What kind of liquor do you buy on the islands?

Seeya2352

Agree. Buy something local that you can't get back home. There's a liquor that they sell onboard - Sheridan's layered coffee liquor that we can't find at home. But don't do what we do - we rarely drink. Bought a really nice creamy coconut liquor one trip and by the time we opened it for the holidays - it was spoiled. Have had the same happen with Baileys.

Agree. Buy something local that you can't get back home. There's a liquor that they sell onboard - Sheridan's layered coffee liquor that we can't find at home. But don't do what we do - we rarely drink. Bought a really nice creamy coconut liquor one trip and by the time we opened it for the holidays - it was spoiled. Have had the same happen with Baileys.

Does that happen with all liqueurs? I have a bottle of unopened Sheridan’s that I’ve had for over a year.

Sorry. Hopefully not hijacking the thread.

What happens when you buy alcohol at a port? I know you can’t drink it on the boat but then when you get back to the home port, what must you do?

It’s be requested I pick up some Hennessy white if I find it when we cruise in March.

But will be lost at what the procedure is...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry. Hopefully not hijacking the thread.

What happens when you buy alcohol at a port? I know you can’t drink it on the boat but then when you get back to the home port, what must you do?

It’s be requested I pick up some Hennessy white if I find it when we cruise in March.

If you purchase it off the ship, it’s confiscated when you reboard, and you collect it the last evening. If you purchase it on the ship, it’s held for you until the last evening.

Then, you take it home - but not in any carry-on luggage, since it’s over 3oz. So, checked baggage only - which means you need bubble wrap just in case (unless you like Hennessy-scented underwear.) We’ve never lost a bottle, but my wife always packs sheets of bubble wrap.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Some stores, particularly in St Thomas deliver directly to the ship - they take your cabin number - and the ship stores it and delivers it to your cabin the night before disembarking. They do the same if you purchase liquor in an onboard shop. If you carry it back to the ship - they take as you reboard and return night prior to disembarkation.

Surprisingly I found Blantons in St. Kitts. A fine Kentucky bourbon, that is bottled about 250 miles from where I live. You can never find it at home. I messed upp and only got one bottle, I should have gotten four.

John Watlings Distillery ( http://www.johnwatlings.com/ )

We walked to the National Art Gallery of the Bahamas http://nagb.org.bs/ (pretty cool, small art museum) and John Watlings is a few minutes walk past it. Free short tour too. We bought rum and a really nice gluten free vodka.

I’m going to second this!

As Miss Violet said, a short tour and a sample cup of pina colada made with the Buena Vista rum.

After the tour you are given the opportunity to purchase cocktails and bottles of the rum. I recommend the Buena Vista and the overproof. Both are very good.

Does that happen with all liqueurs? I have a bottle of unopened Sheridan’s that I’ve had for over a year.

When I purchased Sheridan's on the ship they told me that it has a shelf life of 3 years and once opened should be drank within 3 months.

If you purchase it off the ship, it’s confiscated when you reboard, and you collect it the last evening. If you purchase it on the ship, it’s held for you until the last evening.

Then, you take it home - but not in any carry-on luggage, since it’s over 3oz. So, checked baggage only - which means you need bubble wrap just in case (unless you like Hennessy-scented underwear.) We’ve never lost a bottle, but my wife always packs sheets of bubble wrap.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Most of the liquors you purchase today at your local liquor store are in plastic - not much of a damage problem here.

But the good stuff bought in foreign countries (ports) is in glass.

Bubble wrap is great - but here is another idea take two plastic newspaper sleeves - wrap the bottle in

a hand towel bigger than a wash cloth and smaller than a bath towel. Put the wrapped bottle into the

first plastic sleeve and turn it around a put it into the second sleeve then simply wrap a loose full size bath

towel around put into the middle of your airline checked luggage and voila a perfect cushioned double

protected bottle safely on its way home. Never put two glass bottles together without a cushion or partition !

Some of the ships duty free liquors come in a cardboard enclosure or even a fancy wood casket - pretty

much ready to ship and go - best place in your checked baggage is the center cushioned on all sides -

avoid the bottom or ground facing side where external handling and shocks may be transmitted to the inside.

Successful school of transporting booze 101 --- graduated --- now you will have something to drink about.

Re: Cream based liquors.

Cream has a shelf life even if refrigerated and is shorten after opening the bottle.

Once alcohol has evaporated or diminished the cream will lose its life and become like sweet cottage cheese

pouring out of the bottle in chunks that are not appetizing at all. If you do experiment with this don't use expensive liquor.

Hello- fun topic! We always buy quavaberry on St. Martin. They have a larger shop in the shopping area and a smaller store near the docks...at least I hope they are still there. It is only sold on the island on makes an awesome coloda. Blender going and samples makes this a fun filled end to any day in St Martin. We then try to duplicate at home. We always pack sheets of bubble wrap in case of a need to buy something breakable. We have transported many many bottles with only one slight spillage issue. I have had more problems with exploding lotion bottles in my luggage!

I bring home a few more bottles than allowed whenever we drive to a ship in NY, NJ, or Baltimore. I always list my purchases correctly on the Customs Form and have NEVER been charged any additional duty.

I only buy liquors that for the most part are not available back home or are too expensive and where the duty difference makes it worth my while.

bosco