Is HAL too formal for me?

fredflint

My wife and I have taken 3 Transatlantic cruises recently, Celebrity Reflection, RCCL Allure and NCL Epic. The Epic had great food overall but the cabin was pretty small and there were no guest lectures at all. We are looking at HAL but we don't dress up at all. We pack light and dress casual. With NCL we ate at the buffet most nights since it was really pretty good and we could eat anytime.

I know HAL is more formal and on a longer cruise there will be 3 formal nights but what about the others can I get by with a collared shirt and log pants. I am way past trying to pack a suit we do 2 medium sized bags for a 17 day trip.

I like the idea of a lot of the activities that HAL offers do they have guest lecturers for longer trips like a TA?

We also enjoy balcony time, how comfy are the balcony chairs?

Times and dress codes have changed, on HAL today what you are describing will get you into the MDR on non-gala nights and very possibly on gala nights as well, worst case is you go to the Lido on gala nights.

Can’t speak to guest lecturers but can say that we love HAL and what they offer.

Verandahs are very nice and comfy.

a89cbe149c5a339dc89582898738dd37.jpg

Signature Suite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did a TA in October and we had a series of guest lecturers on different topics. Balcony chairs change with the ship and the type of room you have. I would book a Retreat Cabana for the most comfortable chairs. Not to mention the service and amenities. Your dining room attire will be fine.

I think you'll be fine:

MDR men's dress for non-Gala nights: collared shirts and long pants; no flip flops

MDR men's dress for Gala nights: collared shirts and long pants, no jeans or flip flops

Lido: bathing suits only allowed with cover-ups; no barefeet

Open Dining in MDR: Can make reservations for some time slots, up to 3 days ahead if desired, otherwise walk up to podium 5:15 - 9pm and may have to wait a little bit, they give you a pager to buzz you when the table is ready.

Enjoy, m--

HAL is definitely not a formal cruise line. Think of it more like Celebrity. Long pants and a collared shirt meet the dress code for the MDR and speciality restaurants on all nights. As you really enjoy balcony time, you can also order from the MDR menu at dinner and have it delivered to your cabin to enjoy on the balcony.

If you can dress in something more formal than your swim suit or your pajamas you will be fine. We saw everything on our last cruise including a young man in shorts and a tee shirt in the dining room. No one said anything.

The one thing that I noticed on HAL was that on formal/gala nights, people do stay in their more formal wear into the night. There’s not a mad rush back to the staterooms after dinner to change into something more casual as I’ve seen on other cruise lines

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were recently on Koningsdam. Hal is not excessively formal, although for 'gala night' I'd wear a dress shirt or similar button down shirt (as opposed to collared polo type shirt). Definitely no need for a suit or even a sports coat.

I brought a sports coat and most men probably had something similar, but just a dress shirt and decent slacks would have been fine.

Go ahead and bring a light weight sport coat - always just the right touch when in doubt and you may appreciate the loveliness of the main dining room where it feels good to dress things up a bit. Even a tie - neither take up much packing room and also look good when traveling on the plane too.

Background: we usually avoid the Main Dining Room. We find it too crowded, too noisy, and somewhat pretentious. (Just like all cruise lines.)

I wear cargo pants and polo shirts at night on HAL. No need to bring a sports coat or a tie.

As others have noted, HAL will deliver through room service any thing on the dining room menu.

The 'special menu items' for Gala Night were also available on the buffet.

HAL is more relaxed on board than you might think based upon this forum.

HAL is very relaxed. Heck you can even wear jeans and baseball caps in the MDR.

Unless you can't. In other words, don't count on it. On the Eurodam last month, a couple walked into the MDR and the man was wearing jeans and a baseball cap. The maitre'd asked them to dine elsewhere. SOME dining room managers enforce the dress code. Why gamble when you get wear long pants and a collared shirt and be guaranteed service?

Unless you can't. In other words, don't count on it. On the Eurodam last month, a couple walked into the MDR and the man was wearing jeans and a baseball cap. The maitre'd asked them to dine elsewhere. SOME dining room managers enforce the dress code. Why gamble when you get wear long pants and a collared shirt and be guaranteed service?

And, why not try to dress like a grown up when you go somewhere to eat where other grown ups eat?

Wasn't that the guy who was wearing jeans with holes and a t-shirt? Wonder what would have happened had he been wearing 'nice' jeans with a polo?

Because "grown-ups" can have different opinions of how "grown-ups" dress.

I suppose I have to concede that specific point: one particular adult can have the opinion that tee shirt, cargo shorts and a backwards baseball cap represent sufficient attire in a dining room where it is suggested (but not strongly enforced) that collared shirts and long trousers should be worn.

Yes, he does have a different opinion. However, the fact remains that all opinions are not equally appropriate in all environments.

Go ahead and bring a light weight sport coat - always just the right touch when in doubt and you may appreciate the loveliness of the main dining room where it feels good to dress things up a bit. Even a tie - neither take up much packing room and also look good when traveling on the plane too.

I second this suggestion, even though I don't think the OP is open to it.

For men who may be at least open to the idea, but are generally against ever donning a sport coat again, I say why not go ahead and bring one that may be sitting in your closet, and just leave it behind when you disembark?

Wasn't that the guy who was wearing jeans with holes and a t-shirt? Wonder what would have happened had he been wearing 'nice' jeans with a polo?

In that case, I honestly think THIS dining room manager would have still requested that he change or dine elsewhere. We talked to him later and he said that they had to turn away a lot of people in shorts on the Bermuda cruise -- I'm GUESSING this manager sticks to the guidelines. I can't swear to it, but I know some do and some don't.