Why Chair Hog Bullies Proliferate

SargassoPirate

Because Celebrity does not have a policy that they intend to fully enforce. Not sure they really care either. When people, in numbers, quit sailing due to chair hogs, that might get the 'suits' attention. Till then, only lip service if even that. Do not see that happening, so on the days you want a lounger, get up early and do as the Romans do when in Rome as the saying goes.

Very bad advise. Some people tip over real easy. Not worth the possible confrontation. That's the pool attendants job./quote]

And if the pool attendants did their job, there would be no Chair Hog Bullies.

I don't think the cruise lines, in general, are interested in enforcing much of anything unless it affects their bottom line - such as the prohibition about bringing on your own booze. That's why we see shorts T-shirts, and baseball caps in the MDR, "reserved" loungers, feral children running wild in the corridors and on the elevators, and lack of any semblence of line control when it's clearly needed.

All it takes is a little enforcement of the rules in already in place. The failure rests squarely on the shoulders of the cruise line.

BTW, I'm a fairly big guy and not easily intimidated by bullies and rude people, but I don't cruise to be the bouncer.

Very bad advise. Some people tip over real easy. Not worth the possible confrontation. That's the pool attendants job./quote]

And if the pool attendants did their job, there would be no Chair Hog Bullies.

I don't think the cruise lines, in general, are interested in enforcing much of anything unless it affects their bottom line - such as the prohibition about bringing on your own booze. That's why we see shorts T-shirts, and baseball caps in the MDR, "reserved" loungers, feral children running wild in the corridors and on the elevators, and lack of any semblence of line control when it's clearly needed.

All it takes is a little enforcement of the rules in already in place. The failure rests squarely on the shoulders of the cruise line.

BTW, I'm a fairly big guy and not easily intimidated by bullies and rude people, but I don't cruise to be the bouncer.

Agree. It just frost my stones when I read those that tell others to remove some one else's personal property. IMO it's horrible advise. But I don't have a dog in this fight as I enjoy the deck above and away from the pools and hot tubs. I am a lounge lizard and I elect to sit by the outside rail looking out at the water while enjoying the sun and my BP. I'm always strategically located close to the mast grill and mast bar.

• 4 months later...

Agree. It just frost my stones when I read those that tell others to remove some one else's personal property. IMO it's horrible advise. But I don't have a dog in this fight as I enjoy the deck above and away from the pools and hot tubs. I am a lounge lizard and I elect to sit by the outside rail looking out at the water while enjoying the sun and my BP. I'm always strategically located close to the mast grill and mast bar.

I agree. The pools are too hectic. Sometimes the bullies still make it to the sun decks, however, especially on smaller ships, I've found.

I cruised on Equinox in early May and once again found lots of chair hogs out in force. I went to a pool butler to ask for help and he sort of shrugged saying he left 30 minute cards and if I told him where I wanted to sit he'd watch that lounger for me and would clear the lounger after 30 minutes. I then pointed out a chair where there was just a pair of those cheapo rubber flip flops sitting under the empty chair. I said I'd like to sit there, but you want me to wait another 30 mins before you move the flip flops, even though there's already a card on the chair? At this point a woman sitting on a shaded lounger put down her book and walked over to say those were her flip flops saving her sun lounger. My DH was mortified when I asked the woman if she had a special ability to occupy two loungers at the same time. The woman picked up her flip flops and walked away.

There must have been lots of complaints that first day because after that day there were way more pool butlers monitoring the deck for deserted loungers. I'd never seen so many before and the result was that people stopped leaving their belongings on the deck chairs. We had absolutely no trouble finding a lounger for the rest of the cruise. I'm convinced that visibly monitoring the deck took care of the problem. I hope fellow passengers continue to speak up so that Celebrity continues to address this need.

Because Celebrity does not have a policy that they intend to fully enforce. Not sure they really care either. When people, in numbers, quit sailing due to chair hogs, that might get the 'suits' attention. Till then, only lip service if even that. Do not see that happening, so on the days you want a lounger, get up early and do as the Romans do when in Rome as the saying goes.

We have talked to some of the crew on X (including one who is a true friend) and have been told that Pool Butlers (staff that works the pool deck) are told to try and avoid any confrontation with passengers. That policy does conflict with the 30 minute policy on leaving stuff on a chair (after 30 minutes goods will be removed and you can claim it at lost and found).. As passengers we also have no interest in confrontation....unless we cannot find a lounger/chair...and see many that are empty with "stuff" used to reserve. If we see a chair empty for a half hour we will simply take it! Any personal items are simply turned over to a Pool Butler with a comment like "somebody left this stuff."

As to getting up early, on most sea days I am up very early (DW is still sleeping) and will usually be in a deck chair by 7AM. We take some very long cruises (more than a month) and this is my norm. One day, around noon, a lady came over to me and suggested we give up our chairs to her...since we had been there a long time. She got quite angry when I just started laughing out loud (ROFL would have been appropriate). She argues that we should be willing to "share" our chairs. Go figure.

Hank

I cruised on Equinox in early May and once again found lots of chair hogs out in force. I went to a pool butler to ask for help and he sort of shrugged saying he left 30 minute cards and if I told him where I wanted to sit he'd watch that lounger for me and would clear the lounger after 30 minutes. I then pointed out a chair where there was just a pair of those cheapo rubber flip flops sitting under the empty chair. I said I'd like to sit there, but you want me to wait another 30 mins before you move the flip flops, even though there's already a card on the chair? At this point a woman sitting on a shaded lounger put down her book and walked over to say those were her flip flops saving her sun lounger. My DH was mortified when I asked the woman if she had a special ability to occupy two loungers at the same time. The woman picked up her flip flops and walked away.

There must have been lots of complaints that first day because after that day there were way more pool butlers monitoring the deck for deserted loungers. I'd never seen so many before and the result was that people stopped leaving their belongings on the deck chairs. We had absolutely no trouble finding a lounger for the rest of the cruise. I'm convinced that visibly monitoring the deck took care of the problem. I hope fellow passengers continue to speak up so that Celebrity continues to address this need.

This is an old inactive thread..until you resurrected it! As for us. We'll scout around & wait the 30 min. Afterwards I just remove the belongings & hand them to the pool butler. I know a few have said pax may get unhinged if you touch someone's belongings. Well, if you like constantly turning the other cheek & suffering in silence, that's fine. As for me I'll take the chance. I've had a few hogs get po'ed & I tell them take it up with guest services. When I see their name stenciled on the lounger, then I'll back off. By the way "reserve" clips will be removed before the 30 min. is up. Sorry, pax don't own the loungers. A little tip however will help. Look to see if the lounge chair is wet. That's a sign of recent use.

Here's the deal...ask the folks sitting next to the "hogged" chairs if anyone is sitting there. They will tell you yes, or no. If they say "No"...take the stuff to the pool attendant, say "I found this" and sit your ass in the chair. (This is assuming there is NO other chair available)...and IF the miscreants come back...say, "I'm sorry...this chair was vacant! Talk to the pool attendant!"....that should take care of the matter nicely.

I sat on a chair that was reserved by a flip and a book from the ship's library. I placed the stuff on the flop chair and sat down. When they finally came along (45 minutes after I was sitting there) I ignored them. They shrugged, picked up their stuff and walked away.

I did have a lady freak on me once and I didn't even do anything wrong. Apparently she had 2 chairs "saved" outside of cafe, where the rail curves to get to the other side of the ship. The people near the edge moved chairs to the other side to make room and we took them, so now we were on the end. I'm sitting there, minding my own, and I hear "WHAT HAPPENED HERE!!!???". I'm like.....what? She was pissed cause she was no longer "on the end". I said really loud, "I didn't move anything, I have witnesses (pointing to them)". They laughed, apparently this was a daily thing for the crazy lady. They set me up. I thought it was pretty funny and kept using the "what happened here" line for the rest of the trip.

And what about the card players, who refuse to use the card room, but instead occupy a table in the buffet when tables are at a premium or Cafe Al Bacio when an empty table is hard to find. We have complained but just get the shrugged shoulder.

..By the way "reserve" clips will be removed before the 30 min. is up. Sorry, pax don't own the loungers. A little tip however will help. Look to see if the lounge chair is wet. That's a sign of recent use.

This is just looking for trouble and a deeply flawed approach IMO. Guests have every right to clip towels to the lounger. Start removing what is clearly someone's personal belongings (not just a towel) and this includes clips before the 30 minutes and you deserve to be challenged yourself.

I will just move stuff if it is only a towel Too bad. Chairs are to be used. All the chair hoggers know there are not enough chairs. You do not have the right to “reserve” a chair, then disappear for an hour to eat lunch or go back to your room. You can come back and find a different chair. If you are actually in the water, that’s different. It’s easy to tell the difference between someone who left stuff on the chair and the chair hog - single towel, book, or flip flop. Especially if it is a flip flop. That’s rude to put a dirty flip flop on a chair. Popcorn anyone?

In a perfect world that would work, but alas it's not a perfect world and I don't see X or any other line, risking the loss of someone's business over a lounge chair and that's part of the problem.

The fallacy in this is clear: Celebrity might not offend the offenders, but they certainly are offending the offended.

wow

first, consider:

"the broken windows theory is a criminological theory of the norm-setting and signaling effect of urban disorder and vandalism on additional crime and anti-social behavior. The theory states that maintaining and monitoring urban environments to prevent small crimes such as vandalism, public drinking, and turnstile-jumping helps to create an atmosphere of order and lawfulness, thereby preventing more serious crimes from happening."

in the absence of enforcement by the cruise line, chair hog bullies are allowed and therefore proliferate. On one recent cruise where we experienced several days of cold weather, the majority of the loungers in the solarium were "reserved" with a towel, a paperback/magazine, and a flip flop by 6-6:30 am. Many of the same loungers were "reserved" hours later and the staff attendants were doing nothing to pick up the abandoned materials.

We all need to call chair hogs what they are, bullies, and demand enforcement of the rules by cruise line staff.

If good people say nothing, they are allowing the chair hogs to bully them.

And what about the card players, who refuse to use the card room, but instead occupy a table in the buffet when tables are at a premium or Cafe Al Bacio when an empty table is hard to find. We have complained but just get the shrugged shoulder.

…or those that send someone into the theater in the evening to save multiple chairs or sometimes almost an entire row. It is good preshow entertainment watching someone trying to save multiple chairs from others. Like a chicken running around with it's head cut off.

…or those that send someone into the theater in the evening to save multiple chairs or sometimes almost an entire row. It is good preshow entertainment watching someone trying to save multiple chairs from others. Like a chicken running around with it's head cut off.

Now here is a new idea.... You must check out or reserve a chair. At our theater when you buy a ticket, you pick your assigned seats.

Maybe a "Pool Chair App" can be developed. Number all the chairs on the ship. Select the chair you want and the time you want it. Then if the chair sensor does not note movement for 45-minutes or longer it will then become available. Each chair will be equipted with a light that turns green when available and red when in use.

Okay... yea a little over the top. Please don't take me too seriously other than I agree the chair hogs are simply self centered rude people who must WALK THE PLANK!

This is something that really annoys me. If you want a pot of tea or a specialty coffee that is not in a paper cup, you have to be seated in the cafe. There are plenty of places to play cards if you do not want a drink, and most of the card players are not ordering anything or even looking out of the window.

Sheila

We have talked to some of the crew on X (including one who is a true friend) and have been told that Pool Butlers (staff that works the pool deck) are told to try and avoid any confrontation with passengers. That policy does conflict with the 30 minute policy on leaving stuff on a chair (after 30 minutes goods will be removed and you can claim it at lost and found).. As passengers we also have no interest in confrontation....unless we cannot find a lounger/chair...and see many that are empty with "stuff" used to reserve. If we see a chair empty for a half hour we will simply take it! Any personal items are simply turned over to a Pool Butler with a comment like "somebody left this stuff."

As to getting up early, on most sea days I am up very early (DW is still sleeping) and will usually be in a deck chair by 7AM. We take some very long cruises (more than a month) and this is my norm. One day, around noon, a lady came over to me and suggested we give up our chairs to her...since we had been there a long time. She got quite angry when I just started laughing out loud (ROFL would have been appropriate). She argues that we should be willing to "share" our chairs. Go figure.

Hank

I do the same thing, always been an early riser, wife not so much. I usually grab two chairs at the Solarium as I avoid the sun like the plague being a Melanoma patient. One of us is there the whole time we are in those chairs except for being in the pool together. My observations have always been of the people who come down and reserve numerous chairs for later use. Record number I've seen one person reserve was 14 and that was in the Solarium. No one showed up until after 11:00A.M. Have also seen people reserve chairs, go off on shore excursions and then come back.

Also, to the poster who mentioned they don't understand why there are not more areas around the ship where tea is set up. Please keep in mind that for most Americans who are generally the large majority on the ship, tea is not their thing, it is coffee.

This already exists on at least one cruise line. Princess has a restricted area called The Retreat. This is a private section with somewhat deluxe loungers (sun beds) and dedicated staff to serve drinks or limited food items (at a fee). You can rent a lounger for as little as a half day or for a full cruise....but it costs around $40 per day. Another benefit is that its an adult only area.

But all this takes us back to what ships were doing back in the 20s. 30s. 40s and even 50s when you used to have an assigned deck chair (with a steward to provide service). In those days if you were in chilly weather your steward would bundle you up in blankets and serve hot bouillon.

Hank

Unfortunately the Retreat is not by the pool and can be very windy

Now here is a new idea.... You must check out or reserve a chair. At our theater when you buy a ticket, you pick your assigned seats.

Maybe a "Pool Chair App" can be developed. Number all the chairs on the ship. Select the chair you want and the time you want it. Then if the chair sensor does not note movement for 45-minutes or longer it will then become available. Each chair will be equipted with a light that turns green when available and red when in use.

Okay... yea a little over the top. Please don't take me too seriously other than I agree the chair hogs are simply self centered rude people who must WALK THE PLANK!

Not at all. Great for a laugh. ;)

What. Find strange is that this thread is still going. It became boring some months ago. Unless the pool butlers act more strongly, it will be the same in 10 years time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for adding to the thread.:rolleyes:

Unfortunately the Retreat is not by the pool and can be very windy

It depends on the ship. But when it comes to Princess we prefer to get far away from the main pool area since it is often bombarded with "noise" from MUTS. On the Celebrity S-Class ships we also tend to move pretty far away from the pool usually finding relatively quiet area. DW and I spend a lot of time in deck chairs and I prefer to read while listening to my own music. Unfortunately, even my noise canceling headphones cannot block out the annoying CD announcements. The sad fact about cruising is that if you want peace and quiet on deck you must generally book one of the ultra-luxury cruise lines.

Hank

The sad fact about cruising is that if you want peace and quiet on deck you must generally book one of the ultra-luxury cruise lines.

Hank

You can also find an absence of loudspeaker "din" on Azamara, which isn’t an ultra luxury line. It’s one of the reasons I enjoy them so much and why I have fallen out of love with Celebrity after a number of years.

Phil