Why Chair Hog Bullies Proliferate

SargassoPirate

Though I know people hate the idea, I think that having to check out the pool towels with a swipe of your room key would help. That would at least cut down on the number of empty chairs that have a towel draped on them because someone was too lazy to put the used towels in a bin. As it stands now, the pool butlers have to wait 30 minutes before they clear the seat, even if you know the chair has been empty for an hour.

Celebrity could also number and assign the chairs (at least on the pool deck). First come, first served and you have to occupy the chairs to keep them. It would be much easier for them to police the 30-minute rule that way because 1) they could make the cruiser sign something that says they can only leave the chair empty for 30 minutes and 2) they would know who the chair "belongs" to at any given time.

Needing to resort to these measures shows how the demographics on X have changed,,...

I am going to add a slightly different twist. We cruised to Bermuda in the Summer 2016 on the Summit with 4 other couples. The idea of this cruise was for 5 couples who were good friends to take a vacation together. Someone got up early to save 10 chairs, not in a prime location close to the pool. While these chairs were not always occupied by all 10 people, they were never left totally unoccupied. No same chair was unoccupied for more than 30-45 minutes at a time. We split up to have lunch so we would not leave the chairs unattended. I do not consider this to be chair hogging and while people are always complaining if they cannot get a chair and there are chairs not being occupied, there are justified reasons some of the time if they are.

So would you have that someone go to the theater early and save 10 seats in the theater for the other nine of you to join later before the entertainment started so your group of 10 all can be seated together?

Edited by davekathy

The company has no interest in enforcing rules just as airlines do not enforce the carry on luggage limitations. The airlines can now offer you priority boarding so that you can get on to claim your own luggage space by charging you $$. By not having chairs available passengers are encouraged to pay for a private cabana. :(

a - in my experience, that is if one can get one to rent. No availability on sea days and low availability on port days...

bon voayge

Read the entire post. No chair was unintended for more than 30-45 minutes and they were nowhere near the pool. In addition, if we book as a group, we have every right to spend a sea day as a group as a couple looking for 2 seats at any point in time. Sorry, but differences in opinion are what makes the world go round!

Sorry bud. You are a chair hog. But, as long as you keep it on Celebrity, it's fine with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Don't like the sun and don't sit around the pool, so chair hogging is not something I've had a problem with. We are leaving for another cruise Saturday. I'm definitely going to take some time "chair hog watching". Sounds like it could be fun!:D:D

My concern with this is that you had ONE person go up early and save TEN chairs. Now, if all 10 of you went up and grabbed 10 chairs together that is great...but one person saving 10 is the definition of a chair hog.

Sorry, but nowhere did I say that I or we were up at the crack of dawn. In fact, most days it was 4-5 getting there at around9-9:30 on the deck above the Sunset Bar all the way to the front of the ship. And at no time were more than half of the chairs unoccupied for longer than 30-45 minutes. As far as entertainment, don't care where we sat even if was upstairs and 6 in one row and 4 right behind. A big difference to not getting chairs let alone together. This cruise was booked as a group and I guess people have different definitions as to what a chair hog is which is ok. Just don't think your own opinions should reflect on the general population.

An interesting thread with some creative(?) solutions.

As an Engineer, I thought of a rig whereby if no person is on the sunbed (butt-sensor) the bed would tip after 30 minutes, dumping the contents onto the deck. Then the Pool Butlers could use their squeegee-on-a-stick thing to rake all the items into a hole on the deck connected to a shoot that ends up in a large cardboard box in Guest Relations. Slight implementation issues remain.

Until the design of the Ejecto-Matic is finalized, a few modest suggestions:

1. Encourage Celebrity to include a page in the daily bulletin labeled: "Please Don't Be A Chair Hog", perhaps featuring an image of a pig with sunglasses, or something. That flyer could remind folks that sunbeds may NOT be reserved and items could be removed after 30 minutes (or whatever length of time makes sense). Note that many cruisers do not consider themselves hogs (have not even heard the term "chair hog"), don't feel "entitled" or want to be a bully, but could use a gentle reminder. Also therein, remind cruisers to put used towels in the bin provided.

2. Not withstanding the foregoing, have the Pool Butlers (who have gloves) remove any towel(s) left on a sunbed, if those are only items on a sunbed.

3. If there is any item on a sunbed that says "RESERVED", like a clip or sign, all items on the bed should be removed immediately by the Pool Butler. THAT is certainly being entitled and a bully!

On a similar topic, remind cruisers that tables in the Mast Grill and Spa Cafe are for eating/drinking ONLY. There are waaayyy too few tables to allow for card players, Knitting Korners and the like. Actually, I sympathize with those persons looking for a card or crafts venue. With the Edge-ification of the S-class ships could Quasar or Team Earth be repurposed as a room for Birds of a Feather (BOF) to meet for activities such as cards, games or crafts?

I am going to add a slightly different twist. We cruised to Bermuda in the Summer 2016 on the Summit with 4 other couples. The idea of this cruise was for 5 couples who were good friends to take a vacation together. Someone got up early to save 10 chairs, not in a prime location close to the pool. While these chairs were not always occupied by all 10 people, they were never left totally unoccupied. No same chair was unoccupied for more than 30-45 minutes at a time. We split up to have lunch so we would not leave the chairs unattended. I do not consider this to be chair hogging and while people are always complaining if they cannot get a chair and there are chairs not being occupied, there are justified reasons some of the time if they are.

Sorry, but nowhere did I say that I or we were up at the crack of dawn. In fact, most days it was 4-5 getting there at around9-9:30 on the deck above the Sunset Bar all the way to the front of the ship. And at no time were more than half of the chairs unoccupied for longer than 30-45 minutes. As far as entertainment, don't care where we sat even if was upstairs and 6 in one row and 4 right behind. A big difference to not getting chairs let alone together. This cruise was booked as a group and I guess people have different definitions as to what a chair hog is which is ok. Just don't think your own opinions should reflect on the general population.

Here are two of your posts. You said that someone got up early to save 10 chairs for the exclusive us of your group. I certain give you credit for having the nerve to post on Cruise Critic that you think it is justifiable act.

I agree that a group who wants to sit together, find chairs together, and are using the chairs are not chair hogs. Chair hogs claim chairs that they intend to use at some future time and then leave to pursue other activities. They are not sitting in the chairs and may never sit in the chairs. They are reserving them for future use. They do not care that others who are at the pool or the theater may not find a seat. The belief that they are more important than anyone else is the issue. If a group of 10 come to the pool, find 10 chairs together, sit in them all day and enjoy the pool; good for them. The problem is when one of them places items on 10 chairs and leaves until the group arrives four hours later. They are chair hogs! If you are not at the pool to stay, do not reserve a chair.

I agree. I've seen people looking for a place to enjoy their coffee or tea and all tables were full. Some of these table were occupied by card players, people using their computers or just talking to each other. Guess it's legal, but showsto em a total lack of courtesy to others.

Another place they do that which causes problems is embarkation day in the buffet waiting for the cabins to open. . Sitting there playing cards with no food while others are looking for seats.

Another thing that bugs me is people who come down to the pool, reserve seats and then go on shore excursions. Saw several people do that last Bermuda cruise when we had an early after excursion and lounged at the pool until we left.

Sorry to use your words but you said..."Someone got up early to save 10 chairs"

Solution for the group..if 10 seats are never needed at one time...use ONLY 5 chairs for 10 of you

5 go early and sit...

5 go have breakfast, do the gym or whatever...Then they return and switch...

Small groups are proliferating on cruises and hopefully not ALL do this!

Worse abusers however are ones who save a row in the sun and ones in the shade..... Double hogging....Seriously self entitled!

Some Solarium pool butlers do time unused loungers, remove items to security and leave a note that time was exceeded...Just need more consistent enforcement at all pools and lounger areas...

.....until your wife decides she needs two beds, one for herself and one for her glasses, book and towel!

My wife always commandeers the seat with the cushions leaving me to use the uncussioned sun lounger. All I need is my earphones in to drown out the snoring and convince the butler that we really don’t want disturbed for whatever he has brought us.

Something to do with the lunchtime wine probably.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk