Taking Gem out of NYC - Mistake

perlmane

NCL is taking the Gem out of NYC and replacing it with the Dawn. Big, big mistake. This news has so many current passengers on the Gem right now very angry.

No mistake. Perfectly reasonable. You balance putting a bigger ship in NYC with putting a smaller ship. The market does not support having the Gem in NYC any longer.

Tell folks to calm down, the Gem will be back in NYC for many cruises - just look at the current schedules posted on http://www.ncl.com. People are getting crazy for no good reason without knowing what they are talking about. There are plenty of Gem cruises out of NYC from now into 2020. Tell people to stop being angry over nothing and enjoy their cruise.

New York is also getting Escape which is an awesome ship.

Boston area cruisers have had Dawn for a long time, and will appreciate having Gem for a change.

If people really prefer Gem, the Boston cruise port is just over a 3 and 1/2 hour drive from New York. The cheaper parking at the port in Boston will offset the cost of gas for your vehicle.

The Gem seems to have better features that the Dawn lacks like Great Outdoors

Agreed. All the more reason to give our neighbors to the north an opportunity to experience a larger ship with additional features you just mentioned. The Dawn has been sailing out of Boston for years. Many repeat passengers there looking forward to a "new ship'.. .

Totally disagree. Reality will prove otherwise.

Seriously doubt it.

With the Escape and Bliss coming to NYC, there will be much more interest in booking the new ships (in many cases, just because they are new). A smaller "secondary ship" is all the port needs.

Somehow I doubt this "big, big mistake" will actually affect bookings in any ways whatsoever.
It certainly won't affect any of *my* bookings. I have ZERO interest in cruising from NYC, ever.

Boston only has been served one ship, the Dawn for years and a change is good for them. Gem has been in NYC for years and switching to the Dawn, just 4 years older but with nearly identical pax capacity & crew ratios, speed & dining options - is a change, I wouldn't call it a "mistake" ... NY also getting the Escape with the Breakaway going out.

Sure, I will miss the Spinmaker Lounge, Bridge Viewing Room & Great Outdoors ... but don't spend a lot of them there, what's important - the staterooms, and, they are practically identical if not the same.

Different shows in the Starbust Theater ... 3X watching Blazing Boots, is enough. JMHO. And, for the Dawn, it's her homecoming. For our Canadian neighbors north of the border, NYC is easier to embark & disembark, I believe, in terms of transportation logistics.

dawn sounds cramped and boring

We sailed the Dawn a few weeks ago on a 10 day sail and found the ship to be spacious, well maintained and even stylish. While my recent preferences for a ship have tilted towards the larger, newer builds, like the Getaway/Breakaway, we found the Dawn to be a pleasant alternative.

Funny, how something can "sound like" whatever, and actually be in reality, quite different. I tend to formulate my opinions after I experience them, not be totally based on what I've read or heard from others.

Having sailed on both, I personally liked the Gem over the Dawn. However, from NCL's perspective, I'm guessing that moving the Gem to Boston allows them to utilize a newer ship on the Bermuda run there, and allow the Dawn to run the less popular Bahamas run out of NYC. Makes sense to me.

I wouldn't mind though if they decided to completely move the Dawn altogether. It'd be nice to have it sail out of Baltimore for instance.

Having sailed on both, I personally liked the Gem over the Dawn. However, from NCL's perspective, I'm guessing that moving the Gem to Boston allows them to utilize a newer ship on the Bermuda run there, and allow the Dawn to run the less popular Bahamas run out of NYC. Makes sense to me.

I wouldn't mind though if they decided to completely move the Dawn altogether. It'd be nice to have it sail out of Baltimore for instance.

NCL out of Baltimore would be great! parking would be a lot less!

NCL out of Baltimore would be great! parking would be a lot less!

Agreed, and it's a lot closer for me to drive to Baltimore than NYC. They could potentially get even more cruisers than they would with a second NYC ship.

Totally disagree. Reality will prove otherwise.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

Ships change ports all the time. This is not news. And I doubt reality will prove otherwise. People will welcome the change to have something different to try. How boring would it be sailing the same ship over and over again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been on both gem and dawn...twice dawn from nyc..and 3 times gem from nyc..dawn was years ago...had wonderful time...if i remember correctly they are both in the same category as far as passegers and crew..am leaving tomorrow on gem and looking forward to the additions since my last gem cruise in 2013..like osheehans and great outdoors.....either way they are pretty similar ships..and i dont think it will affect bookings. Ps to the chap that said he would never sail out of ny..i bet he would if he won a ten day cruise in the haven😎

Manaiacal...amen to that...aside from having your own 1000 foot ship we are all left to the whims of the "powers that be"...it would take a hell of alot for me to have a "bad" time on a cruise..aside from illness....or rain and 30 foot seas for the whole trip. Now i would really be disappointed if they replaced the gem with the minnow.😆😆😆😆