Sunshine Broken?

The Grumpus

How many posters can name all the Carnival ships that have experienced "propulsion problems" in the last few years? Some ships were repositioned so their slower speeds wouldn't impact longer 7 day cruises.

Let's start with Triumph, then Liberty, Valor, Dream, and Sunshine. Any others?

This is a not a knock on Carnival, other lines have issues as well. Considering how they operate these vehicles 365 days a year, I wouldn't be surprised that more ships have already joined or will soon join the "propulsion problem" club. I'd rather not be on one when it happens.

Vista recently had thruster issues which delayed sailing 3-4 hours for 4-6 weeks so they could work on it in Miami. (ship is only 1 1/2 years old!1) Fortunately didn't impact itinerary ....just departed on sailaway later and appeared to arrive earlier on disembark (last day) days

How many posters can name all the Carnival ships that have experienced "propulsion problems" in the last few years? Some ships were repositioned so their slower speeds wouldn't impact longer 7 day cruises.

This is a not a knock on Carnival, other lines have issues as well. Considering how they operate these vehicles 365 days a year, I wouldn't be surprised that more ships have already joined or will soon join the "propulsion problem" club. I'd rather not be on one when it happens.

Splendor

We had one on the Conquest during our March 2016 cruise. It shortened our stop in Montego Bay, but the issue was resolved there and the rest of the itinerary occurred as planned.

I've experienced this twice. Once on Carnival and once on NCL.

Most recently was last December on board the Escape. Captain announced a propulsion problem that had reduced our speed to the point that we had to skip our last port of call in order to make it back to Miami on time for turn around. Our port charges were refunded for Nassau and we were given a $50 obc per cabin for the inconvenience.

The first time was a little more dramatic. Our honeymoon cruise on the Paradise in July 2000. Boarded, did muster drill, went to sail away party then headed back to cabin. Were pleased to see our luggage had arrived so I started to unpack. That's when I felt that we were turning around (we had an inside cabin so couldn't visually check), something I hadn't encountered in my previous two cruises. I told my new hubby who had never cruised before that something was wrong.... soon enough we there's an announcement that they are having problems with the azipods and are returning to port to investigate.

So we go to dinner and really enjoyed our tablemates (this is back in the days of traditional dining) and the food. We went for an after dinner stroll on deck and watch the divers with their underwater flashlights inspecting the ship. We were still on deck when the Captain came on and began his announcement with "Ladies and gentlemen, the Paradise uses the Azipod propulsion system which works by...." ("This isn't good" I say to hubby). "... We have had a failure in one pod and need to go to dry dock to have it fixed. Your cruise is cancelled."

Yep - honeymoon cruise cancelled. We were able to stay on board that night to sleep before being disembarked the next day after breakfast. We were pretty devastated to say the least!

Carnival handled it really well though with multiple announcements keeping everyone informed and helping with alternative travel arrangements, etc. We ended up with a full refund for the cancelled cruise as well as a credit for a free 7-day cruise in the cabin category we had booked.

As an added bonus, we had booked our air through Carnival (first and only time I have done this) which ended up being a really good thing since our airfare was refunded as well. So we had a little adventure for our honeymoon and were able to fly using our refund and book a free cruise the following winter. We even decided to pay a $100 to upgrade to an oceanview. No hitches with that one!

Luckily that didn't deter hubby from catching the cruise bug!