NYC. We have a very large AFT veranda, a beverage package and specialty dining package and hope we are as happy with NCL as the folks on the NCL board seem to be. We can only wait and see.. Our first cruise on the Zenith in 2001 was an adventure and we hope this jump to another line will be equally as favorable an experience..

bosco

We are booked on NCL (our first) for a 14 night Caribbean cruise round trip out of NYC. We have a very large AFT veranda, a beverage package and specialty dining package and hope we are as happy with NCL as the folks on the NCL board seem to be. We can only wait and see.. Our first cruise on the Zenith in 2001 was an adventure and we hope this jump to another line will be equally as favorable an experience..

bosco

I have 2 good friends that sail NCL all the time. They love it. So I'm sure you will have a good time. Especially with dining package and beverage package.

We're about eight hours to FLL and 9.5 to MIA which for me is much better than flying to ATL and then to FL. We usually spend the night in Jupiter FL so it's only about 1-2 hours to the port on embarkation day. That enables me to use the vehicle for a liquor run from St. Maarten.

I bring back 13 ltrs of expensive stuff at about half of the local retail here. I've never been charged duty. I couldn't carry it back if I flew. And don't get me started on the plane's cattle section.

We drive to all ports Manhattan, Brooklyn, Liberty, Baltimore, Miami, Fort Lauderdale and of course Boston.

Manhattan is the most expensive one. It is $40 per day. Although it is extremely beautiful to sail from there.

I hope Celebrity will assign another ship to NJ or keep Summit.

We sailed on Breakaway which I believe is currently doing Bermuda. It is a nice ship, but has some flows... one is inadequate pool space for such crowds. Food is not Celebrity food, but is improved lately.

What do you think they are doing with Anthem. Cruises in December (other than Holidays) and January are dirt cheap. It's the nature of the beast. It's really only 2 months out of the year. My March 2012 cruise on Silhouette in an inside cabin for 2 people was $2,757.06. For this past January 2017 on Anthem, 12 nights balcony cabin on deck 12 was $2,245.42. Plus a 5 year difference.

My last year Bermuda 5 days cruise on the Anthem - Balcony - $1079 / cabin ( booked a year in advance), coming up 7 days Bermuda on Summit - balcony $2689. I didn't care for the Anthem, so doesn't matter what price they will offer.

Agree that Bermuda cruises are very profitable for Celebrity. Would be great if X will do R/T to Europe...

We are 3 from both Boston and NY/NJ and 6 from Baltimore. We have done Amtrak to Florida in a sleeper (never again), flown dozens of time to Florida and of course have the route to Baltimore permanently etched into my brain. Bayonne is barely a morning's drive for us and is why we so much wish there was a little more variety as to cruise lengths, itineraries and ships.

Now when we arrive home from what is always a great and relaxing cruise out of Florida, after our day of airport shenanigans we look at each other and wonder if it was worth it.

bosco

Not all NCL repeat clients are Happy. We've gone back to RCI. Much better company overall since the Oceania buyout and new management got ahold of NCL. Compensation packages for contractors and full employees much better and employees much happier at RCI. It shows at NCL. However, YMMV. I love to hear how repeat RCI/X clients think of NCL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My last year Bermuda 5 days cruise on the Anthem - Balcony - $1079 / cabin ( booked a year in advance), coming up 7 days Bermuda on Summit - balcony $2689. I didn't care for the Anthem, so doesn't matter what price they will offer.

Agree that Bermuda cruises are very profitable for Celebrity. Would be great if X will do R/T to Europe...

Bermuda trips are great profit for NCL, X, and any line smart enough to park the vessel for three days and save that of gas and expenses borne underway, and still charge same $ per night as a dynamic port to port schedule.

Not all NCL repeat clients are Happy. We've gone back to RCI. Much better company overall since the Oceania buyout and new management got ahold of NCL. Compensation packages for contractors and full employees much better and employees much happier at RCI. It shows at NCL. However, YMMV. I love to hear how repeat RCI/X clients think of NCL.

BFS,

We rediscovered NCL a couple of years ago when they offered an UDP (Ultimate Dining Package) and a Drink Package as a perk for one of their cruises. The food is wonderful if you eat every evening meal in one of their great alternative restaurants, lunch in the MDR, and avoid the buffet. The entertainment was top notch. We've cruised NCL four times in two years (Jewel, Jade, Getaway and Escape) and have a BtoB on the Pearl coming up in December.

Having said that, we may be done with their newer large ships as they are crowded, smoky and expensive. We did a BtoB matching the Escape and the Equinox this past June and paid more for the NCL ship, in an inside cabin, compared to a balcony on the Celebrity ship. About $300 more per person.

NCL now charges $99 for their "free" drink package on a seven night cruise; the UDP is up to $152 per person on a seven night cruise.

To upgrade an NCL cruise to compete with Celebrity, it's going to cost you! We may continue cruising their older, smaller ships, but it turns out, Celebrity is still a much better deal and a better experience. RCL just can't compete with these two in the food department, but their ships are great in many other ways. I agree that RCI (RCL, Azamara, and Celebrity) does a better job taking care of their employees.

Enjoy!

Kel:D

Edited by kelmac

RCL just can't compete with these two in the food department, but their ships are great in many other ways. I agree that RCI (RCL, Azamara, and Celebrity) does a better job taking care of their employees.

Enjoy!

Kel:D

I agree. We have done 4 RCCL cruises. We do it because they have Anthem in Bayonne all year long and what's a girl suppose to do who doesn't want to fly? Anthem's food has been a bit better in the Main Dining Room than what we had on Explorer and Liberty but their buffet for lunch is still no where near as good as Celebrity's. We even broke down and went to Johnny Rockets one day for lunch. Why can't they put out a better product? Can't they steal a few Celebrity chefs? I mean they are swapping other positions like, Presidents, Cruise Directors, etc.

I have a Summit cruise booked for October, 2018. If they switch out Summit for a non-M class ship, I hope they let us know before we buy our airfare! (which will be this November or so).

But I have an observation about the NY-area ports. I didn't realize that Celebrity makes STOPS (not starting or ending) at the Manhattan cruise terminal. I saw this on a repositioning itinerary from Southampton to the Caribbean - don't recall the exact terminus, but the cruise is called something like "Broadway and Bermuda". They spend an overnight in Manhattan at the Manhattan cruise terminal, not Bayonne.

I personally would not mind a switch to the Manhattan terminal in the future since we always start or end the trip with a couple of nights in New York.

I agree. We have done 4 RCCL cruises. We do it because they have Anthem in Bayonne all year long and what's a girl suppose to do who doesn't want to fly? Anthem's food has been a bit better in the Main Dining Room than what we had on Explorer and Liberty but their buffet for lunch is still no where near as good as Celebrity's. We even broke down and went to Johnny Rockets one day for lunch. Why can't they put out a better product? Can't they steal a few Celebrity chefs? I mean they are swapping other positions like, Presidents, Cruise Directors, etc.

If RCI starts taking Celebrity Chefs, Celebrity will become RCI - not a good idea.:eek:

I personally would not mind a switch to the Manhattan terminal in the future since we always start or end the trip with a couple of nights in New York.

Although for a port of call the N.Y.C. terminals offer a lot to visitors, it wouldn't make much sense to make the N.Y. terminals a departure or arrival facility. The RCCL's Bayonne terminal is one of if not the best place to begin a cruise. Bayonne has plenty of secure indoor parking (which is about half of the NYC rate), is just minutes off a major highway, close to a major airport, plenty of hotels with easy access to Manhattan via PATH trains for those wanting to spend time visiting, excellent check in system and an effortless boarding process from comfortable waiting areas to escalators that bring you up to the level of entry for your ship. For some ships the entire procedure is as simple as getting your cruise documents scanned by roving employees and then go directly to the ship.

bosco

The question was about cheaters on Summit. Lisa said that the new schedule will not make Summit attractive to Charters. She said nothing about Bayonne. The summit may stay therefor be move. Another ship may be sent there. She didn't say. She was only talking about charters from Bayonne on Summit. She was also asked about reducing the fleet. Her response was that the plan is to expand the fleet and no plans to sell any ships. She went further sayng that there are plans to upgrade M Class ships.

Although for a port of call the N.Y.C. terminals offer a lot to visitors, it wouldn't make much sense to make the N.Y. terminals a departure or arrival facility. The RCCL's Bayonne terminal is one of if not the best place to begin a cruise. Bayonne has plenty of secure indoor parking (which is about half of the NYC rate), is just minutes off a major highway, close to a major airport, plenty of hotels with easy access to Manhattan via PATH trains for those wanting to spend time visiting, excellent check in system and an effortless boarding process from comfortable waiting areas to escalators that bring you up to the level of entry for your ship. For some ships the entire procedure is as simple as getting your cruise documents scanned by roving employees and then go directly to the ship.

bosco

Yes, all that you say is true, and we love sailing from Bayonne. But for someone flying in, not from the Tri-state area, Manhattan is not terrible as it would be for someone wanting to drive there and park.

I would just like to know what ship (M or S) they have planned for our cruise Oct. 2018, because we are very picky about the cabins we choose, and will not take a cruise if any of our favorite cabins are not available, and I don't want to be stuck with non-refundable air when they decide to make the announcement.

The question was about cheaters on Summit. Lisa said that the new schedule will not make Summit attractive to Charters. She said nothing about Bayonne. The summit may stay therefor be move. Another ship may be sent there. She didn't say. She was only talking about charters from Bayonne on Summit. She was also asked about reducing the fleet. Her response was that the plan is to expand the fleet and no plans to sell any ships. She went further sayng that there are plans to upgrade M Class ships.

Thanks Orator. Love the "cheaters", don't you just love spell check?:D

So perhaps instead of Summit leaving Bayonne, the plan is for her to leave San Juan in winter. Those sailings are always the least expensive to book, hence the inclination to charter her out these past few years, instead of taking bookings at reduced fares. That would be a shame, as we love Puerto Rico and sailing out of San Juan.

Thanks for the info!

If RCI starts taking Celebrity Chefs, Celebrity will become RCI - not a good idea.:eek:

Celebrity hasn't really had a chef since Michele Roux and the quality, presentation and menu changes were evident almost from the day he left.

As far as the differences between X and Royal?? Over the 17+ years that we have been sailing both lines the great divide that existed back 12 or so years ago has slowly vanished, and the two are now more alike than different.

It is easily seen in the new ship design. The Edge will have the Magic Carpet, which is a novelty that in NO WAY will improve the quality of my cruise experience over the course of 12 or more nights. I compare it to the North Star on Royal where I would rather they poured the millions that this feature cost to design, build, operate and maintain into a better dining experience, better entertainment or something as simple as a few extra waiters and staff in the dining room or the lounges.

From what I have seen concerning EDEN I question if it will make my cruise experience any better? It seems to be something that takes a large portion of the ship to create a type of sideshow world that may be interesting for a day or two.

I am sure there will be plenty who enjoy what the Edge gives them and I am sure that I can always avoid the Magic Carpet as well as EDEN, I just wonder if these things should be given priority when other things like service, meals and even accommodations seem to be on the decline.

bosco