LIVE from the 2018 HAL Grand World Voyage!

Scrapnana

Hi Kathi,

Just found your blog - need stuff to keep me going until we get on the QE in San Francisco (combo WC segments with two self organized land months in between (Australia and South Africa)). Even with the weather in Florida, you were lucky you weren't trying to catch a cruise on 6th or 7th. The folks I know managed to make the cruise but that storm in the NE USA was a nightmare.

It will be fun to follow the Amsterdam (and Roy on Serenity) now and while we are on the QE after SF. I've just started a blog for our trip. Happy sailing!

https://2018worldadventure.blogspot.com

A request--I expect that sometime during the World Cruise Cunard will make an announcement of plans for their 2020 World Cruise. Can you post some kind of a heads up when that happens?

Thanks

Roy

I read somewhere (on one of the threads about world cruises) that HAL stores the extra luggage for you ... in the Club HAL area. Someone posted that they had seen it, and it was a sight to behold. Could someone on this WC possibly get a picture of this? Mr Chew & I would love to see it!

Fuerte Amador, Panama – January 10, 2018

Took the tender in to port about 9:30. I was in the first group that did not need a tender ticket (tendering started at 6am and there were a number of early excursions). It took about 15 minutes to get to port and another ten minutes to find the kiosk selling tickets for the Hop-on, Hop-off bus (there were no signs). By that time the next bus was scheduled for 10:50. I bought a coke and people watched to kill the time.

The bus was on-time and we drove through the old town of Panama City, the new high-rise section, past the huge mall (over 700 shops and 100 restaurants), and out to the Miraflores locks. I thought it was well worth the $25 cost. After returning to Fuerte Amador, I looked through the shops and bought a few souvenirs before getting in the long line for the tender (unfortunately some tour buses came in all at the same time).

Was back on the ship by 2:15 where I grabbed a sandwich for a late lunch and then to afternoon trivia – only three of us played. We had 11 correct and three teams tied with 15.

1) What do frogs have in their mouths that toads do not?

2) What does the average male have 3000 of?

3) What wine is named for a town in northern Portugal?

4) What is a group of ravens called?

After changing to go swimming, I watched the sail-away while enjoying my afternoon ice cream.

Then it was evening trivia time. We had a full team but only had 14 – the winning team had 16.

1) Who wrote “The Wonderful Wizard of Oz”?

2) Albert Einstein left Germany and taught at which university?

3) What was the first completely computer generated motion picture?

4) The name of which sport means “empty hand”?

5) Which of the Seven Dwarfs is last alphabetically?

I went directly to the pool after trivia and swam for an hour (very few people in the pool between 5:30 and 6:30).

Dinner was very good. I had fresh fruit, chilled blueberry soup, spiced shrimp with cheesy grits, and fruit flan for dessert.

The program was Fred Moore who is a comedian and magician. He did a number of good tricks.

Tomorrow is the first of eight sea days (love them). We gain back the hour we lost a couple of days ago.

I can’t believe that we have already completed one week!

Afternoon trivia…

1)teeth

2)facial hairs

3)Port

4)murder

Evening trivia…

1)Baum

2)Princeton

3)Toy Story

4)karate

5)Sneezy

Kathi,

Unless you got confused - the list I have has:

A murder of crows

an unkindness of ravens

Maybe all lists aren't exactly the same because of bird identification differences?

Just my two cents.

Carole

You are right. I wrote it down wrong in my notes.:o

At Sea – January 11, 2018

Promptly at 8:30 this morning there was hammering outside of my window on “my deck”. I peeked out the window put could not tell exactly what the two men were doing. No way I could get back to sleep with this so I got up to go to the Tahitian seashell lei making class.

We have onboard a group of Pacific Islanders that will have craft classes, ukulele and dance lessons, as well as cultural presentations on the area. I was one of the last to arrive and there was quite a crowd. They had little circles of shells that had been put together by hand. We strung them on black ribbon to make the lei.

When I finished I headed to the Crow’s Nest for out stitching group which had about ten present. Left at 11 to catch part of the lecture “Hollywood and the Stars” which was about how the movies have portrayed man in space.

Trivia was at 11:45 so I had to leave the lecture early. One of our team members has the flu and is confined to her cabin. We only had four on the team and had a total of 10 while the winners had 12. Afternoon trivia was cancelled because someone else booked the venue.

1)What is the collective noun for nightingales?

2)What dice game was created by a wealthy couple while on their yacht in the 1950s?

3)Which river runs through Baghdad?

4)Where was the energy drink, Red Bull, founded?

5)Hemoglobin is used in which kind of blood cells?

Time for lunch in the Lido. Met up with trivia partners Marilyn and Rodney and had lunch with them.

Another huge group for arts and crafts where we made a fabric travel purse.

Changed to swim but only swam for about twenty minutes when it got really overcast and windy (and a bit chilly) and I gave up.

As has become my habit, I stopped to listen to the piano player, Jamm, on the way to dinner. Tonight’s songs dealt with the 50s.

Another great meal. I had the French onion soup, Beef Wellington, and a caramel sundae for dessert.

Tonight’s entertainer was Martin Beaumont, a comedian. He was fairly good.

Another sea day tomorrow.

Trivia…

1)choir

2)Yahtzee

3)Tigris

4)Austria

5)red blood cells

I love sea days too but you pack so much more into yours! I really appreciate you relaying the trivia. I am finding out I know more than I thought! It has become a family dinner challenge: Kathi questions of the day!

8 sea days...bliss! Enjoy!

Hi Kathi!

I was perusing the HAL thread and came across this! I just want to wish you a wonderful cruise. We will be home this winter and I will enjoy reading about your adventures! Fun to see some familiar names from our 2016 HI/SP cruise! Have fun!!!