What happened to the organized check-in?

raz455

Our cruise is finally here! (That is the good news). We arrived at Terminal 2 around 10 am - no separate line for preferred check in - got through security kind of quickly and were next separated into preferred, medallion, and regular. The regular line had NO ONE in it, but we were told to stand in the preferred line that had about 20 people in front of us. Once we got checked in, we were directed to the elevator - what happened to the escalator? Not wanting to stand in a line of another 20 people, we opted to lug our carry on up the stairs to the preferred lounge, only to see the top of the escalator once we got out of the stairwell. After taking our seat, I double checked my card to discover that our club class, anytime dining had been replaced with traditional seating !!! But our card still reads Club Class??? So, once we get onboard, I will need to get this fixed. Conclusion - Not a good first impression of this trip so far. Princess really needs to get the kinks worked out of this new procedure. But, if this is the low point, I guess I can’t complain much . . .1st world problems!

P

You may have been directed to the elevator rather than the escalator if you had multiple carry on items; if you do not have one hand free you will be stopped from using the escalator at Port Everglades.

And if you are in a Suite or M1 Mini Suite you are assigned to Club Class dining. Just show up at that section tonight--or for lunch as you will be onboard in plenty of time. No need to rush to see the Maitre d' unless you really want the traditional desination removed (as you are technically taking up two spots in the traditional MDR that could be allocated to others).

Just don't let the Port Everglades ground crew reflect on Princess (though go ahead and rate them poorly on the cruise survey). Unfortunately too many of them think their position and training grants them quasi-law enforcement entitlements to boss people around. Just smile and say thank you--and do what your instincts tell you.

I do agree with the comment about the PE **** ground crew who are not Princess employees. We did a b2b earlier this year out of PE. A Princess crew member led us ashore to go through immigration and return to the ship. The crew member actually got into a confrontation once ashore before we got to immigration with one of the **** ground crew. It was quite noticeable to those of us following her that words were being exchanged. We have been to PE before terminal #2 and have never felt comfortable with their people. I wear hearing aids and sometimes they just don't seen to work all that well. :D

In every terminal we have been in, pax are only allowed one roller bag and a small shoulder bag on the escalator. More than that or obvious physical problems are required to use the elevator. The OP was not specific on what they were carrying.

Update: We are now onboard. Once we left land and were on the ship, the entire atmosphere changed. I checked with both passenger services as well as the dining room and we will be fine going to the Club Class dining. For some unknown reason, we were tied to my dad’s booking and, as a result, our dining was switched. At both places, the ship’s personnel said we will be very welcomed at Club Class dining. So, after that minor mixup, I am hoping we will have smooth sailing.

Regarding the elevator. I can only assume the terminal personnel were not directing anyone to the escalators because I never saw anyone coming up while were were there. My DW and I each had a rolling bag that we carried up the stairs. Hopefully, they started directing people to the escalator after awhile.

Right after boarding, we made our dining reservations at the Crown Grill as well as placing our names on the list for the Winemakers dinner. After that, it was time for a nice, first cruise lunch, in the Concerto Dining Room. This has to be one of the most popular “best kept” secrets around. The room was almost empty and the service was absolutely great. While I doubt I will be doing a “live,” we do have unlimited internet so I hope to be able to come back from time to time and post. So, if you have any questions . . I will do my best.

The internet speed is fantastic!

Happy cruising :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

... After that, it was time for a nice, first cruise lunch, in the Concerto Dining Room. This has to be one of the most popular “best kept” secrets around. The room was almost empty and the service was absolutely great. While I doubt I will be doing a “live,” we do have unlimited internet so I hope to be able to come back from time to time and post. So, if you have any questions . . I will do my best.

The internet speed is fantastic!

Happy cruising :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The lunch in the MDR on embarkation day is indeed a well kept secret. If you ask the staff they will tell you that no MDR is open and the only food is on the lido deck. In the past we have headed to Alfredo's for the first lunch which the crew seems to not mention as well.

Happy sailing. :)

The lunch in the MDR on embarkation day is indeed a well kept secret....... ... .. In the past we have headed to Alfredo's for the first lunch which the crew seems to not mention as well.

Which did you prefer - Alfredo or concerto MDR, and why? Trying to decide where to go on my princess cruise next year :)

Regarding the elevator. I can only assume the terminal personnel were not directing anyone to the escalators because I never saw anyone coming up while were were there. My DW and I each had a rolling bag that we carried up the stairs. Hopefully, they started directing people to the escalator after awhile.

Assuming can often get you into trouble, can't it? :confused: I would suggest that if you see something that bothers you or you feel could be done in a better manner, ask politely to speak to a supervisor and explain what the situation is and what your question or suggestion for improvement is. You may have a good idea that would be appreciated or find out why your suggestion isn't feasible or maybe find out the reason behind the problem. (e.g. The elevator is not available because someone has gotten sick and it is presently being cleaned. (It does happen rarely!)) If a supervisor doesn't show up or is rude or something similar occurs, then, then, certainly, write up the situation on the after-cruise survey so it can be addressed.

Tom

Good to relax and go with the flow until you have a chance to see what is what. Normally, the embarkation procedure at PE is very smooth and organized. The only problem is having to listen to those that feel they are privileged and bitch and complain the whole time.

You did not bother to mention the port where you embarked???That would be good to know as the staff may handle things differently in different places???

I guess you are not familiar the Terminal 2 (T2) references the main Princess terminal at Port Everglades.

As I remember, anyone assigned to traditional can officially switch to anytime (but once done you can not change back).

I believe you can always request to change dining, but there would have to be spaces available at a time and table size acceptable to you. You cannot switch if no space, but no reason not to be accommodated otherwise. That said, I don't imagine the MD would be amused with someone switching back and forth.

Some of our embarkation day experience on the Star Princess pre-dry-dock is confirmation of the posts here. The onshore experience was not great. However, due to reading this board regularly, DW and I rushed from the doorway on the promenade deck to our stateroom, but we didn't stay long. We made a beeline for the club class DR. Honestly I wasn't absolutely sure it would work, it was more of an interpretation on my part. Also it was only our second cruise ever, and on our first cruise we literally had guides (abbydancer and her DH), while this time, we were on our own. But plenty of back up possibilities. Lunch in club class DR was the start of a very pleasant embarkation experience. There was a "serenade" from the USS Iowa and a lovely sunset as we cleared the breakwater. In conclusion, disorder on land followed by paradise aboard.

Got off a ship a while back in PE and saw my bag ,went to grab it. Maniac came Screaming at me about fines and god knows what! I was so embarrassed! Our color was called ...some screw up with the port ,bags were not released . I did not know that! . A female coworker came over and tried to smooth it over. (Which I appreciated) I did yell back at him as in all you had to do was tell me ??? He had to be in his seventies I m heading for 60. Was waiting for him to call the state police and handcuff me!

On the other hand I remember the guy who made us laugh getting off the ship. ."Ok folks, vacation is over let's go back to work" while waving his hands to get off the escalator, the way he said it made everyone laugh!

Some of these people need a serious course in how to deal with the public!

Edited by Reader0108598