Why Chair Hog Bullies Proliferate

SargassoPirate

We just came off Harmony of the Seas and pool attendants would mark on tape the time they saw "reserved chairs" with merely towels, maybe a magazine and flip flops on several chairs). They would then walk by 30-40 minutes after marking the chair and would then remove the items.

Not sure if this was a pilot test project but we noticed his occurring on each sea day.

How about "reserving" using towels doesn't count. There's a little light on each chair which you can switch on after which it stays on for half an hour. That's your reservation, plenty of time for a visit to the cabin, pool or bar.

All the crew needs to do is remove stuff from chairs with the light off. Very simple rules, no discussion possible.

How about "reserving" using towels doesn't count. There's a little light on each chair which you can switch on after which it stays on for half an hour. That's your reservation, plenty of time for a visit to the cabin, pool or bar.

All the crew needs to do is remove stuff from chairs with the light off. Very simple rules, no discussion possible.

Until the batteries die only 10 minutes into your absence and when you get back, someone is in your chair. Now there will definitely be a discussion!

Until the batteries die only 10 minutes into your absence and when you get back, someone is in your chair. Now there will definitely be a discussion!

There's a special rule for that, which not many people know about because it's not in place yet. If by reviewing the cameras it is decided this situation actually took place, you get a free cruise paid for by the light manufacturer!

Looking at this from the opposite perspective, X risks losing someone's business because that someone becomes frustrated that they can never locate a lounger without a major hassle. I know there's no way of knowing, but wonder if hoggers spend more or spend less onboard than those who follow the norms of sharing resources.

A valid and interesting point. :)

Another good suggestion....Celebrity are you lurking? We've got some creative people here!

To be perfectly honest, I think we should take a photo of the loungers, add a description and post them on the Chair Hog bulletin board that Celebrity supplies. We would include the date, time, duration and if they return, their photo! Whatever they leave to "hold" the loungers would serve as evidence. The biggest chair hog each day would receive a prize and not be allowed to save a lounger for the next year! Celebrity...order that bulletin board now! Furthermore, you could only remove the year penalty by attending Chair Hog Anonymous meetings onboard to ensure that you never do it again!

They have mystery shoppers; why not mystery chair hog photographers? Just a thought! Also, if you want a particular lounger and have the premium drink package, why not offer someone a drink to move...hahaha...just kidding!

Disclaimer: I am not, in any way, an employee of RCCL/Celebrity!

Edited by Lastdance

Without charging anyone, I would propose that in the morning when all the chair hogs come out, the pool attendants just tell people they can only "reserve" one or two lounges. I'm sure that some type of control can be taken, I once saw a woman take 14 chairs in the Solarium in the morning and then disappear.

How about we take a photo or two of the hogs and post them here. Would we get banned :eek:

Charlie

I’m usually up and on a sunbed by 8 reading enjoying a quiet time. Husband follows on when he is ready. We have breakfast etc but never leave he lounger for longer than 45 mins or so. Of course if we have plans for the day we take pot luck. We are on the Reflection on 2/4 and can’t wait. We have only once been on a 2 nighters cruise from our home port of Southampton Uk.We like to make the most of the sunshine when we can. Have been thinking of a good place to sit/ lay and thought deck above pool. Not far to go if I need a dip to cool down !! Wherever you go in the world you always find sun bed hogging!. Thomas Cook announced today they are introducing a new scheme in some of their resorts. You can pre book a sunbed for the duration of you holiday and can choose where you want it ( limited availability) The cost 25 euros. !!!!!

Hi Alison:

Are you sure about your sail date/ship? We are on the Reflection as well but we don't leave until 2/9....

I like it! Or maybe a coin slot like a parking meter! :)

Hi Alison:

Are you sure about your sail date/ship? We are on the Reflection as well but we don't leave until 2/9....

UK dates are usually written day/month. Thus today is 30/01.

Your date reads the 2nd of September to me...

I like it! Or maybe a coin slot like a parking meter! :)

If they are going to spend all that money retrofitting the loungers why not just equip then with seapass card readers and charge for the time the loungers are used. All passengers get credit for 3 hours per day of lounger time and once that is used up charge the passenger's account $25 per hour. By day two all the former chair hoggers will be hogging the guest service line to complain :loudcry::loudcry:. That would be :'):') for the rest of us

Then the poolside chair hogs migrate to the theater in the evening to save multiple seats in a prime location. My wife and I always get to the theater early to watch the pre-show entertainment of one chair hog trying to save multiple seats while at the same time fending off others that want those seats.:evilsmile:

We share the same entertainment pleasure! You just have to see the amusing side of some things....

Last cruise I was temporarily using crutches or a wheelchair....whilst most guests could not have been more helpful two incidents stand out.

On one occasion we were at a very busy mast grill. Two gents were guarding a table for four, beer in hand and no food. My husband and I politely asked if we could join their table ( husband carrying burgers, me balancing on crutches). The reply was ‘no, our wives are coming’. Fortunately an elderly couple saw our problem and insisted they had finished their food and were about to leave anyway.....We ate our food and still no wives....We reckoned they were guarding eight sun beds by the pool...

The second occasion was at the sunset bar....I was in my wheelchair so we only needed one other chair. A couple were sat at a table with a spare chair with a handbag on it...When my husband politely asked if he could use the chair the lady tutted really loudly and looked all around to see if there was another spare chair anywhere before she reluctantly relinquished her bag’s seat!

We try not to get het up about these type of people and like you try to see the funny side...They must run their whole holiday as some sort of military campaign....First in the queue at airport check in, racing from taxi to hotel lobby desk incase they can can get a free upgrade, arriving at ship check in and bemoaning that their status doesn’t put them in front of everyone else with the same status!!! We enjoy the sun and a swim for a few hours here and there....we are happy to sit where we find a bed...We invariably find one somewhere!

could do like they do with the timed chess games.

Just have a button/clock and after 15 minutes (that should be the time limit), timer goes to zero and the chair is free to use.

We just came off Harmony of the Seas and pool attendants would mark on tape the time they saw "reserved chairs" with merely towels, maybe a magazine and flip flops on several chairs). They would then walk by 30-40 minutes after marking the chair and would then remove the items.

Not sure if this was a pilot test project but we noticed his occurring on each sea day.

Hey, that is a great idea! Like Meter Maids that chalk the tire to see how long a car is parked in the same spot!!!

I've adopted my own method for dealing with this issue. I simply removed the materials being used as "dibs" and take a seat. If/when (which is very infrequently) the offending individual returns and demands "their" seat back, I say very politely "this chair was unoccupied for over an hour and I'm sitting here now. If you'd like to leave your cabin number with the bartender, I'll arrange to have him call you when I'm ready to leave. Have a very pleasant day!". Most people stumble away, muttering under their breath.

LOL, I love this approach.

I generally look at them and dare them to say anything to me about it, as they know, I know the chair was unoccupied for an extended period of time.

A few have tried to talk back to me, until I got up out of the chair and approached them, they backed down. On one sailing one couple never looked my way again not did they even think about challenging me on chairs.

I say we must take it upon ourselves to manage this, all too often the offenders think they can and often times do, bully others in keeping their loungers... without response. This is one time I will not back down.. :evilsmile:

bon voyage

Though I know people hate the idea, I think that having to check out the pool towels with a swipe of your room key would help. That would at least cut down on the number of empty chairs that have a towel draped on them because someone was too lazy to put the used towels in a bin. As it stands now, the pool butlers have to wait 30 minutes before they clear the seat, even if you know the chair has been empty for an hour.

Celebrity could also number and assign the chairs (at least on the pool deck). First come, first served and you have to occupy the chairs to keep them. It would be much easier for them to police the 30-minute rule that way because 1) they could make the cruiser sign something that says they can only leave the chair empty for 30 minutes and 2) they would know who the chair "belongs" to at any given time.

I am going to add a slightly different twist. We cruised to Bermuda in the Summer 2016 on the Summit with 4 other couples. The idea of this cruise was for 5 couples who were good friends to take a vacation together. Someone got up early to save 10 chairs, not in a prime location close to the pool. While these chairs were not always occupied by all 10 people, they were never left totally unoccupied. No same chair was unoccupied for more than 30-45 minutes at a time. We split up to have lunch so we would not leave the chairs unattended. I do not consider this to be chair hogging and while people are always complaining if they cannot get a chair and there are chairs not being occupied, there are justified reasons some of the time if they are.