NCL from New York -March Break?

chachie

Hello everyone,

We are considering a cruise from NY with NCL for March break but have some questions. Typically we go to AIs for vacation but this year we'd thought we'd try something different. It should be noted that we've never taken a cruise before.

For those of you who took this cruise, what was your experience? Would you do it again?

Is a 1 week cruise out of NY enough for fun in the sun or do we lose 3 or so days sailing south and coming back? Would it be better to fly south to a southern departure port instead? Maybe you don't notice the lack of sun because those times are spent doing other activities?

I've read that the return trip takes you through some rougher seas. Was this your experience?

Ultimately, would this be a good candidate for a first cruise or would this potentially sour the experience for future cruise trips?

Thanks

Sorry, I didn't mention because I'm not sure which one we'll take. There are not that many, I think only 4. The ships are either the Breakaway or the Gem. I'm guess I'm more curious about the cooler March weather and how soon or how long until we are in bathing suits. :D

Hello everyone,

We are considering a cruise from NY with NCL for March break but have some questions. Typically we go to AIs for vacation but this year we'd thought we'd try something different. It should be noted that we've never taken a cruise before.

For those of you who took this cruise, what was your experience? Would you do it again?

Is a 1 week cruise out of NY enough for fun in the sun or do we lose 3 or so days sailing south and coming back? Would it be better to fly south to a southern departure port instead? Maybe you don't notice the lack of sun because those times are spent doing other activities?

I've read that the return trip takes you through some rougher seas. Was this your experience?

Ultimately, would this be a good candidate for a first cruise or would this potentially sour the experience for future cruise trips?

Thanks

My experience and that is all it is, an experience and an opinion. Last April we did take the Breakaway from NYC. We hadn't even thought "spring break" because it wasn't March. Well, the ship was packed, 2200 plus kids and the weather sucked the entire time. We still had a great time, but there were so many rude, and misbehaving kids on the ship it almost spoiled the vacation. Even the life boat drill was a nightmare. So, my advise, sorry, I don't think we would do it again. I will add, not all the kids were rude, but enough were to blow our minds and everyplace we turned there were kids. Our daughter, who generally rolls wiht the punches was taken back by the behavior more than anything. We saw kids going to the specialty dining rooms as late as 9pm. Most kids are thinking of bedtime by then. We saw kids in La Bistro getting up and wandering all over the restaurant. We saw kids cut in front of older people to get on the elevator. There was one poor lady, using a walker and she had the walker knocked out form under her by a couple of kids. Thank God her husband caught her. The worst part, the parents were standing right there and never corrected the kids or said to the lady, I am sorry. The kids were about 10 I would guess.

I do think the Gem would be a better cruise for a family than the Breakaway in the event the weather is bad. That was part of our problem. You would think a mega ship would have more public area than a smaller one, but this doesn't seem to be the case.

We have done both, spring break out of Florida and out of NYC> Out of Florida or New Orleans is much better and less hecktic.

My experience and that is all it is, an experience and an opinion. Last April we did take the Breakaway from NYC. We hadn't even thought "spring break" because it wasn't March. Well, the ship was packed, 2200 plus kids and the weather sucked the entire time. We still had a great time, but there were so many rude, and misbehaving kids on the ship it almost spoiled the vacation. Even the life boat drill was a nightmare. So, my advise, sorry, I don't think we would do it again. I will add, not all the kids were rude, but enough were to blow our minds and everyplace we turned there were kids. Our daughter, who generally rolls wiht the punches was taken back by the behavior more than anything. We saw kids going to the specialty dining rooms as late as 9pm. Most kids are thinking of bedtime by then. We saw kids in La Bistro getting up and wandering all over the restaurant. We saw kids cut in front of older people to get on the elevator. There was one poor lady, using a walker and she had the walker knocked out form under her by a couple of kids. Thank God her husband caught her. The worst part, the parents were standing right there and never corrected the kids or said to the lady, I am sorry. The kids were about 10 I would guess.

I do think the Gem would be a better cruise for a family than the Breakaway in the event the weather is bad. That was part of our problem. You would think a mega ship would have more public area than a smaller one, but this doesn't seem to be the case.

We have done both, spring break out of Florida and out of NYC> Out of Florida or New Orleans is much better and less hecktic.

Typically most kids in the NY/NJ area usually have the 3rd week in April,as spring break, regardless of when easter is. Last year, it butted up to easter, so pretty much every school in a 3 hour radius had off that same week.

I’d expect very few kids on a ship sailing out of NYC in March. Colleges here are usually off the first or second weeks of March, but sailing out of NYC isn’t cheap, and most college kids aren’t dropping $1000 for a spring break week. However, cruises out of Florida are much cheaper, so I’d definitely expect a college heavy crowd in March sailing from there.

For a first cruise experience, you are, in my opinion, taking some risks and must understand them.

1. Yes, your first full day and last day will be cool and not likely to be lay outside weather. If you are lucky, you might get a half day outside.

2. Rough seas in the Atlantic is common. You may be lucky and have smooth seas, but expect it to be a little rolling and windy. Once in a while it is really windy and a lot of motion. Just depends on weather.

3. We sailed first week of April 2015 which was a spring break week. Boy there were a lotta children. Luckily you can get away on Breakaway (lol) from it with plenty of quiet spaces and adult only spaces. One day we tried to hang out pool side. A group of children were running back and forth in front of us from the children's pool to their family 100 feet away. At one point one of them stops, turns and fires a super soaker water gun. Into my face. I marched down and loudly announced to the family that super soakers are not appropriate toys for a cruise ship packed with people. To their credit, they sent the boy down to apologize. But I think the adults should have apologized! By the way, the pool water is salt water. And therefore, so was the super soaker. So that's my spring break warning.

Easter break 2018 for most Long Island schools is the week after Easter (first full week). I would expect a

very large amount of kids this week. If you are talking March it might not be so bad.

It’s strang, we always got the third week in April off, this year we have the first week of April off too.

I would never blow 3 days of my spring break in cold weather. If I can't sit poolside with a drink, it's a hard day on a ship. Ships were really made for fun in the sun. Also, your itinerary is terribly limited when you can't get very deep into the caribbean. I would 100% fly to Florida for a better experience and for a better more southern itinerary.

We did Breakaway this past March break (last week). Embarkation day was freezing but did warm up by the second sea day. Water was cold in Cocoa Beach and Bahamas but certainly not unbearable.

We would do it again. There was plenty to keep us entertained on cooler days... but excited for late May next year and (hopefully) having warm enough weather to enjoy some outside time on sea days.

If you want a week of tropical weather, fly.. but if you're content to enjoy other aspects of the cruise it's still a good time 😊

Many Canadian schools have March break in either the second or third week of March. As NYC is driving distance from Ontario and Quebec, you will find many Canadian families on board. I can’t speak to the experience directly as I’ve not done it but we had friends who have and they had nothing good to say about it. Hearsay, but I thought it worth mentioning as they are normally very easy to please people.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A seven day cruise out of NYC is a Bahamas cruise, not a Caribbean cruise. Weather in early March can be very problematic. A cold front can come off the mainland and it never gets above 70 the whole week, or it could be nice and be around 80 for the middle three days of the cruise. If OP wants warm weather the best option is to fly to Florida and take a true Caribbean cruise. Costs are about the same that time of year (Florida cruises are always expensive in March because of spring break).

We did a 10 day from New York during the second week in March many years ago. It was awful. Have refused to sail out of NY since.

The seas were rough for 2 days out and 2 days back into NY. So bad that vomit buckets were stationed near elevators and in hallways. We arrived back into New York during a snow storm.

The actual islands we visited were lovely and warm but all I could think of was having to sail back into NY.

We now always fly to at least Florida if we want a cruise that is sunny and hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agree.

You will lose a day and a half there and back. But so worth it not to deal with airports.

it's so convenient to leave from NYC or Bayonne! i don't mind the cooler days either,, i just bought a windbreaker to wear on deck ... i love the wind in my face.. i guess that's from loving to ride motorcycles!

As for spring break... well my first cruise was out of NY in August,, lots of kids,, but it didn't bother me at all! don't sweat the small stuff:D

Hello everyone,

I've cruised from NYC on CCL, not NCL, but have done this in March, and yes, I would do it again.

When we cruised out of NYC to Florida and the Bahamas in March, there was a snowstorm the night before and morning of, but we were only in hoodies and sweatshirts for the first day and night. By the time we woke up on Day 2 we were south enough for it to just be a little chilly, and then by that night it was great South weather. We have also cruised out of Baltimore in December, and that was quite similar where it was quite cold the first day and then much warming when we woke up on Day 2, and then downright how once we made it to the Bahamas.

In March no, I did not think the return trip took us through rougher seas... it's just noticeably different from the smooth seas of the Bahamas. Now...that's not to say that you won't experience a weird storm. Coming back up in December to Baltimore we were behind a HUGE snowstorm that ended up dumping feet of snow in MD, PA, NJ, and north... we were with that storm from the time it formed in the Bahamas and missed Freeport because of it, and then it was a very choppy two days back up the coast.

Our second, third, fourth, fifth, and sixth cruises were all out of NYC, and I thought it was great. The ports can get a little old, but even then you start to experience things differently. Now when we go to Nassau we go to places that are off the beaten path and not visisted by tourists. We haven't ever been to Bermuda (we just booked that cruise for April/May next year), but my parents have and absolutely love it. The convenience of sailing out of NYC cannot be understated... we live in the Philly suburbs and we (my daughter and I) tend to take NJ Transit or Amtrak to NYC and then it's about a 12$ cab ride right to the port. We have also made a weekend of the NYC part too, booking a hotel somewhere in Midtown and enjoying the sights and sounds of Manhattan before the cruise the next day. Leaving can be a bit of a PITA, but only once have we ever waited more than 20 minutes for a cab.

Thanks

I was really hestitant about my first cruise, and it ended up being a short four night out of Port Canveral and it turns out we really loved cruising. It's a great way for everyone in your family/party to have the kind fo vacation that they want. I am also not much of a beach person, nor am I a drinker, so all inclusives aren't all that attractive to me. I can't say much about the ships NCL sends to Flordia and the Bahamas because we haven't been on them, but if you had questions about the ports, from NYC we have visited Nassau, Freeport, Port Canaveral (LOVED the Kennedy Space Center), Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay (CCL and HAL private island), and St. Thomas.

Typically most kids in the NY/NJ area usually have the 3rd week in April,as spring break, regardless of when easter is. Last year, it butted up to easter, so pretty much every school in a 3 hour radius had off that same week.

I’d expect very few kids on a ship sailing out of NYC in March. Colleges here are usually off the first or second weeks of March, but sailing out of NYC isn’t cheap, and most college kids aren’t dropping $1000 for a spring break week. However, cruises out of Florida are much cheaper, so I’d definitely expect a college heavy crowd in March sailing from there.

Incorrect. It's Canadian March break, NYC a six to eight hour drive from Ontario. Over half the ship will be kids. We did it three years in a row, but have since switched to AI's. Much, much more relaxing and better weather. If you can go to Roatan, do it!