Why Chair Hog Bullies Proliferate

SargassoPirate

On Oasis 2 weeks ago every day, including port days, 8 front row (pool) beds were reserved with towels. We saw towels on by 8.00 when we went for a turn around the deck. On port days the towels were still there, beds unused (towels weren’t ruffled) until late afternoon. I guess for when people came back from port. No staff ever moved the towels. I wasn’t particularly watching so didn’t notice when they were occupied on sea days as we tended to use our balcony.

A large travel company in the U.K. is introducing bookable sunbeds in 30 of their hotels (abroad). There will be a fee of €25 per sun bed per week! They say that only 20-30% of the total loungers will be bookable.

My wife always commandeers the seat with the cushions leaving me to use the uncussioned sun lounger. All I need is my earphones in to drown out the snoring and convince the butler that we really don’t want disturbed for whatever he has brought us.

Something to do with the lunchtime wine probably.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That lunchtime wine has a lot to answer ( or be credited) for!

That lunchtime wine has a lot to answer ( or be credited) for!

It became A nice issue the last RS we were in on the Silhouette as we found the porch and they kept us well topped up as they were so quiet. After that it was a quick retire to the balcony. It became very therapeutic.

well we are on solstice on March / April and I've been reading up a lot about 'chair hogs' on this forum

if wife & I go to the pool area and find many chairs with towels on and no-one sitting on them, I will ask the next people if anyone has been on the chairs in the last hour and if the say no-ones been on those chairs I will move the towels off so wife & I can use them.

well we are on solstice on March / April and I've been reading up a lot about 'chair hogs' on this forum

if wife & I go to the pool area and find many chairs with towels on and no-one sitting on them, I will ask the next people if anyone has been on the chairs in the last hour and if the say no-ones been on those chairs I will move the towels off so wife & I can use them.

Like, that is a bit f what is needed

It became A nice issue the last RS we were in on the Silhouette as we found the porch and they kept us well topped up as they were so quiet. After that it was a quick retire to the balcony. It became very therapeutic.

We hope to discover the porch on Reflection in about 7 weeks...we could do with some positive therapy....

A large travel company in the U.K. is introducing bookable sunbeds in 30 of their hotels (abroad). There will be a fee of €25 per sun bed per week! They say that only 20-30% of the total loungers will be bookable.

This already exists on at least one cruise line. Princess has a restricted area called The Retreat. This is a private section with somewhat deluxe loungers (sun beds) and dedicated staff to serve drinks or limited food items (at a fee). You can rent a lounger for as little as a half day or for a full cruise....but it costs around $40 per day. Another benefit is that its an adult only area.

But all this takes us back to what ships were doing back in the 20s. 30s. 40s and even 50s when you used to have an assigned deck chair (with a steward to provide service). In those days if you were in chilly weather your steward would bundle you up in blankets and serve hot bouillon.

Hank

This already exists on at least one cruise line. Princess has a restricted area called The Retreat. This is a private section with somewhat deluxe loungers (sun beds) and dedicated staff to serve drinks or limited food items (at a fee). You can rent a lounger for as little as a half day or for a full cruise....but it costs around $40 per day. Another benefit is that its an adult only area.

But all this takes us back to what ships were doing back in the 20s. 30s. 40s and even 50s when you used to have an assigned deck chair (with a steward to provide service). In those days if you were in chilly weather your steward would bundle you up in blankets and serve hot bouillon.

Hank

AAAAhhhhh.....those were the days....and the deck chairs were teak instead of plastic and most of the time they did not have cushions as I recall.

Hank

Home Lines in the mid-80's (when I started cruising) had assigned wood deck chairs and an assigned steward to take care of your needs, on cruises from Manhattan to Bermuda. When Home Lines was sold off is when I switched over to Celebrity; first Celebrity cruise in 1992.

To avoid conflict place hogs personal items on the deck and move the chairs to a different location. Then sit back in anonymity.

And the same ones who will knock you down in order to be 5' in front of you!! We have become a nation of self-centered and selfish individuals with an enormous sense of self-entitlement. We should be ashamed of ourselves.

Nation? No. These behaviors are not limited to citizens of only one country. Nor are ALL citizens of our country (or any other) rude, self centered and arrogant. I do agree that the loungers (and recognition of existing queues) bring out the worst in people afflicted with the aforementioned qualities. They should indeed be ashamed of themselves! They certainly know they shouldn’t be creeping around the pool deck at 0400 “reserving” loungers for 2 or 6 or 10. Yet there they are. And the pool staff rarely remove belongings that have been “reserving” loungers for an hour or several hours. I’m sure Celebrity has made staff fear negative ratings in our reviews, so we must do our part. As someone has already said, we must highly praise, by name, all pool staff we see enforcing the lounger rules.

Read the entire post. No chair was unintended for more than 30-45 minutes and they were nowhere near the pool. In addition, if we book as a group, we have every right to spend a sea day as a group as a couple looking for 2 seats at any point in time. Sorry, but differences in opinion are what makes the world go round!

So here’s the problem. You seem to think that because you booked a cruise as a group, your group should get to reserve loungers together for an entire sea day. There are over 2500 people on the ship, and only - let’s say for argument - 500 loungers. Many people on the ship (some of whom are also traveling in groups BTW) want some time relaxing in the sun on those limited loungers. Why do you think your group is entitled to effectively shut some of those others out?

I am so glad I do not have to worry about any of this chair hogging stuff. :)

Neither do I, for the most part, as going to the pool is the last thing I would really want to do, although I do out of coercion for about 15 - 20 minutes each day... then I go photograph art work around the ship which takes up a great deal of time wanted for this purpose.

bon voyage

I’m with you Bo and Texed. DH and I use two loungers on occasion, but we never remain in them more than 30 minutes. We never “reserve” them, and we never leave belongings (including used towels) on them when we depart. It is a little frustrating that we’ve sometimes been unable to find two loungers to use for such a short time. We could have relaxed for 30 minutes and departed before the chair hogs returned from their lunch, massages, or trivia games! But, like you, lying in the sun isn’t in our top ten reasons for sailing;)

After 20 years of cruising, this issue is kind of like 'the song that never ends'. Certainly I would love a fix and I agree it really comes down to having chair guards from the cruise company.

But before we get that! I want bathroom guards who make sure everyone washes their hands. I just don't get the thinking that it is okay. To me, this is the purest form of selfishness.

After 20 years of cruising, this issue is kind of like 'the song that never ends'. Certainly I would love a fix and I agree it really comes down to having chair guards from the cruise company.

But before we get that! I want bathroom guards who make sure everyone washes their hands. I just don't get the thinking that it is okay. To me, this is the purest form of selfishness.

Yeah a whole different breed of hogs (pigs)!:mad:

You can bet those will be at the pool or at the beach. Coming to a ship near you?

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/travel/travel-news/677829/Book-sunbed-before-holiday-Thomas-Cook-how-much

You can bet those will be at the pool or at the beach. Coming to a ship near you?

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/travel/travel-news/677829/Book-sunbed-before-holiday-Thomas-Cook-how-much

I hope Celebrity never does something this stupid! But where I sit I have never had a problem getting a lounger where I want in the sun. No not on our balcony.

Edited by davekathy

I think bullying is a strong word, but self-centered, egotistical, self-aborbed, rude??? These can all apply.

Isn’t bullying about control ? and isn’t a chair hog controlling who has access to a pool chair?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’m with you Bo and Texed. DH and I use two loungers on occasion, but we never remain in them more than 30 minutes. We never “reserve” them, and we never leave belongings (including used towels) on them when we depart. It is a little frustrating that we’ve sometimes been unable to find two loungers to use for such a short time. We could have relaxed for 30 minutes and departed before the chair hogs returned from their lunch, massages, or trivia games! But, like you, lying in the sun isn’t in our top ten reasons for sailing;)

I am like this too. 30 minutes up to an hour max is all I want to spend on a sunbed. I don't go looking at the crack of dawn so in most instances all I get a walk twice around the deck carrying a towel. I suppose I can count it as bit of exercise so not all bad. Then the awkward problem of what to do with the towel that has been on the journey with me?

How about a short stay area?

;p