WARNING - Delta cancelling flights to and from San Juan and not informing passengers!

Thank you CruiseCritic!!! I was just on my roll call for the NCL Dawn sailing out of San Juan on DECEMBER 28th (3 months almost from now). Another cruiser said that he just randomly checked his flights for the end of December and for his return flight in early June with Delta, and BOTH flights had been cancelled and he was not notified by Delta. I checked my reservation with Delta and all appeared on the computer as fine, but when I tried to make a dummy booking on the Delta website, my flights were not there.

I called Delta and was told that my flights were cancelled two days ago and I was sent an email about it. Ahhh...no..I did not get an email and neither did the other person on our roll call. I think someone screwed up royally at Delta and did not contact anyone. We got the email two weeks ago saying we COULD change flights if we wanted to with no penalty, but we did not want to change. Anyways, the dozen or so Delta flights with connections down to San Juan from Toronto (our route, but the other cruiser had the same issue with flights for him too from another city) was consolidated into three choices and two of the three were already sold out. I was told the only available choice left will be full by tomorrow as well. What about those who do not know that their flight has been cancelled yet and find out to late.

Warning to all people flying to San Juan, even if your flights are months from now, keep a close eye on this. I know people are planning on going on the Adventure of the Seas and the Jewel out of San Juan, so you should confirm your reservations still exist.

Thank you CruiseCritic!!! I was just on my roll call for the NCL Dawn sailing out of San Juan on DECEMBER 28th (3 months almost from now). Another cruiser said that he just randomly checked his flights for the end of December and for his return flight in early June with Delta, and BOTH flights had been cancelled and he was not notified by Delta. I checked my reservation with Delta and all appeared on the computer as fine, but when I tried to make a dummy booking on the Delta website, my flights were not there.

I called Delta and was told that my flights were cancelled two days ago and I was sent an email about it. Ahhh...no..I did not get an email and neither did the other person on our roll call. I think someone screwed up royally at Delta and did not contact anyone. We got the email two weeks ago saying we COULD change flights if we wanted to with no penalty, but we did not want to change. Anyways, the dozen or so Delta flights with connections down to San Juan from Toronto (our route, but the other cruiser had the same issue with flights for him too from another city) was consolidated into three choices and two of the three were already sold out. I was told the only available choice left will be full by tomorrow as well. What about those who do not know that their flight has been cancelled yet and find out to late.

Warning to all people flying to San Juan, even if your flights are months from now, keep a close eye on this. I know people are planning on going on the Adventure of the Seas and the Jewel out of San Juan, so you should confirm your reservations still exist.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I called Delta and was told that my flights were cancelled two days ago and I was sent an email about it. Ahhh...no..I did not get an email ....Anyways, the dozen or so Delta flights with connections down to San Juan from Toronto was consolidated into three choices and two of the three were already sold out. I was told the only available choice left will be full by tomorrow as well. What about those who do not know that their flight has been cancelled yet and find out to late.

In answer to your questions above, Delta would refund them and they can (theoretically) rebook on another airline.

Any chance your flights were booked by a TA or through the cruiseline? If so, that is likely who would have gotten the email, not you.

JetBlue also cancelled the leg of my flight from FLL to San Juan. I did receive an email, and called back and was able to keep my flight to FLL Oct 20, and I now have a 6:00 flight to San Juan Saturday morning, 10/21.

No matter which airline you booked with, I think the OP's warning to keep a close watch on your flights is good advice.

The reason our Friday evening flight was cancelled is that it would land after dark, and JetBlue rep told me that all flights arriving after dark are being cancelled.

Also, check your airline's policy, but JetBlue is allowing 2 free bags per person as part of their San Juan waiver policy. I was able to save money by booking the most basic rate.

In answer to your questions above, Delta would refund them and they can (theoretically) rebook on another airline.

Any chance your flights were booked by a TA or through the cruiseline? If so, that is likely who would have gotten the email, not you.

Delta did offer to refund me, but to then book on another carrier myself, the cost is about 5 times what I originally paid Delta. Now if Delta were willing to pay for me to fly on another airline, then I could at least get a flight on the day we had originally scheduled and that would be better. Nope, we booked directly through Delta, so no reason why they could not notify us themselves.

JetBlue also cancelled the leg of my flight from FLL to San Juan. I did receive an email, and called back and was able to keep my flight to FLL Oct 20, and I now have a 6:00 flight to San Juan Saturday morning, 10/21.

No matter which airline you booked with, I think the OP's warning to keep a close watch on your flights is good advice.

The reason our Friday evening flight was cancelled is that it would land after dark, and JetBlue rep told me that all flights arriving after dark are being cancelled.

Also, check your airline's policy, but JetBlue is allowing 2 free bags per person as part of their San Juan waiver policy. I was able to save money by booking the most basic rate.

Glad you were able to get a new JetBlue flight and that THEY notified you of the change. No such luck with Delta notifying passengers to cancellations. I understand the reason for the flight cancellation if it is true about not permitting flights into San Juan after dark, but our flight is still 2 1/2 months away, so it would seem awfully premature to make that call by the airport for so far out.

Yet another example of airlines, poor customer service. I had something similar happen to me with American Airlines for our recent cruise out of Tampa. They cancelled our flights to Tampa and from Tampa and rebooked us on totally different later flights (that were inconsistent with our travel needs). They didn’t call it a “cancellation” but rather they classified it as a “flight schedule” change. Additionally as here, we weren’t notified about the “schedule change” until days after it had been done. Not sure why the refused to call it a “cancelled flight.” AA’s customer service wasn’t great either. Was a frustrating process trying to cancel our reservation and get a refund.

I had an American Airlines connecting flight changed 3 different times. Not once was I notified. It's not just Delta.

My advice, always check your flights. Make sure you have an app on the phone, and it takes only a few seconds to look at it, instead of Cruise Critic updates. ;)

I understand the reason for the flight cancellation if it is true about not permitting flights into San Juan after dark, but our flight is still 2 1/2 months away, so it would seem awfully premature to make that call by the airport for so far out.

Their ILS and/or runway & approach lights may be destroyed/damaged in which case they do know when they expect it to be operational again.

Did you check your spam folder?

Sometimes, even if you are getting other emails from a company, that something in the email triggers your spam filter and it ends up there.

And I have found Delta and United very good about notifying of changes. Even when a time has been shifted by only 5 minutes.

In my experience, Delta is lax on notifying people of changes (or cancellations) to flights. The best bet is to check your reservation online periodically (once a week when you're months out and daily as you get closer).

This exactly!! I am flying to Utah next week and Delta has changed my flight 3 times without notification. At one point they had me arriving in Salt Lake AFTER my connecting flight to St George. I always check the app on my phone at least once a week. So it's not just San Juan flights.

My Delta ATL-SJU 8:00am flight was cancelled on Dec 2. In fact all 8am flights were cancelled. No notification and it still showed in my account. The only thing I saw was that my seats were no longer selected. We re booked on the 10:00 am flight and have the option to fly on Friday. I wanted to make sure there were hotel rooms available first.

The agent said it was cancelled but still in my account. She said that is why I wasn't notified. I am assuming Delta figured demand for San Juan would be diminished, so they are trying to hedge their bets for full flights the rest of the day.

My Feb. non-stop flight from MSP to SJU was cancelled over the weekend. I booked it through Air2Sea and at that point they didn't know what was going on. Yesterday we were issued new tickets.

What I was told from Delta is they are limited to the number of flights into SJU at this time and if your flight has been cancelled they will put you on another flight regardless of what the cost is.

I will be keeping on top of everything!

No matter who your airline is......keep checking!!!

My Delta ATL-SJU 8:00am flight was cancelled on Dec 2. In fact all 8am flights were cancelled. No notification and it still showed in my account. The only thing I saw was that my seats were no longer selected. We re booked on the 10:00 am flight and have the option to fly on Friday. I wanted to make sure there were hotel rooms available first.

The agent said it was cancelled but still in my account. She said that is why I wasn't notified. I am assuming Delta figured demand for San Juan would be diminished, so they are trying to hedge their bets for full flights the rest of the day.

I had checked our Delta flights last week and everything appeared fine. (Nov/Dec) Well, thanks to this thread I checked again this morning. Flights all appeared to be fine with the exception of SJU to ATL was showing "choose seats" so I clicked on it. It then said "oops....no seat map currently available". So I went "back" and for this flight rather than saying "confirmed" it said "contact Delta". So Mr Ski contacted Delta. He was able to get us on a later flight the same day for the return. The agent told him they had not sent an email. She indicated that there are so many SJU changes they have a "call bank" and are working down the list to call everyone.

My Feb. non-stop flight from MSP to SJU was cancelled over the weekend. I booked it through Air2Sea and at that point they didn't know what was going on. Yesterday we were issued new tickets.

What I was told from Delta is they are limited to the number of flights into SJU at this time and if your flight has been cancelled they will put you on another flight regardless of what the cost is.

I will be keeping on top of everything!

No matter who your airline is......keep checking!!!

Interesting...when I called Delta today they only said I could get tickets for the following day (Monday). an extra hotel night wasn't in the cards for us plus I don't want the kids missing the 1st day back from spring break. I may need to call again :(

Their ILS and/or runway & approach lights may be destroyed/damaged in which case they do know when they expect it to be operational again.

I thought that may be a possibility, but not true. Delta has a flight from Atlanta landing in San Juan tonight at 9:41 pm, so the lights are fine now, and should be still OK in December.

Did you check your spam folder?

Sometimes, even if you are getting other emails from a company, that something in the email triggers your spam filter and it ends up there.

Yes, that was the first thing I did. No notifications in the SPAM folder.

In my experience, Delta is lax on notifying people of changes (or cancellations) to flights. The best bet is to check your reservation online periodically (once a week when you're months out and daily as you get closer).

Mine is exactly the opposite. I receive emails constantly from Delta when something has changed. Our flights to my parents' house for Christmas have shifted 30 minutes since we originally booked. I received an email notifying me of the change, and had the ability to change to a different flight at no charge if another time worked better. This has always been the case. Same for American when we flew to San Juan in June for our Adventure sailing.

I thought that may be a possibility, but not true. Delta has a flight from Atlanta landing in San Juan tonight at 9:41 pm, so the lights are fine now, and should be still OK in December.

Yes, that was the first thing I did. No notifications in the SPAM folder.

Did you book directly through Delta, or through a third party site? If the later, that could explain why. I don't ever remember getting an email about a schedule changed when I've booked through Priceline/Orbitz/Travelocity in the past. I find everything runs more smoothly when booking direct anyway.

I have a flight to Key West in a couple weeks for Fantasy Fest and Delta did the same thing... 5 full flights down to 1 during Fantasy Fest which, even with Irma, will be very busy. The airport and city is open. We didn't have seat assignments for 2 weeks and figured we'd never get them with only 1 flight. Every time we call, they said we'd get a seat at the airport... lol. Not if they only have 1 flight! All ended well as some seats finally came open, not sure how. But, DL was very difficult to deal with as no one knew what was going on. Even on the Diamond line.