Is a 10:00 a.m. flight out of Fort Lauderdale doable on Disembarkation Day?

Ereggae

We've had afternoon flights our last several times out of FLL. But the last two times we found ourselves sitting at the airport at about 845AM waiting for our 1PM (or later) flight. Each of these times were after transatlantics. We have Global Entry and TSA Pre-Check just disembarked at our assigned time and collected our baggage in the terminal building. Celebrity seems to be getting their act together there. So with an earlier self disembark I think that you would be fine.

Edited by sasset
Clarification

We had an early flight out of FLL in March. Didn't self disembark but had luggage tag #2. Walked right off about 8:20 and instead of waiting in the long line for taxis took the shared bus that was right there and left before the next taxi even arrived. Was at the airport by 8:45 did curbside check-in for the luggage and was waiting at the gate at little after 9 am (even those that didn't have precheck got thru security in less than 10 minutes).

Well we've done it, hmmmm, maybe 5 or 6 times! We've made a 9:35 flight too. We just line up way ahead of the time they tell us (6:30-6:45-ish) with all our luggage and are literally among the first dozen or so to get off the ship. When the cruise is over it's over, we have zero desire to hang around in FLL or somewhere else another day or part of a day. We get a direct 90 minute flight home and gain back an hour and we can be in the house by noon.

Of course things can happen but we always can get a later flight. Hasn't happened yet.

I know what the cruise line and everyone says 'officially' and I know customs and other things can happen, but we roll the dice every single time and have always made it. We aren't nervous about making it or missing it, it doesn't 'ruin' our cruise, we don't worry about anything. There are plenty of flights home, we just prefer to take THAT one.

When I read the title, I had a good laugh. :D

Catching flights after a cruise there is a nightmare.

I actually find it to be the easiest airport I have ever flown to or from. Only cruised out of there 4 times, but every one of them a breeze.

Edited by champagne123

Of course things can happen but we always can get a later flight. Hasn't happened yet.

We aren't nervous about making it or missing it, it doesn't 'ruin' our cruise, we don't worry about anything. There are plenty of flights home, we just prefer to take THAT one.

If you are going to certain destinations and have the right type of air tickets this is true and it does take the pressure of getting off a cruise.

However, many guests have specific flight tickets (you book one flight, you miss it, tough!). Also if you are travelling across the pond and miss that first connection then you could end up in Chicago, NY, Washington.... for many hours for an onward connection even if you have the 'right sort of ticket' that has flexibility.

As cruisers from across the pond we either post cruise enjoy an extra day or two or if we need to get home we look at connections after midday....

Much as I value and understand the comments of the above post I have concerns that less frequent travelers may see missing a flight as the 'airlines problem' and 'not really an issue'. In many cases, however, the scenario of being delayed on leaving a cruise and consequently missing a flight, can have both financial and real travel repercussions for many cruisers.

I'd definitely take the later flight....even if you choose walk off.

You'll make the earlier one, but why put so much stress on things...too many variables beyond your control...

Last time at Port Ev we were among first in the walk off line...clearance was delayed almost an hour and they took suite guests off first...Lots of folks on line would miss their early flights that day!

The next flight is at 1:30 and I have to work the next day so this would be perfect.

10:00 is doable but 1:30 is advisable. If you choose the 10 AM flight, be sure to have a back up plan. Our last time into Ft Lauderdale, we got to the airport at about 10:45 AM due to a problem at the port. Our flight was at 11:15 AM and we barely made it in time.

Most people on a cruise think that gambling ends when the cruise ship enters U.S. waters.

But some people like to continue to gamble, making a high stakes bet on whether or not they can catch an early flight after disembarkation.

Most people on a cruise think that gambling ends when the cruise ship enters U.S. waters.

But some people like to continue to gamble, making a high stakes bet on whether or not they can catch an early flight after disembarkation.

Well, you just a hater cuz you not a high roller :D

We arrived once in Oct 2015 at the end of a 17 Night Infinity Panama Canal Cruise. FLL Airport was the worst part of the entire cruise. 2 hrs getting through customs, were US heading back to EWR.

Don't take the Celebrity Buses...ever. Long lines and way way way overpriced. Watch old TV shot's of the last US Choppers leaving Saigon. We were told by Celebrity that there were no Taxi's at FLL Cruise Terminal, all lies.

Taxis are about 200' to the left as you leave the Cruise Terminal, cost less than the horribly Celebrity Buses. Took us 1 hr to find these, damn you Celebrity.

I'm a seasoned World Traveler, we took the afternoon United Flight back to EWR. We hung out in the United First Class Lounge for a few hrs, very nice. We travel Elite Aqua 1 on the Infinity / Summit.

33287812702_14ff92bc9e_b.jpg

CaptDave

Self disembark with Celebrity is very easy. If your luggage has wheels, it's as easy as taking an elevator to the gangway and grabbing a taxi. We weren't time constrained but did it in Civitavecchia. Our only problem is that we left too EARLY and sat a train station for an hour before our train to Cinque Terre. I guess it was easier than we even thought.

Another option to consider, depending on the airline you are flying. Book the later flight, and when you arrive at the airport, ask if there is a chance of switching to the earlier flight. Sometimes, if there is room, they will allow it.

Another option to consider, depending on the airline you are flying. Book the later flight, and when you arrive at the airport, ask if there is a chance of switching to the earlier flight. Sometimes, if there is room, they will allow it.

If using this strategy, you would need to check luggage at the counter