Wine Question/Strategy

USCcruisecrazy

I have some of those too so I will probably bring a couple. I don't want to buy a wine carrier and I don't have a small roller dolly ("rollaboard").)

We bought this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M07LZG4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. It folds up so small that it fits in DH's 20" roll-on. Took a full case of wine bunged onto it when boarding in Venice last year.

We bought this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M07LZG4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. It folds up so small that it fits in DH's 20" roll-on. Took a full case of wine bunged onto it when boarding in Venice last year.

Wow. Thanks for the reference. I can get one shipped to our rental in Florida for November. Looks like a great Idea as it is so compact. I can see you have plenty of experience with all your cruises!!

Wow. Thanks for the reference. I can get one shipped to our rental in Florida for November. Looks like a great Idea as it is so compact. I can see you have plenty of experience with all your cruises!!

You're welcome! I recommend using additional bungee cords or straps to secure the box to the dolly. Cheers :champagne-toast:

[quote name=steelers36;54173993

I am going to do a case in January as we have a really long trip. I'd like to do two but it's too much to lug. My wish would be that we cruisers could select and pay for our wine at TOTAL WINE and they deliver a huge order of everyone's wine directly to the ship and it goes to our staterooms. They could create a partnership with Princess and even collect the corkage fee perhaps. Or even if the arrangement was to clearly mark each box with the number of bottles and then Princess could bill everyone without the boxes being torn open. I can dream' date=' right??? :cool:[/quote]

What a wonderful idea. Perhaps you should mention that to Total Wine. I know I will.

There's been times that we've boarded and the wine table had not been setup yet so we continued to board in the order called.

Not our fault that Princess didn't have it setup at that time.

My first trip on Holland. I had six bottles of wine in my carry on.

First, the security people told me that I would have to discard four bottles since I could only bring two aboard. I told them that was incorrect.

Second, another security person said I could take more than two but I would have to go to the wine table.

Third, another security person told me that Holland had not manned the wine table, I would have to leave four bottles with them and they would get them to my room. I told them that was unacceptable.

Fourth, I was told to leave my room number with a note saying I had take four extra bottles aboard and I would be billed and Holland would get four stickers in my room.

When I went to dinner that night the wine steward wanted to charge me corkage since I hadn't a sticker for my bottle. I explained what had happened but that I had not received my stickers.

Went to customer service the next day and explained the situation. Told them I wanted to pay corkage but I also wanted my stickers.

Someone brought me the stickers in about 30 minutes. Never was billed for corkage.

Yes, I know this was Holland but the issues were with the port security. Sure, I"m going to leave four bottles of wine with you.

We normally drive to the port. We only have two small carry on size luggage cases, the kind that stands up with four rollers. We don't do formal so that is plenty. I have your standard walmart backpack that holds six bottles of wine plus passports, etc.

I extend the handle of the carry on and sit the backpack on top of that case. I use a couple of bungee cords to secure it in place. Has worked well. Easily detachable to go through the scanners.

Since then, I've purchased this to use in lieu of the backpack:

http://www.wineenthusiast.com/6-bottle-waxed-canvas-weekend-wine-bag.asp

When we start flying, i will get one of these:

http://www.wineenthusiast.com/vingarde-valise-grande-04-tsa-approved-travel-case.asp

The last time I had a sealed up box and I told them how many and they gave me the stickers as I was concerned about the integrity of the box I got from Total Wine. Going to use a couple of wine bags next time I think.

That’s good to know! Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There has been some great info in this thread! I'm excited to make a stop at Total Wine on the way to our next cruise. I'm still debating whether to roll it or have DH carry it on, but you gave me great ideas & I'll be doing some shopping for a carrier. Has anyone had issues getting a wine bucket & ice in the room to keep a bottle chilled? I can almost taste that first sip out on the balcony at sailaway!

There has been some great info in this thread! I'm excited to make a stop at Total Wine on the way to our next cruise. I'm still debating whether to roll it or have DH carry it on, but you gave me great ideas & I'll be doing some shopping for a carrier. Has anyone had issues getting a wine bucket & ice in the room to keep a bottle chilled? I can almost taste that first sip out on the balcony at sailaway!

I don't think you will get one of the "fancy" ones on a stand used in the DR's. But you might get one of the pails they use for a bucket of beer special if you ask nicely at the bar.

OTOH, you can order a bottle of champagne for the room and they come in some sort of bucket, so maybe they will let you borrow one of those.

Just call RS and ask for a bucket of ice and glasses. During embarkation they may not answer the phone. Ask the room steward when he introduces himself/herself.

Chris, you can pre-order your wine and they will have it boxed up for you. You prepay for it and all you have to do is pick it up. This works well if you have an idea what you want and if you're somewhat stressed for time. Some have even reported their driver will wait for them.

I haven't tried this but some of their websites indicate that they will deliver at least within certain areas. I do not know if they would deliver to a hotel. For some of the hotels in Fort Lauderdale, Total Wine is within easy walking distance too.

Go to the Total Wine website and select the location you will be using. They have an excellent search engine to help you. Others, have reported that store employees give excellent advice as well.

We are new to Princess. Long time cruisers with RCCL. We are looking at a CA coastal tour. What about wine you purchase on a shore excursion. Can you drink it onboard?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You are not allowed to bring wine on board from excursion ports. However I hear that many people bring it on with no problem. That would be treated like 'one bottle each' from Home Port. Drink in Cabin; Carry a glass to MDR or pay corkage on the bottle in MDR.

You are not allowed to bring wine on board from excursion ports. However I hear that many people bring it on with no problem. That would be treated like 'one bottle each' from Home Port. Drink in Cabin; Carry a glass to MDR or pay corkage on the bottle in MDR.

Totally false. Not only is this untrue, but for the most part no corkage fee is going to be assessed on boarding. If brought to the DR, then corkage fee is applicable.

I'm pretty sure that it would be treated like additional bottles; in other words $15 each:cool:

That is the downside of avoiding corkage.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

ya ..lol. I guess one would have to be physically fit for that aspect of wanting to save on corkage fees. They would certainly miss out on the desert flight if their cabin is forward and four decks down so they got that goin for em':D The theme song for this adventure of wine retrieval is
Edited by c-boy

ya ..lol. I guess one would have to be physically fit for that aspect of wanting to save on corkage fees. They would certainly miss out on the desert flight if their cabin is forward and four decks down so they got that goin for em':D The theme song for this adventure of wine retrieval is

You could always resort to a wine rack or beer belly if you needed that second glass of wine bad enough. ;)