Alcoves - What's the big deal?

SleepingUgly

We've got a boatload (get it, haha) of OBCs to use on our Silhouette cruise later this year (waaaay later; it's in December) and I was thinking of renting an alcove during one of the four sea days (it's a 12-night cruise). However, I'm trying to understand what I am getting exactly. I get that one pays $249 to have private seating reserved / available for 12 hours that day, with personalized service ... but, is that all? I'm not trying to be facetious, really. I've seen pictures of the alcoves and they seem, I don't know, isolated to me. I'm staring at a small expanse of grass at others lounging in their alcoves, sipping on drinks that I can get with my drink package and eating food that is available to everyone else as well. It's not like we're by the pool so you can people-watch or see activities going on, without having to fight for space / chairs. Or do they provide entertainment in that area, like live music? It would be cool if the alcoves face outward and you see endless sea and the horizon. From what I can gather, it would be like I'm hanging out in my backyard. With strangers surrounding me. Being served food and drink (but that's what my children and husband are for). Am I missing something here? Again, I'm not trying to offend or start anything, but I am just trying to figure out what the $249 charge is all about. Thank you!

We just got off Silhouette's 12 day itinerary. The alcoves were empty every time I was up there, and so was the main lawn. They are an obstruction, and one of the main reasons I prefer Equinox. The folks sitting along side the Sunset Bar at least got to watch a couple of boche games. I don't see the value. Personal opinion.

We thought about it for our Silhouette cruise in November 2018, but decided against using our on-board credit. On the surface, they appear to be fun! But, not sure we would want to be there all day (and spending $249 for the day would make us feel like we need to use it all day). Looks fun for a few hours, but not sure the cost justifies it, for us anyway...

We just got off Silhouette's 12 day itinerary. The alcoves were empty every time I was up there, and so was the main lawn. They are an obstruction, and one of the main reasons I prefer Equinox. The folks sitting along side the Sunset Bar at least got to watch a couple of boche games. I don't see the value. Personal opinion.

Our time on the Silhouette was some time ago, but we thought the same thing. It seemed like a lot of unused space going to waste. Otherwise, we loved the Silhouette.

We love Celebrity but somethings just don’t make sense to us. We did a Alcove on the Reflection- not comfortable for 2 much less 4. Put the top down & you bake (and it is a long way to the pool), put the top up and it’s a dark space.

Some love them but they are not something we would do again.

We love the Alcoves on Reflection. DH needs shade and we don’t enjoy the noise at the pool. The Alcoves provide us with a relaxing spot that chill for the day. We can wander in and out as we wish. We do not get them on sea days (tried it once and it was too windy to have the shade up so for us it was a no go). Everyone enjoys different experiences and we love the Alcoves on port days when we have no plans to leave the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We love the Alcoves on Reflection. DH needs shade and we don’t enjoy the noise at the pool. The Alcoves provide us with a relaxing spot that chill for the day. We can wander in and out as we wish. We do not get them on sea days (tried it once and it was too windy to have the shade up so for us it was a no go). Everyone enjoys different experiences and we love the Alcoves on port days when we have no plans to leave the ship.

We also love the alcove experience and try to book when on the reflection or silly. Very comfortable seating enjoy the service Great place to meet friends and family. No chair hogs If activity is going on, on the lawn wonderful views. We have booked also for sea and port days if we don’t love the port and have been there multiple times. Some people are content with inside cabins others want the suite experience. To each his/her own

We rented an Alcove on a port day on the Silhouette last November. It was hot, my friend barely joined me and it was lonely. We had other friends meet us up there for a drink, but it was "get your own" from the Sunset bar. I saw two different attendants only three times the entire day.

They face inward, so you can stare at the people in the Alcoves across from you. You are also stared at by passengers walking around the deck that surrounds you.

I probably won't do an Alcove again....sitting on my balcony is much better!

We rented an Alcove on a port day on the Silhouette last November. It was hot, my friend barely joined me and it was lonely. We had other friends meet us up there for a drink, but it was "get your own" from the Sunset bar. I saw two different attendants only three times the entire day.

They face inward, so you can stare at the people in the Alcoves across from you. You are also stared at by passengers walking around the deck that surrounds you.

I probably won't do an Alcove again....sitting on my balcony is much better!

Each alcove has a phone in it to call for service when you want a drink or your fruit platter, cheese platter or wine. We also ordered lunch from the porch and the attendants brought that to us.

I never even thought of that - the wind issue on sea days. Unfortunately, that is when we would consider getting one. I am now leaning more and more towards not considering one. We will most likely leave the ship during all port days so won't need one then, for sure. Thanks for your insight!

Waste of money. Go shopping and buy a piece of jewelry...or...a purse or two at Michael Kors...;p

Ugh, I have way too many purses already. Wait ... did I just say that? Sorry, need my morning coffee. I'm obviously not thinking coherently yet this morning ...

We thought about it for our Silhouette cruise in November 2018, but decided against using our on-board credit. On the surface, they appear to be fun! But, not sure we would want to be there all day (and spending $249 for the day would make us feel like we need to use it all day). Looks fun for a few hours, but not sure the cost justifies it, for us anyway...

Haha, that would be me. I'd make the husband and kids stay there all day b/c it's costing us almost $21 per hour, dammit!

I guess if we want privacy, we can always retreat back to our cabins. We have two adjoining aft-facing cabins so the balconies will be a bit bigger as well since the partition will be partially removed. That should make for a nicer, very private location to enjoy the wake / view ... instead of scoping out strangers and being started at by others!

I'm a melanoma patient and don't do the sun. I would never do an Alcove at the price they charge, try the Solarium, has everything you mentioned, shade and very little noise. Nice and relaxing

Lots of places have these type set ups and the prices are usually half the cost. The resort I usually go to in Disney has them and get pretty much the same services with a TV and internet access. Costs $80 on week ends. They also have them at the Disney water parks and for the price they give you the souvenir drink container which you can fill up for free all day. Prices on the ships are just outrageous.

I use my onboard credit in the apple store every time. From bluetooth headphones, new screen savers for the ipad and phones, etc.

OK, now you're just teasing me. This is probably the best idea yet. My "boatload" of OBCs just dwindled to something in the negative zone ...

I hear what you’re saying dkjretired. We go to the Solarium early before it gets too crowded. We sail in AFT Sky Suites and do enjoy our balcony, often napping there for hours on sea days. We had outstanding service in our Alcove in December and already have 2 port days booked for Alcoves for next March. We lived in the Caribbean for several years and often do not get off the ship and we are not fans of port shopping.

We've got a boatload (get it, haha) of OBCs to use on our Silhouette cruise later this year (waaaay later; it's in December) and I was thinking of renting an alcove during one of the four sea days (it's a 12-night cruise). However, I'm trying to understand what I am getting exactly. I get that one pays $249 to have private seating reserved / available for 12 hours that day, with personalized service ... but, is that all? I'm not trying to be facetious, really. I've seen pictures of the alcoves and they seem, I don't know, isolated to me. I'm staring at a small expanse of grass at others lounging in their alcoves, sipping on drinks that I can get with my drink package and eating food that is available to everyone else as well. It's not like we're by the pool so you can people-watch or see activities going on, without having to fight for space / chairs. Or do they provide entertainment in that area, like live music? It would be cool if the alcoves face outward and you see endless sea and the horizon. From what I can gather, it would be like I'm hanging out in my backyard. With strangers surrounding me. Being served food and drink (but that's what my children and husband are for). Am I missing something here? Again, I'm not trying to offend or start anything, but I am just trying to figure out what the $249 charge is all about. Thank you!

Agree with your thoughts. The Alcoves are not in high demand from what I have seen. Perhaps folks with inside cabins who want to be outside but not near the pool or who need to be protected from the sun. The price is outrageous IMO. If you have a balcony not sure why you would pay the price to sit away from the ocean in the wind of the top deck.

I'm a melanoma patient and don't do the sun. I would never do an Alcove at the price they charge, try the Solarium, has everything you mentioned, shade and very little noise. Nice and relaxing

Lots of places have these type set ups and the prices are usually half the cost. The resort I usually go to in Disney has them and get pretty much the same services with a TV and internet access. Costs $80 on week ends. They also have them at the Disney water parks and for the price they give you the souvenir drink container which you can fill up for free all day. Prices on the ships are just outrageous.

YES, this! The cabanas at Disney are wonderful, and I thought they were pricey to begin with. But you do get a lot of "stuff" in your cabana, like the TV. I know, I know, we're not going on vacation to watch TV, but it's nice to have the distraction / entertainment there. And the cabanas are still part of civilization, around the pool so you can still see / be part of the action, not roped off elsewhere with nothing going on around you. I am glad to see that I'm not the only one who's a bit baffled as to what the $249 is all about.

I hear what you’re saying dkjretired. We go to the Solarium early before it gets too crowded. We sail in AFT Sky Suites and do enjoy our balcony, often napping there for hours on sea days. We had outstanding service in our Alcove in December and already have 2 port days booked for Alcoves for next March. We lived in the Caribbean for several years and often do not get off the ship and we are not fans of port shopping.

Question... how do you book an Alcove so far in advance. I can't find it on the X site to book, and it's been mentioned here on CC that the booking feature doesn't open until close to sailing date. What am I missing? Please point me in the right direction.

Question... how do you book an Alcove so far in advance. I can't find it on the X site to book, and it's been mentioned here on CC that the booking feature doesn't open until close to sailing date. What am I missing? Please point me in the right direction.

I booked ours almost a year out. I called and spoke with the dining department.