Bucket List Ports?

ROBERTEVANOVER

Just peeking in to say if there's some serious "have to do it stuff" on your bucket list go ahead and Do It as soon it's possible.:)

DH and I had just started on ours with cruises to Alaska and Europe when, in the blink of and eye, his health changed and we were unable to go for more than a week at a time and now he can no longer fly. If it's possible to go instead of putting it off until "someday" do because you may not get that someday chance.;)

Sorry to hear that, but I agree completely - Mrs. BigWally is quite a bit older than I am and I can foresee a time where she's not going to be able to fly the distances required for visits to far-flung parts of the world.

On one Prinsendam cruise we cruised all the way up the river and docked in downtown Bordeaux....and that would be among our favorites.

Interesting. I am currently looking at this very ship and port. I like its unique itinerary. Thanks for mentioning it.

Summersigh, Sorry to hear that, but you are so right, do it while you can. This year we have been a bit grounded so look forward to many future trips.

I too need a bigger bucket, lol! Hong Kong to Singapore is definitely on the list!

Cruisemom, wow Palmyra! I am sure it was amazing. We were happy we saw Tunisia before. Agree about Venice one of the most beautiful sail aways or arrivals. I fear that too is endangered.

Hullo from Downunder! We sailed into Venice in 2014 and had two days there. I commented in my diary that the city is 'sinking'. Are the cruise ships tendering into port now, or still causing all those waves? Sorry, I do not mean to hijack the thread. Thank you.

fe

• 3 weeks later...
Just peeking in to say if there's some serious "have to do it stuff" on your bucket list go ahead and Do It as soon it's possible.:)

DH and I had just started on ours with cruises to Alaska and Europe when, in the blink of and eye, his health changed and we were unable to go for more than a week at a time and now he can no longer fly. If it's possible to go instead of putting it off until "someday" do because you may not get that someday chance.;)

Thank you for the very timely reminder and sage advice, summersigh. For my spouse and me, the "have to do stuff" on our Bucket Lists all revolves around family, So, in addition to taking various of our children and grandchildren on HAL cruises, we have treated ourselves and our extended family to regular vacations in your area of the world, Holden Beach. This year we'll be renting a (5-bedroom) beach house for 3 weeks and have expanded the invite list to include some of our siblings and very close friends. We hope to never have to say, "I wish we had spent more time with our family."

I have to say that my favorite port of call has been the Faroe Islands, a place I didn't even knew existed until I booked the VOV.! As for bucket list places remaining, it is really hard to choose a number one. I want to see Antartica, St. Petersburg, Greek Isles, the Northern Lights and on and on and on. Too many places and not enough time and money!!!

I have to say that my favorite port of call has been the Faroe Islands, a place I didn't even knew existed until I booked the VOV.! As for bucket list places remaining, it is really hard to choose a number one. I want to see Antartica, St. Petersburg, Greek Isles, the Northern Lights and on and on and on. Too many places and not enough time and money!!!
I really don't think a cruise would be the best way to experience Greece. The joy of Greek holidays is having time to mooch around at your own restful pace and spend long evenings of food and music under the stars, not have to work to a timetable.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Forums mobile app

My favourites are

Venice for the sheer drama and a great place just to walk around in what is almost a living Canaletto!

Vancouver ..not only is it a fabulous city but because I know I am going to see my daughter who lives there

Akaroa on the South Island of New Zealand...the sail in (and out) was stunning with the albatros flying overhead and the gentle sheep covered hills all around bathed in early morning light. The moment I knew without doubt I was a very lucky girl.

Bucket list.....South Pacific More of Australia, Cambodia and Vietnam and Antarctica (this one is booked for 2019).... trouble is I keep putting more in the bucket!!

• 5 months later...

My favourites are Santorini, the changing colours of the cliff with the white buildings and the zigzag road up. Sydney just has to be one of the most beautiful harbours with iconic landmarks, like the Harbour Bridge (coathanger) & the Opera House.

Bucket list - Venice & Alaska (although probably not a port)

Looking forward to going on Ovation of the Seas in November 2018, not sure if I'm a fan of extra large cruise ships, but if I don't go I'll never know!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A #! first Bucket List port visited would be Honningsvag, Norway and the North Cape since it was truly my first long cruise destination that I had "dreamed" about for many years. (Thanks to the brochures of Swedish American Lines, Norwegian American Lines, and Royal Viking Line.)

A Bucket List port that I have yet to visit, in spite of several visits to our magnificent 49th State, is Skagway. Every cruise to/from Alaska keeps missing this port. Maybe next year I'll get to visit? Why do I want to do so? I want to take the train trip up and down the mountain that the Gold Rush miners experienced.

#1 visited was St Petersburg. Someday would like to visit ports in Australia and New Zealand.

St. Petersburg was definitely a dream-come-true moment for me. I wanted to see the Winter Palace, I wanted to be able to walk up the Jordan Staircase and I did. But the absolute jaw dropping moment was the fountains at Peterhof and standing at Monplaisir looking out over the Gulf of Finland. It was more than I could ever express in words. I was awestruck the entire overnight stop in St. Petersburg.

Sept Iles and Baie-Comeau were unexpected delights, as was St. Pierre et Miquelon. I could happily go back and spend much longer in all those ports. And I wish HAL would bring back the itineraries that called at the smaller ports on the Canada/New England route, as well as going out to Newfoundland & St. Pierre et Miquelon.

The ports I still have to visit are Oslo, Copenhagen and Edinburgh. I'd also love to sail into Cobh (though I visited Cobh on a land tour in Ireland when a friend lived in Cork).

St. Petersburg was definitely a dream-come-true moment for me. I wanted to see the Winter Palace, I wanted to be able to walk up the Jordan Staircase and I did. But the absolute jaw dropping moment was the fountains at Peterhof and standing at Monplaisir looking out over the Gulf of Finland. It was more than I could ever express in words. I was awestruck the entire overnight stop in St. Petersburg.

I know what you mean about those "dream realized" moments. I remember feeling that way when, on my birthday 10 years ago, I was in the Valley of the Kings in Luxor visiting tombs that first entranced me as a child looking through one of those Time/Life books on ancient Egypt.

My other tour members noticed I had a smile on my face that was a mile wide the whole day. It was everything I'd imagined it would be. It took me 35 years to get there, but I'm so glad that I went when I did. :)

Wow, this is incredibly difficult :) #1 visited would be Istanbul for history, architecture, atmosphere) almost tied all our ports in New Zealand (for sheer natural beauty)

#1 bucket list...hmmm, Aqaba, Jordan to visit Petra, followed closely by so many others.