This is either really funny or kinda sad...

Swells1

My kids are ages 16 22 23 27 and absolutely are not melded to their devices. They rarely post on FB and they know where the line is and never cross it. They are too busy working and studying and getting their degrees. They are very well educated and can see the nonsense of it all. Oh and the know where and what the Underground Cistern is as well as where Hadrians Wall and Hadrians Villa are located Right next to each other right? Lol

The only reason I post on cc is because it actually is anonymous.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well ... congratulations. You are the perfect parent with perfect kids.

Lol she's not kidding about that jewelry. I learned the hard way that sterling and now I guess gold (although sounds like hers was costume plated gold) should never be worn in the ocean and then into the ships pool

My sterling looked like pewter after I did it. Of course I got it back to normal once home and the woman at the larimar store in st Thomas clued me into using ammonia to clean jewelry.

So back to the triangle. On all my cruises out of NYC I have found that there is certainly a timeframe of an hour or 2 perhaps longer where internet is quite disrupted. Looking at the ships map confirmed that it was during our travels through the Bermuda Triangle. Magnetic forces I guess?

I tried to tell her it was probably salt water, pool water or a combination of both, but she wasn’t having any of that [emoji849]

I haven’t noticed any internet disruption other than the usual slowness and getting bumped off. [emoji16]

I wonder how many people think you need a passport to travel to New Mexico.?

On a slightly related but slightly different tack, I also wonder how many younger people are capable of reading a map since they have Google Maps on their cell phones that gives them detailed directions.

DON

Yes but there are a lot of people involved in developing, programming and making google maps happen. On the whole, we’re not as stupid as the OP would have us believe.

But, there does not seem to be any shame in displaying ignorance of basic facts. To the contrary, if OP had laughed at his co-worker ignorance or even tactfully suggested she bone up on basic geography: OP’s insensitivity would be a much bigger deal than his co-worker’s ignorance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well actually Bermuda sits at the tip of the triangle, so your square self doesn’t have to reshape to visit [emoji12]

That reminds me of one of these examples...

We were on the Carnival Pride sailing back to Baltimore from Grand Turk and the Bahamas. We did the Behind the Fun tour. There was a woman who was obsessed with the Bermuda Triangle. She asked everyone if we were sailing through it. She wanted to know what happened when you did. How you could tell? What should she prepare for? Could the Captain avoid it?

The guide on our tour tried to ignore her, but I couldn’t resist telling her that we were sailing through it at that very moment and we had sailed through it on the way down.

She wanted to know how I knew and I told her that I had read about it in a book I got in Bermuda. I also assured her - or tried to - that it was mostly myth and that there were some logical explanations for the things blamed on the mystery.

She wasn’t having it. She asked the engineer, the head chef, and finally the Captain who clearly had not heard these questions before [emoji16]

She said finally that she knew something strange had happened because all of her gold jewelry had turned silver. The expression on the Captain’s face was priceless. I wished I’d had a camera 🤣

Lol, would have been so much better if the Silver had turned to Gold.;p

Now I know she was in the Bermuda triangle as she had lost her marbles.:eek:

Just as an FYI and to bring up some trivia...

Some very popular well loved movies and tv shows from the 1950's clearly refer to being in Alaska as being out of the country

I Love Lucy reruns and the classic movie White Christmas come to mind

Purchased in 1867, became a territory in 1912 and a state in 1959

I wonder how many people think you need a passport to travel to New Mexico.?

On a slightly related but slightly different tack, I also wonder how many younger people are capable of reading a map since they have Google Maps on their cell phones that gives them detailed directions.

DON

A number of TSA screeners have rejected New Mexico driver's licenses because it "isn't a US state." Same for the "District" of Columbia and Puerto Rico.

Thank you. It took lots of hard work but it was worth it.

Btw...the Kardashians were a media creation aimed at an audience that couldn't see through it.

Wow ... arrogant.

I wouldn't know. I only know the name because 1 ... they're talked about all over the place, but couldn't name a one if the picture was in front of me and 2 ... they turned BRUCE JENNER into a woman. That's a lot of estrogen. :')

Yes, that is very sad.

Here are a few examples of the general lack of knowledge I've encountered when people hear I was born and raised in Hawaii -

How did you learn to speak English?

What language do they speak over there?

How tall are the trees that pineapples grow on?

and (drum roll) does Hawaii accept American dollars?

:o:eek::rolleyes::(

Worse. My Mother was from Hawaii. So we were over often.

So I at the airport in line at the Hertz counter. The guy in front of me is getting very upset with the lady behind the counter. It seems he understood his rental agreement allowed him to drive anywhere.

But the lady was telling him, using proper English grammar, that he could not drive to Maui (we were on Oahu). I caught her eye and shrugged.

Finally, she told hims, fine, if you want, you may drive to Maui (again proper English use of can versus may).

I always wonder if he ever figured out, that you CAN not drive to Maui, there are no bridges.

As for the pineapple comment, when I was in kindergarten in CA, the teacher asked us to name edible things that grew underground. I said peanuts. She told me I was wrong. I insisted peanuts grew underground. She stated she did not know if they grew on a bush or a tree, but definitely not underground. She made me sit in the back of the class facing the back wall. I went home and told my Dad (from Eastern NC and had grown and havested a LOT of peanuts). He took the next morning off and had a talk with the Principal and then the teacher. I got a public apology in the class. :D

Edited by SRF

Why do you think it's a fake video?

Why do I think it's a real video? Because I HEAR this out of people that age ALL the time. Have you watched Jay Leno's 'Jay Walk'? OMG ... adults that have no base level of information about the country/state/city/etc. of where they live.

Also Watter's World (available on You Tube).

There are a LOT of people that really don't seem to know much.

This is so confusing. A 2012 amendment "expires" in 2017 . . . five years. And the web cite provide calls it a minute . . . fake news if I ever saw it.

Did the so called minute expire on schedule?

Minute is the term used for the amendment.

Minute 319

Not that it existed for a minute.

I was sitting in a New York airport one day and overheard 3 older ladies talking. One said “What ever happened to Sue?”. One of the other ladies responded “She moved way out west somewhere, Ohio I think”.

Don

If you've never left NY, 500 miles can be way out west. This shaming is mostly stereotyping. I've always been excellent in Geography and made sure my daughter was too. At 24 months she would point out everywhere I've been on a glove including Taiwan and Singapore .

I am currently sitting here, listening to DH talk to his DS on speaker phone. She's leaving for Hawaii tomorrow, and she just verbally accepted an offer on some land she's selling. She told my DH that she didn't want to have to tell the realtor she'd be out of the country for a week! The timing of that comment is perfect!

Seeing Hawaii crop up on this thread makes me wonder how Hawaii can have US INTERSTATE highways. Of course, that question is a bit more puzzling when asked about Puerto Rico.

Although Hawaii's Interstate highways are not connected to those in the continental United States, they are built to Interstate standards. The fact that they carry an "H" number, rather than an "I" number differentiates them from the connected system of Interstate routes on the continental United States.

Although Hawaii's Interstate highways are not connected to those in the continental United States, they are built to Interstate standards. The fact that they carry an "H" number, rather than an "I" number differentiates them from the connected system of Interstate routes on the continental United States.

Hawaii having an 'interstate' was the reason presented for promoting the Long Island Expressway [the "World's Longest Parking Lot"] from state highway to Interstate.

Still does not justify calling a highway, no matter the standard to which it is built: "Interstate", when it clearly cannot be interstate.