Sunshine to Charleston

kybluecruiser

The Sunshine is not a new ship. It is the Destiny that went through a complete overhaul in dry dock several years ago and renamed. It was the ship that was stuck, disabled, out to sea. I sailed the Destiny in 2001 out of Puerto Rico. I believe it was built in either 1998 or 1999.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Went into service in 1995.

This is a good thing for me. Sunshine is one of the Carnival ships I have really wanted to cruise on and I haven't been out of Charleston since 2006, even though we live less than two hours from the port.

Even with missing on seven day iteneraries, I am perked up at the thought of a 9 day B2B and possibly the 11 day Journeys cruise.

I live in Charleston, and I'm thrilled with this announcement! I just off the Ecstasy last week, and sailing on her again in April. I appreciate the updates, but she has been my least favorite Fantasy Class ship I've sailed on. Now all we need to do is build a new cruise terminal and Charleston will be all set.

I live in Charleston, and I'm thrilled with this announcement! I just off the Ecstasy last week, and sailing on her again in April. I appreciate the updates, but she has been my least favorite Fantasy Class ship I've sailed on. Now all we need to do is build a new cruise terminal and Charleston will be all set.

I really think Charleston could support a cruise industry like Galveston if only they'd give it a chance.

I really think Charleston could support a cruise industry like Galveston if only they'd give it a chance.

I agree 100%. Unfortunately, change in Charleston comes really...really...sloooooowly. Especially proposed changes or updates in the downtown area. I’m hoping our new-ish mayor will really make a push to updating the cruise terminal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree 100%. Unfortunately, change in Charleston comes really...really...sloooooowly. Especially proposed changes or updates in the downtown area. I’m hoping our new-ish mayor will really make a push to updating the cruise terminal.

I read somewhere that one of the few remaining lawsuits (possibly the only one left) will be heard in court in February. If that goes well, we may see construction begin "soon" on the new terminal.

I read somewhere that one of the few remaining lawsuits (possibly the only one left) will be heard in court in February. If that goes well, we may see construction begin "soon" on the new terminal.

Yes, I’m hopeful for that too! It’s been in litigation for so long now, they’ve got to be close to finishing up.

I'm not sure that terminal will ever get built . When the local mafia finds out the Sunshine will arrive in 2019 the star wars will arise. :(. Also I get the feeling that the price to cruise from Charleston just increased even more so. Remember when Charleston had cruises stopping at Key West ? Carnival stopped that rather quickly ,seems Jaxport had a problem filling Fascination at that time.

So the experienced cruiser knows the further North on the east coast the more you will pay. I guess you Yanks have all the money :D ;p.

But something else is stirring the pot here , Carnival may well be stepping on their own stomping ground by building all their larger ships and then stressing to keep their moto up " We Sail Full ". So for those folks that enjoy the Fantasy class ships watch your prices ,there going to be even more so on the cheaper side :p

Either that, Panorama to compete with the MSC Meraviglia (Also Anthem & N. Escape) or just to spice it up Triumph or a possible "Sunhined" Triumph.

Keep in mind we don’t yet have a clear picture of what Carnival is doing on the West Coast either. I still think Carnival will increase its Australian inventory even if only seasonally - which might be a wise move given the arms race going on in Alaska.

May 2019:

Glory from Miami to New Orleans (confirmed)

Conquest from Fort Lauderdale to Miami (confirmed)

Triumph from New Orleans to Fort Lauderdale

Nov/Dec 2019:

Splendor from Long Beach to Australia/Seattle

Magic from Miami to Long Beach

Panorama to Miami

Fall 2020:

Excellence 1 to Miami

Horizon to Port Canaveral

I wonder what ship will go to Canada from NYC after the Sunshine makes its move to Charleston? I tried to do a mock booking to Canada yesterday and the website offered 0 cruises to our northern neighbor.

Agree. That is my only disappointment in today's announcement. Ecstasy and even Fantasy when she sailed from Charleston did the occasional 7 night cruise. The 4 nighter ain't gonna happen. We will probably book a 5 nighter at some point and the 11 night Journeys cruise is a done deal! :p

Agree. If I am packing, planning, etc 4 nighers just are not attractive for my personal taste. Too bad they are not mixing it up with some longer interesting itineraries ......Charleston would indeed be convenient

Agree. If I am packing, planning, etc 4 nighers just are not attractive for my personal taste. Too bad they are not mixing it up with some longer interesting itineraries ......Charleston would indeed be convenient

Yep. We did Sunshine's first 10 night Journeys cruise from Charleston in 2016 and it was a fabulous trip! We booked it very early (within days of it becoming available) and watched the prices just climb and climb as availability went down and down. They had no problem selling that cruise out and at elevated fares.

Either that, Panorama to compete with the MSC Meraviglia (Also Anthem & N. Escape) or just to spice it up Triumph or a possible "Sunhined" Triumph.

MSC Meraviglia only in NYC for 2 R/T cruises and 1 repo in October.. Perhaps they are testing the waters for future deployment. I sailed on Sunshine from NYC two years in a row. Would be very happy with a "Sunshined" Triumph;..

MSC Meraviglia only in NYC for 2 R/T cruises and 1 repo in October.. Perhaps they are testing the waters for future deployment. I sailed on Sunshine from NYC two years in a row. Would be very happy with a "Sunshined" Triumph;..

That's what I thought too, testing out the waters for future deployment. I also would be very happy with a Sunshined Triumph, sailed my first cruise on her in 2009 so seeing her 10 years later would be pretty interesting. Either that or we are getting Panaroma. Wouldn't mind the Magic but I don't think the Dream class fits correctly in New York.

I wonder what ship will go to Canada from NYC after the Sunshine makes its move to Charleston? I tried to do a mock booking to Canada yesterday and the website offered 0 cruises to our northern neighbor.

I'm hoping they continue this.

Count me in on being thrilled Sunshine is coming to Charleston! I sailed her when she was Destiny, but have been hesitant to book a 7 or 8 day cruise on her from PC (would rather spend vacation week on a newer ship). Charleston is my closest port...well, actually Norfolk is but the sailings are few and far between from there. I don't like Fantasy-class ships so I have never sailed from Charleston and always seem to miss the sporadic Sunshine sailings in the past. I can squeeze a 4 day cruise in over a long weekend on Sunshine. I never get off the ship in Nassau anymore, so I don't care where it goes. The 5 day goes to Princess Cay, which is nice.

I'm not sure that terminal will ever get built . When the local mafia finds out the Sunshine will arrive in 2019 the star wars will arise. :(. Also I get the feeling that the price to cruise from Charleston just increased even more so. Remember when Charleston had cruises stopping at Key West ? Carnival stopped that rather quickly ,seems Jaxport had a problem filling Fascination at that time.

So the experienced cruiser knows the further North on the east coast the more you will pay. I guess you Yanks have all the money :D ;p.

But something else is stirring the pot here , Carnival may well be stepping on their own stomping ground by building all their larger ships and then stressing to keep their moto up " We Sail Full ". So for those folks that enjoy the Fantasy class ships watch your prices ,there going to be even more so on the cheaper side :p

East coast cruises are purely supply and demand, fewer ships higher prices (and a limited amount of potential destinations). It is interesting that more larger ships are doing shorter cruises, the market they serve does have a saturation point. Actually the Sunshine is a perfect ship for these shorter cruises and also for Charleston.

Personally I would love to see them balance some of these shorter cruises with longer as well.

east coast cruises are purely supply and demand, fewer ships higher prices (and a limited amount of potential destinations). It is interesting that more larger ships are doing shorter cruises, the market they serve does have a saturation point. Actually the sunshine is a perfect ship for these shorter cruises and also for charleston.

Personally i would love to see them balance some of these shorter cruises with longer as well.

Sent from my ipad using forums

ok .