High alcohol prices

runner15km

If you compare a Gin & Tonic on land or on ship, quality should be the same. But if you go into the more intricate drinks, many bars on ship are using concentrated mixes and juices instead of the real thing. It reduces cost and prep time. If a bar on land were to charge me those prices and used the pre-mixed stuff, they would never see me again.

dp

Then don't look behind the bar. :D

VERY few places make margaritas from scratch. They use sweet and sour mix, not lime juice

Same with most of the juice based drinks.

Like everything in business, it is a juggling act.

RCI would prefer NO packages, but people drinking a LOT. But it seems the math is, sell the packages, and most people do not drink enough to hurt. A few do (witness Carnival's 15 drinks per day limit). But most don't.

Same thing with everyone in the cabin having to get the package. If drink profits rise, this will stay. If drink profits go done (less people buy package AND don't drink much), the program will change back.

General way, raise prices until profits fall, then lower prices to get back to higher profits. And continue to adjust, as what is too high today, may be fine next month.

Constant adjustment of things is how a good business operates.

Chiming in here to say that yes, I think Royal's drink prices are very high. $10 for a basic cocktail is just stupid IMO. For those saying, well we pay similar prices at our local bars, I just don't get your point. So you enjoy paying high prices everywhere?

Since we started cruising with Royal in 2012, my basic rum and coke went from a reasonable $6.50 or so to about $10, roughly a 50% increase.

Dan

Edited by The Fun Researcher

I would prefer all drinks are free, but the point is that RC’s prices are in line with other cruise lines, resorts and higher end bars and restaurants. I don’t think anyone likes the prices ($20 for a martini pisses me off in Vegas) but you have a choice. Don’t drink. Personally, I think comparing RC’s prices to your local small town pub makes no sense

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Chiming in here to say that yes, I think Royal's drink prices are very high. $10 for a basic cocktail is just stupid IMO. For those saying, well we pay similar prices at our local bars, I just don't get your point. So you enjoy paying high prices everywhere?

Since we started cruising with Royal in 2012, my basic rum and coke went from a reasonable $6.50 or so to about $10, roughly a 50% increase.

Dan

Pretty sure a rum & Coke is closer to $8.

Not a bad change in 6 years

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Pretty sure a rum & Coke is closer to $8.

Not a bad change in 6 years

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

I may be wrong, but my prices that I quoted include the 18% gratuity. Maybe someone else can chime in for a basic rum and coke, or vodka and coke, etc?... (including tip)

Dan

I may be wrong, but my prices that I quoted include the 18% gratuity. Maybe someone else can chime in for a basic rum and coke, or vodka and coke, etc?... (including tip)

Dan

From a poster who is currently on Oasis. Drink prices at the Pub. And these are before the 18% gratuity.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=54726522#post54726522

Where are you getting drinks for those prices? You can not compare prices on a ship to a local dive or your local elks lodge. If you think those are prices at sporting venues, you haven't been to a game lately either.

The prices on the ship are comparable to restaurant pricing in any major city.

Sorry to say but both of you are wrong on prices ...they are higher than most restaurant and bars in our area as well and comparable to sporting venues.

What I see wrong from the cruise lines is that these are actually duty free so why so high ? Easy they want people to purchase the drink package it’s obvious.

I find that RCCL,Celebrity and NCL are the most expensive of all.

Eric

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would prefer all drinks are free, but the point is that RC’s prices are in line with other cruise lines, resorts and higher end bars and restaurants. I don’t think anyone likes the prices ($20 for a martini pisses me off in Vegas) but you have a choice. Don’t drink. Personally, I think comparing RC’s prices to your local small town pub makes no sense

If all drinks are "free", then the non drinkers are paying for drinks they never get. I like it the way it is, let the cheap people drink at home.

Just wondering if you had seen the drink menu prices on board MSC Divina I posted earlier in this thread, seems to me they are substantially lower: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=54619786&postcount=12

Also, I'm wondering why people keep comparing drink prices on ship with resorts. Does no one else vacation in All Inclusive resorts? It seems that most people from this area that vacation in the Caribbean are choosing to go to AIs. So drinks are included and one of the reasons that I hear from my non-cruising friends that discourages them from choosing a cruise for their vacation.

dp

Not all cruise lines - friends paid $26.50 on Allure for a bloody mary and a mojito. I assume he included gratuity when he told me. On a recent Princess cruise, the drink of the day was a lemon lime Mojito for $6.50 plus tip of 15%. Big difference.

Just wondering if you had seen the drink menu prices on board MSC Divina I posted earlier in this thread, seems to me they are substantially lower: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=54619786&postcount=1

dp

Have never sailed MSC cruiseline, however, the prices you showed are definitely cheaper than RC.

One thing no one mentions, especially with the frozen drinks. RC frozen drinks are often larger than what I have seen/purchased at land based bars. Also the price is usually very comparable. A pina colada or mudslide lasts a long time!

Where are you getting drinks for those prices? You can not compare prices on a ship to a local dive or your local elks lodge. If you think those are prices at sporting venues, you haven't been to a game lately either.

The prices on the ship are comparable to restaurant pricing in any major city.

The price of living is lower outside of major cities and a bunch of us live there. I noticed every time I get to a major city (Vegas, Miami, Etc.) I go into sticker shock. I live in Southern MI and our prices are $3-$4 for a tall draft beer. We bought the drink package just so that we had the whole trip paid for long before sailing.

Like everything in business, it is a juggling act.

RCI would prefer NO packages, but people drinking a LOT. But it seems the math is, sell the packages, and most people do not drink enough to hurt. A few do (witness Carnival's 15 drinks per day limit). But most don't.

Same thing with everyone in the cabin having to get the package. If drink profits rise, this will stay. If drink profits go done (less people buy package AND don't drink much), the program will change back.

General way, raise prices until profits fall, then lower prices to get back to higher profits. And continue to adjust, as what is too high today, may be fine next month.

Constant adjustment of things is how a good business operates.

How do you know what RCI prefers?

If you don't like the prices...don't drink? Personally, I think the specialty restaurants are a bit overpriced...so I just don't eat there.

That’s sorry to say is a stupid answer don’t drink ? You yourself don’t do the specialty restaurant because they are over price so we don’t tell you to not eat contraire you hot many other good choices of restaurant for free to choose from.

The drinking is different we don’t have e many other choices period.

Like I said the prices are like I would be at a sporting event but not just for 3 hours but for 7 days and that’s where it becomes to much.

That’s sorry to say is a stupid answer don’t drink ? You yourself don’t do the specialty restaurant because they are over price so we don’t tell you to not eat contraire you hot many other good choices of restaurant for free to choose from.

Like I said the prices are like I would be at a sporting event but not just for 3 hours but for 7 days and that’s where it becomes to much.

Then don't cruise.

Your choices are:

1) Don't cruise, go where the drinks are cheap. But most resort areas are similar prices.

2) Cruise, but don't drink. Eating is required to stay alive, drinking alcohol is NOT.

3) Cruise, drink, relax. You are NOT going to make the drinks cheaper.

If you don't like the prices...don't drink? Personally, I think the specialty restaurants are a bit overpriced...so I just don't eat there.

What was stupid about CruisingNole's post? They feel the price of the specialty restaurants is too high so they don't utilize them as they feel the restaurants are not a good value for their money. If someone doesn't feel that the drink prices are a good value then they have the same option. There is nothing stupid about it.

Not all cruise lines - friends paid $26.50 on Allure for a bloody mary and a mojito. I assume he included gratuity when he told me. On a recent Princess cruise, the drink of the day was a lemon lime Mojito for $6.50 plus tip of 15%. Big difference.
RC usually has a drink of the day for $7ish as well. Just depends what you order. I live outside Orlando so I'm uses to resort pricing but a recent trip to Vegas was eye opening. Almost $20 for a margarita.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

What was stupid about CruisingNole's post? They feel the price of the specialty restaurants is too high so they don't utilize them as they feel the restaurants are not a good value for their money. If someone doesn't feel that the drink prices are a good value then they have the same option. There is nothing stupid about it.

Thank you. We are all in control of our own wallets on the ship and alcohol is not a required purchase. If someone feels that it is, I suggest he/she seek treatment, because alcoholism is nothing to joke about.

Thank you. We are all in control of our own wallets on the ship and alcohol is not a required purchase. If someone feels that it is, I suggest he/she seek treatment, because alcoholism is nothing to joke about.

Just because someone wants to enjoy a few cocktails on a cruise each day does not make one an alcholic...........and please say Grace at your table, not mine!:*

Just because someone wants to enjoy a few cocktails on a cruise each day does not make one an alcholic...........and please say Grace at your table, not mine!:*

I never said it does. I myself have more than just a couple, actually. I'm all about the deluxe package!

What I said was that if you don't like the alcohol prices, don't drink. And if you absolutely HAVE to drink, I believe by definition, that would make oneself an alcoholic.

There is a big difference between having to have a drink and wanting a drink. I want a drink, but may not partake if it gets to expensive, or if I do, it will be few and far between.

It was stated above that it is no different than needing to eat, and no it is not. People don't have to drink alcohol to live, but they do have to have some sort of food.

There are plenty of free drink options, you are choosing to drink alcohol, so it really is the same thing. Don't want to pay the high prices for some drinks, drink the free ones. If enough people stop consuming, then prices will come down, it is the law of supply and demand.

I never said it does. I myself have more than just a couple, actually. I'm all about the deluxe package!

What I said was that if you don't like the alcohol prices, don't drink. And if you absolutely HAVE to drink, I believe by definition, that would make oneself an alcoholic.

There is a big difference between having to have a drink and wanting a drink. I want a drink, but may not partake if it gets to expensive, or if I do, it will be few and far between.

It was stated above that it is no different than needing to eat, and no it is not. People don't have to drink alcohol to live, but they do have to have some sort of food.

There are plenty of free drink options, you are choosing to drink alcohol, so it really is the same thing. Don't want to pay the high prices for some drinks, drink the free ones. If enough people stop consuming, then prices will come down, it is the law of supply and demand.

OK, I agree with both of you and all you said. We do get the Deluxe or what ever it is called, package so we don't have to worry about a huge bill and probably break even. We are on vacation, we are celebrating something special, and there is nothing better than seeing an afternoon movie with a cold coffee concocshion (sp) with whipped cream, carmel, baileys and a cherry on top. That's something we never do at home and I don't even know the name of it. Yummy! And a very nice afternoon!!

Friends?